News   Jul 11, 2024
 332     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 478     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 672     0 

TTC York University BRT

hmm, I wasn't aware of these street scape improvements. It's a relatively minor change but would make the intersection somewhat more appealing than what it is now. Since since 4 condo towers are going up on the NW corner, the NE corner will see more traffic soon as those unit owners will soon be using the NE entrance to access the subway.

What is wrong with using transit funding to improve the street scape? Our streets look awful with those ugly metal polls and unsightly boxes and traffic signals. Any improvement such as paving stones, more trees is well worth the relatively negligent cost.

To be honest, one of the most appealing aspects of TC is that it will remake the street-scape into a more urban environment by hopefully burying the ugly wooden polls and hydro cables and making the streets look more presentable, greener with nicer sidewalks.

I was told by a reliable source that while Viva and GO (particularly deadheads to/from Steeprock garage) would love to use the busway, they would have to pay rent to the TTC to use it, since the TTC paid for it.

I don't know the situation with GO, but VIVA will be using the busway come January. They didn't want to institute a mid-board route change, and they need some time to install the new VIVAstations anyways.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

An art component for busway. Now I've heard it all. Maybe we'd get more transit infrastructure built if we didn't have to tack on a ton of unrelated crap to appease the NIMBYs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the streetscaping improvements on TC routes come out of the TC budget?

Public art is a very small component (roughly 1%) of TTC capital projects. This is actually a good piece that will clean up that northeast corner of Allen/Sheppard and add some visual interest to a very desolate environment.

Viva and TTC made a deal not too long ago to allow TTC passengers to use Viva buses and vice versa from York U to Downsview to ease pressure on the 196 routes. I suppose that's the trade-off as opposed to paying "rent".

How long would this entire process have taken if it was a City of Toronto streets project, rather than a TTC "rapid transit" project? Two months? Three months?

Only in Toronto would paving a mile and a half of new road and installing a few lights take years.

How long would this entire process have taken if it was a City of Toronto streets project, rather than a TTC "rapid transit" project? Two months? Three months?

Only in Toronto would paving a mile and a half of new road and installing a few lights take years.

I am really getting tired of all these factually wrong swipes at the TTC,

The construction did not take years,

Damn near exactly as long or possibly longer since York U would never have agreed to a works driven project in the first place.

The actual construction firm likely would have been the same regardless of the agency driving it; and the maps for utilities still would have been bad causing all sorts of delays.

Last edited:

Back