News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 762     0 

University Avenue Triangle

FutureMayor

Member Bio
Reaction score
City, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts host University Avenue Triangle groundbreaking ceremony

Toronto Mayor David Miller and City Councillor Adam Vaughan (Ward 20 Trinity-Spadina), Brian Richardson, Vice President of Brand Marketing and Communications at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, and Heather McCrory, Regional Vice President and General Manager of The Fairmont Royal York will officially kick-off a joint partnership to improve the Triangle bordered by Front St. and two branches of University Ave.

Date: Thursday, November 8 (rain or shine)
Time: 3 p.m.
Location: Library Room, Fairmont Royal York, 100 Front St. W. (Mezzanine Level)

Followed by a photo-op at the Triangle on top of the Green P parking lot, located north of Front St, between two branches of University Ave.

To celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2007, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is partnering with the City of Toronto to revitalize this small and prominent location. With its corporate headquarters located in the downtown core and the Fairmont Royal York close by, the redesigned Triangle will reflect Fairmont’s Canadian roots, its strong connection to Toronto’s railway heritage as well as its progressive environmental commitments while providing an oasis for local workers and visitors.

The Triangle, scheduled to open in 2008, is being designed by the MBTW Group. Over the winter, Fairmont will also work with the City to engage Toronto schoolchildren in naming the new space.

It sad that it takes a private company to fund the sprucing up one of Toronto's key gateways. However, the good thing is that finally something is finally happening!

Louroz

It sad that it takes a private company to fund the sprucing up one of Toronto's key gateway.

Why is it "sad"? It isn't like other cities doesn't want/have private sector stewardship and/or funding for public spaces. Hell, if it wasn't funded privately, you'd have mayors chastizing Toronto for not running their cities like a business and only wanting government handouts. Can't win, can you?

AoD

In The Corporation of the City of Missisauga Inc. (official name) private developers and capital pay for everything.

I was hoping that something would happen to this site for a while now- it is small, but something interesting could be done. I think the question remains, what are the intentions? I understand the concept of making the site more attractive, but how is more important.

Nice to hear something is finally being done though..I look forward to seeing what the plans are..

p5

First Big Step

It is sad because I'm willing to bet that if Fairmount didn't step in, the triangle would have just sat there.

In the ideal world the city would have realized the potential of this gateway long ago and ideally would have done something about it. It took a private company's 100th anniversary to make something happen.

I'm guessing your comments there were directed towards Mississauga and Hazel McCallion directly. I don't know how focusing on that helps anyone in Toronto. Mississauga has its own problems and is dealing with it. Just the other day I heard that Council is planning to impose a $50 yearly levy on each household to help specifically fund future infrastructure costs.

Which brings me to the lesson, of course you can win. Toronto's first big step towards winning was approving the new taxes, using the new powers given to it by the Province, which no other city in Ontario has.

I didn't agree with Miller's inital strategy in getting them approved, yet in the end they were and we can move forward from there.

On that point, asking a CONSERVATIVE federal government, with NO SEATS, even within sight of Toronto for 1 cent of the GST probably was a misguided idea, however asking a LIBERAL provincial government, with almost ALL THE SEATS within Toronto, with the added bonus of an ELECTION taking place, for 1 cent of the PST probably would have been a better idea for Miller.

Louroz

hope someone won't mind clarifying... but is this the island thing in front of jack astor's?

yet another thing to boggle the mind about the city is the fact that they've recently done a bunch of landscaping work on 2 similar triangles at Adelaide and Parliament and somwhere around Eastern and Sumach. Basically 2 locations in the middle of nowhwere with very little pedestrian traffic. Yet, they ignore one smack in the middle of the city that thousands of tourists walk by every day and leave it up to Fairmont to fix. it's been a shambles for years

Announcements of new towers are always exciting, but this is the sort of urban planning announcement that really makes me happy.

I fail to see why it's sad, does the city even own that whole triangle? Most of it is taken up by a ramp to a parking garage. Is that owned by the city or is it Fairmont or 1 University Ave? The cities done a lot over the years to attract tourists, if a major hotel wants to give back I think one could say it's a happy event not a sad one.

The real sad part of the story

The real sad part is that many focused more on the first part of my comments about private development, rather than the more positive second part that something is being done about the problem.

...sprucing up one of Toronto's key gateways. However, the good thing is that finally something is finally happening!

Louroz

If that's the more important aspect of what you trying to convey, maybe you shouldn't have added the first part...if there's one thing this forum loves doing aside from complaining about complaining, it's harping on the lesser details.

I wonder if the triangle bit will become a place where people will want to spend more than 5 seconds in...no one spends time in the other public spaces in the medians further up University.

And just to continue harping on the negative aspect of Future Mayor's comment and private sector involvement, in Quebec City, the legendary Simon's department store is installing a beautiful ornate/beaux art fountain in front of the Quebec legislature as their gift to the city. Quebec City will be celebrating its 400th anniversary in 2008. Cost is several hundred thousand dollars.

Back