News   Apr 29, 2024
 150     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 340     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.9K     6 

University Avenue Triangle

A sculpture or monument of sorts would be perfect for this spot, and the triangle will continue to look better as all the plantings mature with time.

emotdownswordsis8.gif
Hahaha, this is why graffiti is awesome.

Well who pays for anything? It's basically a matter of priorities, isn't it? All the more so in a city like Toronto where traditionally there really doesn't appear to be much political motivation or power for the funding of aesthetics, design or style. The motivations here residing at the micro level rather than at the macro, which is to say among the numerous cultural, ethnic and neighbourhood self-interest groups that wield the most power and influence. I think this is changing as Toronto grows and matures, and as more 'outsiders' flood into the many condos sprouting up all over the place demanding more from the built environment that surrounds them, and as said before City Beautiful is really just an empty nod to this.

Which is something Miller is trying to change. He certainly isn't perfect, but his City Beautiful campaign has led to some noticeable improvements in the public realm. To enhance the design and beauty of public areas in the city on a wide scale will require the kind of capital that just isn't available now. In the meanwhile, steps are being taken in the right direction.

I get the feeling if this was someone other than Miller you wouldn't have such a problem with it.

Regarding the final product, it seems a little underwhelming now, but it should improve quite a bit with time. One of the big problems is that no matter how beautiful they make the triangle, lousy sidewalks and light posts surrounding it will still detract from the overall product. It's all in the details.

Hahaha, this is why graffiti is awesome.

Until you can provide a coherent defence of criminal vandalism, that which you find "awesome", I'll take it you have nothing more to contribute other than empty, juvenile retorts, which more or less characterizes most of your posts anyway.

I get the feeling if this was someone other than Miller you wouldn't have such a problem with it.

Syn, I do not have a personal axe to grind with Miller. I'm just judging on what I see, and I would criticize in the same way if it were somebody else. That said, how is it unfair to implicate Miller in the failure of City beautiful when he has been the one in power and the one at the helm of this toothless agenda? Where does the buck stop?

What were you looking for, Tewder?

Well I'm not a designer or planner but it seems to me that this triangle forms a very prominent visual node in a very prominent area of the city, much in the same way as traffic circles do in Europe. Looking at examples there and in North America (Columbus Circle in Manhattan for instance) I would think that an investment in something far more commanding with far more symbolism or aesthetic appeal, at least, would be called for. Again, it's all relative and in a quieter more off-the-track corner the landscaping provided would be more than appropriate and satisfying. Cutting ribbons indicates something grand and important. Low-level ground cover and some pergolas (is that what they are?) do not.

Until you can provide a coherent defence of criminal vandalism, that which you find "awesome", I'll take it you have nothing more to contribute other than empty, juvenile retorts, which more or less characterizes most of your posts anyway.

I am fully capable of delivering a retort as exuberantly verbose as you, good sir, however I shall decline henceforth and forthwith as I favour graffiti of the artistic mural variety and not delinquent tagging, and as such we are more or less "on the same page" as it were, indubitably. I would no more wish vandalism upon this lush municipal parkette than you, so at this juncture I will bid you adieu.

Well I'm not a designer or planner but it seems to me that this triangle forms a very prominent visual node in a very prominent area of the city, much in the same way as traffic circles do in Europe. Looking at examples there and in North America (Columbus Circle in Manhattan for instance) I would think that an investment in something far more commanding with far more symbolism or aesthetic appeal, at least, would be called for. Again, it's all relative and in a quieter more off-the-track corner the landscaping provided would be more than appropriate and satisfying. Cutting ribbons indicates something grand and important. Low-level ground cover and some pergolas (is that what they are?) do not.

I agree with your desire to see something more prominent here, but in the absence of a local movement to create some specific memorial of some kind, I am glad to have the Fairmont hotel stepping up to the plate to improve the triangle.

I'm prepared to create a small Plasticine maquette for a Monument To The Unknown Graffiti "Artist" Being Throttled By Fiendishlibrarian if someone can raise funds for a much larger version to be cast in bronze that we can set up there in the dead of night sometime.

I'm prepared to create a small Plasticine maquette for a Monument To The Unknown Graffiti "Artist" Being Throttled By Fiendishlibrarian if someone can raise funds for a much larger version to be cast in bronze that we can set up there in the dead of night sometime.

I'd be willing to make a contribution.

I remember the SNL skit where Rudy Giuliani (as himself) tells New Yorkers that his new graffiti plan is to personally write the word "sucks" after every tag. So if you write your name on a park bench, he would come up and write "sucks" right after it. Hilarious.

Of course, this was the Rudy Giuliani of the 90's I could sympathize with. The kind who had enough self-mocking homour to dress up like Marilyn Monroe as a joke, and not the maniacal post-Bush "drill baby drill!" Giuliani.

The weedy, uninspired choice of plantings ( mostly Black-Eyed Susans, Purple Coneflowers and dwarf Junipers by the look of it ... ) fill in the available space conventionally rather than enlivening it, and emphasize the barren, Concrete Island nature of the site ... in the worst way.

If the landscape architect had embraced the possibilities of gruesome public space head on we might have seen something bolder and better - a Cadillac Ranch sort of solution maybe. That cute little faux handcar parked off to one side might have been better employed - up on rollercoaster tracks maybe - and the whole thing reinvented as a head-turner to delight, surprise, and engage pedestrians.

Back