News   May 13, 2024
 770     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 752     0 

TTC: Redesigning TTC Signage

the TTC should show the actual route number or numbers that the station serves, at the platform level. In the above case, they would show an exit to the 26 Bus on the signs. Just the numbers, in sequence if needed. Once they enter a corridor, they don't need to show all the numbers.

At the Finch station, they would have an Exit 36 39 42 53 60 97 125 199 Buses sign. They may or may not need to show the Blue Night buses, 308 309 320.
Surely that would be very confusing.

I don't see any need for this, unless different routes were in different directions. I can't think of too many examples, other than the east vs west streetcars at some downtown stops, and the 172 signage at King station.

Even the new Pioneer Village station, which will have 2 bus terminals, at different ends of the station, the signage can simply say TTC buses in one direction, and York/Viva/Brampton buses in the other direction.

I really wish they'd split the YUS into two lines (just on the map) for simplification purposes... 1 - Yonge, 2 - Western Line or North-Western Line (nod to The Tube's Northern Line). I can't comprehend why they didn't change the name of the west portion of YUS once it veered off Spadina and went up the Allen Expressway for 4 stops. This latest "Spadina" extension makes "Yonge-University-Spadina" line even more inaccurate. The amount of distance covered after Spadina is very significant and should be included in the official name, or they should shorten it to something that covers the WHOLE line, no matter how broad.

View attachment 22818
View attachment 22819

Even if they choose to keep it as one line and calling it Yonge/University/West End would be better than it stands now.

K and Everyone: This is the first time I have noticed this - numbering the Subway routes with the matching TTC map color coding...

I like this idea - using NYCT's ball-sign face type for their former IRT routes - these routes are numbered in terms of importance to the
TTC as of the current day and with the orange and gray colors for #5 and #6 kept in reserve for future Subway routes...

I would like to see this option provided that the numbers and colors are used along with the route names - and not to replace them...

These TTC Subway route names are well-established and re-naming these after their designated color - like Chicago's CTA has done -
would not the way to go here in my opinion - or to just go with only the proposed numerals standing on their own...

Example: I would not want to see "#1 Line" or "Yellow Line" instead of what this map shows...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
With my work placement at CUTA, the prof organizing the course asked if the TTC uses their resources to see what other systems do for best practice, as sharing best practices is one of the things CUTA does. I asked my supervisor there about this, using the fact that there is virtually no mention of Google Maps integration on the site, and she said the TTC has an old school 'do it their way' mentality. This is probably help explains why the TTC seems to screw up the simplest things, including their graphic design.

With my work placement at CUTA, the prof organizing the course asked if the TTC uses their resources to see what other systems do for best practice, as sharing best practices is one of the things CUTA does. I asked my supervisor there about this, using the fact that there is virtually no mention of Google Maps integration on the site, and she said the TTC has an old school 'do it their way' mentality. This is probably help explains why the TTC seems to screw up the simplest things, including their graphic design.

Yes the TTC loves reinventing the wheel. Another example of where the TTC does something quite useful and then hides it is that there is no link to the great NextBus site from the TTC front page or Schedules pages. There is a )rather hidden) page on NextBus "(Our partner") http://www.ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/Connect_With_The_TTC_And_Stay_Informed/index.jsp but why on earth Nextbus is not linked to from lots of places is puzzling!

Our new signs are here

I spotted the first of our new signs installed at B-Y Station this morning. I'd say that about the third of them have been installed. Brad Ross says installation should be done by monday.

I was surprised to see how excited passengers were about the signage. Of particular interest was the new system maps. A few passengers were crowding around them and taking photos. Overall I'd say that people are quite happy with the changes.

I apologies for the poor quality of these photos. I wasn't expecting the new signs to be installed so soon, so I didn't bring my camera. I'll try to get better shots this evening. These photos cover about a third of the station. I've never realized how many signs we have in stations :p

fWITMIt.jpg

wRZ6WP4.jpg

6md9Wmk.jpg
]
GhjqJN8.jpg

lB0lDTy.jpg

Lp6nU01.jpg

yBZhs8q.jpg

Zm9qVqJ.jpg

4ZabZ4J.jpg

de5iWZl.jpg

S4FXZ1N.jpg

qqDf0WV.jpg

wg1NMeq.jpg

yjYHbcQ.jpg

On another note, I wonder if the LRT lines will get subway-style numbers continuing after line 3 (purple). This issue goes to the root of operations: will our LRT lines be real rapid transit, or merely more efficient streetcars?

Back