News   Jul 17, 2024
 260     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 558     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

Just a thought, but with the Crosstown now under construction, will the future DRL have to be built to Eglinton in order to pay for itself?

In my opinion, that is what any plan for a DRL should do! Perhaps phase 1 to Bloor, Phase 2 to Eglinton. This is exactly what would create a real transit grid in Toronto, marking the future border of the downtown for decades to come.

However - and depending on the routing of any DRL - the King and Queen cars together could form a ridership base that could support a subway today, even without taking population growth into consideration.

Which begs the question, why isn't a DRL the #1 transit priority of even one Councilor, especially of the downtown variety? Why isn't anyone screaming for this to be built right now?

I know, it seems to be all politics. AoD gives some good reasons why everyone wants to avoid it - and there probably would be quite a bit of opposition from those living downtown who wouldn't want to deal with a DRL or the increased densities it would bring. But the suburban councilors should be in there, too. I just don't get it - it HAS to be done for the good of the city!

In my opinion, that is what any plan for a DRL should do! Perhaps phase 1 to Bloor, Phase 2 to Eglinton. This is exactly what would create a real transit grid in Toronto, marking the future border of the downtown for decades to come.

However - and depending on the routing of any DRL - the King and Queen cars together could form a ridership base that could support a subway today, even without taking population growth into consideration.
They better have both phases funded before starting construction on the first phase; or else there could be the possiblity of the line ending at BD for decades.

The eastern side of the DRL north of bloor shouldnt be hard to justify. However the western side with the ARL will probably simply stop at bloor.

They better have both phases funded before starting construction on the first phase; or else there could be the possiblity of the line ending at BD for decades.
Better to have a DRL that goes to BD than no relief line at all.

The eastern side of the DRL north of bloor shouldnt be hard to justify. However the western side with the ARL will probably simply stop at bloor.

Unless the pricing changes on the ARL, the ARL and DRL have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Nobody will pay the huge cost to commute by ARL to downtown.

My stance is: we can't have our cake and eat it too. In other words, with Sheppard as our "priority" a DRL is DOA. Even if Sheppard is privately constructed, any potential gov't transit funding will more than likely be diverted towards an extension.

And at AoD: It's hard to leave RF talk to TO Issues when this thread's only existence is because of him.

Better to have a DRL that goes to BD than no relief line at all.
The case is, is there much for an "eastern DRL" line to divert after the Crosstown is completed? It'd just be another short subway line if it's only built to Danforth. History tells us we shouldn't trust any level of government for their transit funding promises.

I agree! Also once the line is built there will always be pressure to extend it especiialy if it makes sense.
Sad truth is, the governments have failed times to build many of the projects that make sense - and it all comes down to money.

there will be a need to relieve the yonge and eglinton station so moving the DRL up to eglinton will make sense. Its also important to recognize even if it hurts that really this is about freeing up space for the 905ers on the yonge line. As a result the Torontonians will have to go somewhere. If they want 905 votes they will need to satisfy Torontos demands. Either way the DRL needs to get built.

TC + DRL was sanity..

DRL is a bit of a DREAM.... Take a look at where they would have to go under and the infrastructure they would have to move.... Let's not forgot the complete lack of political return of maybe 4 seats it would return?

Short of shipping in immigrant labour, it's a bit of a pipe dream...

I would love to have a DRL... just pointing out the obvious

My stance is: we can't have our cake and eat it too. In other words, with Sheppard as our "priority" a DRL is DOA. Even if Sheppard is privately constructed, any potential gov't transit funding will more than likely be diverted towards an extension.

Now take the same sentence and reword it around then suddenly a DRL is quite possible...

Even if DRL is privately constructed, any potential gov't transit funding will more than likely be diverted towards a Sheppard extension.

And yeah...while no private investor would be interested in Sheppard, I can see a huge lineup of investors for a DRL, especially if it includes clauses that eliminate the King & Queen Car and replace it with buses. The DRL would actually be a subway that could be built on private dollars with little or no public funding...its ridership numbers today itself are already profitable...

Now take the same sentence and reword it around then suddenly a DRL is quite possible...

Even if DRL is privately constructed, any potential gov't transit funding will more than likely be diverted towards a Sheppard extension.

And yeah...while no private investor would be interested in Sheppard, I can see a huge lineup of investors for a DRL, especially if it includes clauses that eliminate the King & Queen Car and replace it with buses. The DRL would actually be a subway that could be built on private dollars with little or no public funding...its ridership numbers today itself are already profitable...

Ill never understand why the government would like to give away potential gold mines.. Please take the 407 from us private sector. Oh you want our monopolized LCBO? sure take that too! Hydro? No problem. And DRL that makes sense. The government should be making this without the private sector. Even if it took an olympics to build it would still make more sense then a P3 which historically never works.

No one's saying it'll be cheap or easy, but if they don't build it at some point over the next two or three decades we'll reach crisis point with capacity on Yonge. Nothing motivates a government to find capital dollars like news stories of commuters falling off platforms due to over-crowding.

agreed, again I think the previous administrations perspective was lets do everything we can to try to get every ounce out of the yonge line... Order new trains that will carry 10% extra people. When we do everything in our power to reduce congestion and we cant then we will be able to go to the province for a DRL.

Back