News   Jul 11, 2024
 314     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 468     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 669     0 

TTC York University BRT

I can't tell from the picture where the lines which look like they are for a cross walk are located. There is no other picture which shows them and the picture two frames later which is where I would have guessed the other picture was taken shows lines in a different configuration.

The new light will only affect northbound traffic. Expect more lights in the future though.

Attachments

• Downsview.jpg
    Downsview.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 261
i sure hope you are right. As for more lights, the future is slow. At some point walking will be only way to get around this city.
I can't tell from the picture where the lines which look like they are for a cross walk are located. There is no other picture which shows them and the picture two frames later which is where I would have guessed the other picture was taken shows lines in a different configuration.

The new light will only affect northbound traffic. Expect more lights in the future though.

Anybody know the cost per km for this project?

The last figure was $30m from York to Downsview station.

The only thing done on Dufferin was adding the lanes between Finch and the ROW, rebuild the east sidewalk with retaining wall. New sidewalk at Finch on the south side and rework the north turning lane. Need to look back to early video's for this work

Rebuilt the left hand turn at Sheppard, add new southbound turning lane and sidewalk for a block. Need to look back to early video's for this work

Add turning lane into the station as well rebuilt the south end for this new entrance. As per my photo's.

You do the math

It opens

BRT to York open this coming Monday, November 23 (from Transit Toronto)

about time this opens.

With the new bus lanes built north of Steeles, I wish the city also widened Dufferin from Steeles to the busway to improve 105/117 travel times.

^ Technically, added curb lanes north of Steeles are not bus-only, but HOV (buses, taxis, cars with 2 or more persons).

Curb lanes south of Finch HC are now bus-only.

oh, i thought they were. In any case it would be a good idea to widen this stretch.

I rode the new busway from York U to Downsview on Friday around 3PM. There was a ttc official on the bus telling the passengers about the busway. The driver also told us to ignore the automated stop announcements since they hadn't been updated yet. He made the stop announcements himself.

It's pretty fast, however we were slowed down many times:
We had to wait at 4 red lights:
- York U Busway and Murray ross,
- Murray Ross and Keele,
- Hydro corridor Busway and Alness,
- Dufferin and Sheppard

We also
- stopped at the railroad tracks
- slowed almost to a stop at the York U Busway and The Pond Road because of a depression in the pavement.

Why is there such a problem in pavement which is not even a year old?

I took note of a car ahead of us as we turned on to Dufferin, and by the time we got to Downsview, it was way behind us. The bus lanes definitely speed things up. However, there are still cars driving in the bus lanes. This is likely because they didn't notice that the signs had changed and thought it was still an HOV lane. The city should pant BUS LANE in big letters on the road to make it more obvious.

At the train tracks, all transit buses (as well as school buses should they somehow end up on the busway) have to turn on their 4-way hazard lights, come to a stop, open their front doors and side window, look and listen, then close their door and window, drive over the tracks, and once clear of the tracks turn off their 4-way hazard lights.

5 demerit points for the driver if they fail to do so.

Last edited:
I know, I was just listing the stops that we had to make on route.

The problem could be avoided with a bridge over the railway tracks, but I agree with the others here: that's not worth the money or trouble.

$13m for either a underpass or overpass. I agree it not needed.

Traffic lights timing needs tweaking and I said that when buses started to use the ROW on York land back in Sept. The whole route has timing issue.

Traffic in the bus lane was heavy on Dufferin St in both direction.

Been trying to upload some video's of the busway, but youtube rejecting for some reason when others are been loaded with no problems.

Back