News   May 21, 2024
 223     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 269     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.3K     5 

TTC Website

That's exactly what happened when I looked at it too.. then saw schedule pages, which I liked, and the subway station pages, which i loved, because it looks like it becomes a hub, showing direct links to all the connecting routes and extended information like escalators

The elevator information will really come in handy. I just hope they can keep it up to date. Maybe they can add an "information last updated at ___"

HTTP Status 500 on beta.ttc.ca

Got an error when I tried to post this comment on their survey:
The pages should have a "last updated on June 05, 2008" message somewhere on the page.
As well, in the contacts page, there should be one for the webmaster.
One last point, how about a user blog. Where user comments and threads can be posted and read by the everyone, including TTC employees and management. Unless the TTC firewall does allow access to the outside blogs.
Must be sometime I said. Sorry. Found a bug.

^^Dude, I am sure there are going to be lots of bugs- that is the nature of a beta version-lol!. That said, it looks fairly good, but I hope that when they finally launch it that they make sure that they look at the details.

p5

Wow. That is much better than I expected. Obviously, some work still needs to be done, but it's a million times better than their current site.

I LOVE the new station pages. They are very helpful, especially the elevators section. The schedules are awesome too, way easier to read than they were before, especially with the visual marker for branches rather than just a letter. The next scheduled bus thing is very helpful as well.

I love the fact that they've listed every single stop for the routes now, rather than just timepointed ones. It'd be nice if they put an approximate time of arrival for the stops between timepoints, even if they just extrapolated the numbers, but I assume that's something that will be in the trip planner.

Overall, I have a very good opinion of this site.

EDIT: And now it's showing a server error. Wonderful.

EDIT2: And now it's not. Strange.

In the past half an hour, it's been posted to Spacing, BlogTO, and the Star.. more than likely it's on a server that isn't meant to handle that traffic yet, considering it's a beta site.

It's not bad. It's definitely an improvement. I like how it has the next stop and connections at the side. The pictures of the stations should be clickable though.

Looks nice but they should post the full schedules. No more "FS" BS.
I'm sure we'd like that, but what about the typical user? What's easier to read?

A) "Oh, there's a bus every ten minutes or less!"

or

B) "Oh, there are buses at 3:45, 3:50, 3:53, 3:57, 4:01..." etc

Ten minutes or less is "easier to read". But what does easiness of reading have to do with it? It's a transit service, as much information should be provided to the user as possible. At very least it should say "Every 6-8 minutes" or whatever is actually scheduled. Also, ten minutes is a long time to wait when standing in the rain.

And even then, it's still strange how they post schedules. A route that is 10 minutes or less all day long doesn't simply say that; it's a jumbled mess of "10 minutes or less" in some places and actual departure times in others.

I think the actual departure times for "FS" routes are posted where there's multiple branches leading to different destinations. If all branches at a time period are "FS" then it just says so.

I agree that an "every x minutes" makes more sense versus "FS"

But "FS" could stand for so many different things - "F---ing Slow" or "Full of S---" or "Fictional Service".

"FS" is just used to save space isn't it? I think it is not about making it easier to read, just the amount of trips that can fit on a printed timetable, and I think they did not bother to change it when posting on the website.

A better link
http://www.beta.ttc.ca/

Seen better and needs more improvement.

History page is nice info, but blame.

I dunno, I just don't see the point in putting exact times during those periods. If service is coming every ten minutes or less, it doesn't matter if you know the exact time it's coming because there is always a bus right around the corner. If there are large gaps in service when FS is on the schedule (ahem 501 ahem), it wouldn't matter if the exact times were there because it'll be off schedule anyway.

It's like demanding exact schedules for the subway. Nobody ever asks for them because there is always a train a few minutes away. I'm sure that if we were running subway trains every fifteen minutes, there'd be exact schedules, but service isn't infrequent enough to require them. Same with buses. For example, doesn't the Finch East run something like every two or three minutes at rush hour? Does it really require a schedule at those times with service that frequent?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the obvious space saving.

The beta is certainly an improvement over the existing site. It's a simple yet very presentable design. I especially like the pages for each subway station, which includes a photo of the station and floorplans.

However, the majority of the website appears to be text-based. I'd like to see the text balanced with some well-designed graphics (similar to the much-improved graphics the TTC is using on its new posters in stations and on vehicles). At least, the TTC should use the TTC font somewhere on its website (it's already been used extensively on the new posters adverting its Day Pass).

I wonder if the TTC could develop a "fan site" devoted to technical and historical information that transit fans would like. The TTC can even offer "official" desktop wallpapers, screensavers, ringtones, etc. for download.

Back