News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     3 

TTC York University BRT

Definitely agreed that this is a waste of money. Just as talk of a BRT on Yonge is a complete waste of money. Just extend the subway.

The TTC has known about the Finch West LRT since plan was announced in March 2007 by Giambrone to the public. I'm sure the TTC knew about it in 2006, in time to consider that as an alternative to building in the hydro corridor.

In any case, this is why people here have lost all faith in transit projects. Why is it that highway and road widenings can just happen fairly easily, while all transit projects and repaving road projects are like passing kidney stones - slow and brutally painful.

So, what if TTC knew about TC in 2007 when this BRT has been on the books before 2004 when I first learn of it got to do with it?

TTC never saw TC coming in 2006 as it was the Mayor office that came up with the plan and then tell TTC "now come up with a plan and numbers to built it as well a timeline".

Blame York University for not having it built 2 years ago.

Blame Traffic department for road widening as they are car folks who think cars are more important than transit.

Blame the public for allow this as they are lambs with only a few of them voicing their concerns and do something about it.

TTC is not the fall guy on this.

Noticed today pylons places south of Sheppard next to the centre barrier and reducing the road to 2+ lanes.

Photo's of today walking tour with the light getting brighter for a November opening. More construction at Dufferin and Finch with bus stop on the north side for northbound now.

It will be interesting to see if transit gets better control with the traffic priority signals with embed censor in the ROW well before the intersections.

There is a photo how the northbound buses turn onto the ROW off Dufferin St

Sept 20

Things really have change since my last visit and looks like TTC will get their BRT in Nov now.

A lot more equipment on site and that goes a long way getting thing finish a lot faster.

The section from Dufferin St to where the asphalt ends west of Alness St is ready for paving. We can see the area is clear where the asphalts stops for continuation of the road to the east.

No light poles wiring is in place yet and is just starting.

Where the asphalt stop at the top of the hill heading toward the tracks is clear also as that area is ready for paving to the west side of the track.

Rail crossing barrier and flashers are in place and waiting hookup.

The area to the west of the track is still waiting for the retaining wall to be built as well back fill.

Most of the road to the west of this area to Keele St is ready for paving as well the insulation of the light poles.

The traffic lights at Keele St intersection have been relocated. Saw a 196 heading toward the campus to use the ROW there.

Saw a few cars using the ROW that should not been there in the first place.

A lot of leaking buses using the eastbound lane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DwF1Uj7os4

The priority signals need to be shorten for pedestrian crossing by 5 seconds and more considering how short of crossing it is in the first place. Buses are stopping to wait for the light to change before crossing Pond and this show up cleanly in the video if they are doing the speed limit in the first place. If they are doing more which I saw, then a longer wait with no traffic in sight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fVEQh1Fw54

The contractor is taking his sweet time at Downsview as he just finally to start the left hand turn lane into Downsview and I see not traffic signals footing in the complete area that just been finish after many months sitting haft finish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taYEWr78Ng4

Update

I get a pretty view of the Hydro corridor construction from my office. The lights have been installed on Alness St., and both the East and West sides have had curbs installed. It looks like the West side has had street lamps installed and will be ready for ashphalt pretty soon.

I'm disappointed that the buses will seem to have to wait for any trains going by at that rail line intersection in the hydro field... That can spell disaster if it's anything but a GO train.

Also, the traffic light for the busway at Pond Rd is ridiculous. It doesn't seem to have sensors placed, as it just randomly decides to turn red for cars even if there is no bus coming, and stay that way for a good minute before turning green for the cars just as a bus is approaching. Defeats the purpose. They need a sensor half way down the busway to trigger a red light by the time it reaches the traffic light.

I'm disappointed that the buses will seem to have to wait for any trains going by at that rail line intersection in the hydro field... That can spell disaster if it's anything but a GO train.

How many trains actually go by that rail line intersection? I'd be surprised if it was even near double digits through the course of a normal school day (7:30 - 17:30) and half of those would be GO.

How many trains actually go by that rail line intersection? I'd be surprised if it was even near double digits through the course of a normal school day (7:30 - 17:30) and half of those would be GO.

I have no idea. That's kind of why I was wondering, because it IS in the middle of an industrial area, so I'd assume that it would be a pretty busy line.

Also, the traffic light for the busway at Pond Rd is ridiculous. It doesn't seem to have sensors placed, as it just randomly decides to turn red for cars even if there is no bus coming, and stay that way for a good minute before turning green for the cars just as a bus is approaching. Defeats the purpose. They need a sensor half way down the busway to trigger a red light by the time it reaches the traffic light.

Did you look at my video of that light and it shows the count down starts at 20, forcing the bus to stop and wait. Since this is a small crossing, 10 is all that is needed.

I expect to see some buses doing more than 50 on that ROW.

I stood there for 15 minutes on a Sunday and never saw it change until a bus show up.

As for trains, Geee!!! don't know of any place where buses come first over trains. Given the fact that there is only peak service for a few trains is not going to kill BRT service. Even going to 30 minutes for all day will be about 2 minute delay. GO is the only thing that runs during the day with CN doing it at night.

Oct 11

Miller was working on the ROW on Sunday.

Crews were grading the curb area from the RR crossing to the east to Alness as they are pouring a 3' high retaining barrier on the north side and then do the south side

No pavement west of Dufferin for about 200'. Curbs in place.

There is a light post on the south side that looks like it has sank haft way as the rest are higher.

Non of the pole have been wire. All the poles are up on the north side

The RR crossing has the final top coat lay for it and part of the road on either side of it also.

The retaining wall on the west side of the RR and the road is still not finish.

Miller will be finish in Nov, but went is unknown.

Down at Downsview, the new entrance into the station off Allen Rd is near completion.

I see why I was not seeing any footing for the traffic lights as they are now strung high overhead from poles on either side of the road.

Photo's up on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVzSuOyowdU ROW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wRjOilh24o Downsview

Just wanted to update everyone that projected completion for road work is approximately November 2009. I haven't been made aware of major delays yet, but of course that could change :).

Opening DEC 2010

The weather is going to determent when this ROW is going to open at this time.

As it stands now, mid to late Nov or more likely, Dec.

Rest of the concrete retaining wall will be pour this week along with section missing in various spot between the walls already pour.

Grading is taking place for the shoulder so catch basins can be install.

Parts of the ROW has received the base asphalt over by Dufferin St as well by the RR crossing that were not done the last time I was up here.

That short light post has had the light removed from it.

I would not be surprise to see some guard railing be install where there is no concrete barrier wall.

New sidewalk ready for pouring over by Keele St.

Once the sidewalk is pour, you will have to walk on angle to get to the other side as the current crossing stop in the middle of the ROW. It also one reason the south medium was move to the south to get the crosswalk in.

Would not be surprise to see this intersection repave.

Sensors still have to be install into the road for the traffic lights and that will not happen until the top coat of asphalt is put down.

The real use of the ROW will not take place until January when class's begins then.

Caught the KW VIA train heading north on the tracks and caught me off guard for getting a video of it as it cross the road. VIA using this route this weekend end as the Georgetown line has been removed at Old Weston Rd for removal of exiting water lines and sewers before pile driving can take place.

A Wheel Tran try to use this ROW, but too soon for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmn02GmTnVw

Down at Downsview Station
The northbound lanes have been repaved and mark as well the southbound lane into the station. You can see the yellow markings to keep drivers out of the southbound turning lane.

What!!! Construction taking place on that new section already. Gee!! where that other sidewalk to use in place of this one?? when there an express road in the way???. Oh!! we will use TTC station.

All marked and waiting sensors for the traffic lights to be install as well turn on. The car folks are going to love this light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oM-gkd7ctA

Last edited:
That looks like a pedestrian crossing for the south entrance of Downsview across Allen Road. Why would any pedestrians cross Allen Road here?

Seems dumb to have a crossing there, as there are zero pedestrians there, and no reason for any to be there ever as there is no entrance to the station.

I would have thought that this light would only affect northbound traffic and that southbound would be unaffected, as there wont be any buses turning south on Allen Road.

I sure hope they time this light properly, as it better not be red when the light at Sheppard is green for northbound traffic!!!

Dufferin/Allen road have already been crippled by all the unnecessary lights added over the last few years.

I personally think this special light for southbound buses to turn into the station is poor planning and 'anti-car'. It would have been cheaper to simply improve the left turn lane for transit at Sheppard by making a separate 2nd turn lane for the bus. This BRT is pretty temporary, after 2015, it will barely get any usage except for the 105/117 that will use it every 20 - 30 mins.

I Don't see a break in the median for where a pedestrian crossing would go, so hopefully those lines that look they are for a crossing are only where northbound traffic would stop for buses.

Wasn't the southbound entrance lane into Downsview station planned to start north of Sheppard and extend through the intersection? It looks like it starts south of sheppard in the pictures.

Back