News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 991     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

Seeing a 508 in service this afternoon was quite a trip.
Does anyone know if the operators actually let you ride up north Parliament to Dundas, or do they kick you out at the last stop on King East?
It used to be hit and miss. Some would let you go north at least to Queen. Some would always throw you out at King and Parliament.

Had a look this week for Adelaide and looks like York intersection is about ready to have tracks and switches built for the intersection, They were tearing up some of the northbound track north of the intersection. This will allow TTC to connect to the track west of York, but too much work going on for the east side.

The missing section east of Yonge still in the same shape that I last saw it a month ago.

The road on the northside of the new track east of Bay to Victoria have been repaved, The south side road area between Bay and Yonge has seen the asphalt removed to allow repairs to the concrete base as well sidewalk and will be pave in the coming weeks.

photos to follow

Had a look this week for Adelaide and looks like York intersection is about ready to have tracks and switches built for the intersection, They were tearing up some of the northbound track north of the intersection. This will allow TTC to connect to the track west of York, but too much work going on for the east side.

The missing section east of Yonge still in the same shape that I last saw it a month ago.

The road on the northside of the new track east of Bay to Victoria have been repaved, The south side road area between Bay and Yonge has seen the asphalt removed to allow repairs to the concrete base as well sidewalk and will be pave in the coming weeks.

photos to follow
Here is the official word ( I posted on UT earlier)

Attached is an updated York Street construction notice reflecting that Stage 1 work will be focused on the south side of Richmond Street at the York Steet and Richmond Steet intersection, instead of the north side. As communicated in the CLC, Metrolinx alternated the stages of work to better coordinate with the City’s York and Adelaide work zone and schedule.

In addition:
  • One westbound traffic lane will remain open on Richmond Street at the intersection of York Street and Richmond Street.
  • Local traffic will be permitted to make a left-hand turn onto York Street from Richmond Street to access parking and laneways.
  • A paid duty officer will be on-site 24/7 to safely direct traffic.
  • A U-turn along York Street south of Richmond will be allowed through the facilitation of a paid duty officer
1698962316472.png

I thought the “Metrolinx“ part of the work was handed off to TTC to simplify/accelerate completion - am I misremembering? Or TTC said “we‘ll lay the track but you have to handle public engagement”?

Nov 16
A section for York St south of Adelaide St for the northbound track, west of York for eastbound will see the final concrete pour for the new track system for the York/Adelaide intersection on Friday. The area between the new tracks and switch will follow. to allow roads to be partly open once paving is done.

The Northbound track north of Adelaide cannot be pour until TTC crew split it to the existing track. I expect the southbound will be pour at the same time.

Don't see the new southbound track from Queen until January as there is on going work in those 2 blocks. New switches will have to be added to the Queen line to go south and will require a closures to do it.

The roadbed east of York on Adelaide St can be built along with track as far as the driveway to the underground, but the rest from there to to track east of Bay will be in Q1 of 2024 or Q2 depending on the weather.

The lane north of the eastbound track east of Bay is for left turning only with marking for it along cycles path.

Need to take a closer look at the poles to see if TTC need to replace them or a few and expect to see York/Adelaide intersection beef up.

Photos to follow
Couple unedited photos

133A2455.JPG

133A2419.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 16
A section for York St south of Adelaide St fort the northbound track, west of York for eastbound will see the final concrete pour for the new track system for the York/Adelaide intersection on Friday. The area between the new tracks and switch will follow. to allow roads to be partly open once paving is done.

The Northbound track north of Adelaide cannot be pour until TTC crew split it to the existing track. I expect the southbound will be pour at the same time.

Don't see the new southbound track from Queen until January as there is on going work in those 2 blocks. New switches will have to be added to the Queen line to go south and will require a closures to do it.

The roadbed east of York on Adelaide St can be built along with track as far as the driveway to the underground, but the rest from there to to track east of Bay will be in Q1 of 2024 or Q2 depending on the weather.

The lane north of the eastbound track east of Bay is for left turning only with marking for it along cycles path.

Need to take a closer look at the poles to see if TTC need to replace them or a few and expect to see York/Adelaide intersection beef up.

Photos to follow
Couple unedited photos

View attachment 520820
View attachment 520819
The TTC replaced all their poles on Adelaide from Spadina to Church but I assume they will now need more at the (new) special trackwork at both Adelaide/York and Richmond/York.

When the subway was put in, the TTC pulled the streetcar tracks from Yonge and Bloor Sts. Am I right that with the Ontario Line, they won't?

When the subway was put in, the TTC pulled the streetcar tracks from Yonge and Bloor Sts. Am I right that with the Ontario Line, they won't?

I can see them being left in if for no other reason than diversions. After what happened with Adelaide, Victoria and Richmond I can see there being an appetite to keep them in place.

The Ontario Line will only parallel a small portion of the King and Queen routes, in the central sections of the routes. It is not a 1:1 replacement, as the Yonge and Bloor subways were.

The Queen tracks will be rebuilt once the OL is built as the OL only service a few blocks on Queen From University to Sherbourne

When they removed the tracks on Danforth in the 60's, it kill that area and it only starting to return to a level below what existed before the streetcars were removed.

Data has shown than tracks are needed on Yonge again as Line 1 can't handle today ridership nor will it handle it in 20 years as more towers and density is built along it. There will be pockets where density will not happen at all.

1700243131046.png

From the 2024 Annual Service Plan...

Increase overnight streetcar service to mitigate storage constraints

Starting in 2024, there will be the need to temporarily increase overnight streetcar service. As TTC receives the delivery of new streetcars in 2024, there will be temporary overnight storage constraints as the modernization of Russell Carhouse and construction of a new streetcar storage facility at Hillcrest Yard will not be complete. To mitigate these storage constraints, the TTC will take the opportunity to trial increased and expanded overnight service on the streetcar network (Figure 15), including:​
  • increasing frequency of service from every 30 minutes to approximately every 20 minutes on existing overnight streetcar routes – 301 Queen, 304 King, 306 Carlton, and 310 Spadina
  • replacing overnight bus service operating on streetcar routes, such as on St Clair Ave West, on Bathurst St south of Bloor St, and on Kingston Rd from Queen St to Bingham Loop
  • introducing new overnight streetcar service on 505 Dundas, which will improve overnight service coverage on a corridor with multiple night-time activity generators and proximity to places of shift work such as Toronto Western Hospital
Recognizing that there may be community impacts and the need to coordinate with infrastructure renewal and ongoing maintenance, implementation of overnight streetcar service on new parts of the network will be subject to engagement prior to implementation.​

The new vehicles are being produced by Alstom at their Thunder Bay facility. The remaining streetcars will be delivered throughout 2023, 2024 and 2025.
Are there any subtle differences from the original order? I'm just wondering if these will become like the new "Swiss" CLRV cars where it is familiar, but not quite too.

View attachment 520925
From the 2024 Annual Service Plan...

Increase overnight streetcar service to mitigate storage constraints

Starting in 2024, there will be the need to temporarily increase overnight streetcar service. As TTC receives the delivery of new streetcars in 2024, there will be temporary overnight storage constraints as the modernization of Russell Carhouse and construction of a new streetcar storage facility at Hillcrest Yard will not be complete. To mitigate these storage constraints, the TTC will take the opportunity to trial increased and expanded overnight service on the streetcar network (Figure 15), including:​
  • increasing frequency of service from every 30 minutes to approximately every 20 minutes on existing overnight streetcar routes – 301 Queen, 304 King, 306 Carlton, and 310 Spadina
  • replacing overnight bus service operating on streetcar routes, such as on St Clair Ave West, on Bathurst St south of Bloor St, and on Kingston Rd from Queen St to Bingham Loop
  • introducing new overnight streetcar service on 505 Dundas, which will improve overnight service coverage on a corridor with multiple night-time activity generators and proximity to places of shift work such as Toronto Western Hospital
Recognizing that there may be community impacts and the need to coordinate with infrastructure renewal and ongoing maintenance, implementation of overnight streetcar service on new parts of the network will be subject to engagement prior to implementation.​
I never really understood why they would shut down the streetcars and use buses overnight.

Back