News   May 28, 2024
 457     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 405     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 727     1 

TTC: Redesigning TTC Signage

I remember That I got on the subway once and some guy started to peel off a sticker off of the door window, and I started wondering to myself if I should say something to him for it, thinking he was vandalizing TTC property. I then read what the sticker said, and it was some form of ad, hidden to appear to a passerby (I.E. TTC employees looking for vandalism) as some form of official notice. I thought it was rather clever, too bad this random guy saw it and took it off.

I really wish they'd split the YUS into two lines (just on the map) for simplification purposes... 1 - Yonge, 2 - Western Line or North-Western Line (nod to The Tube's Northern Line). I can't comprehend why they didn't change the name of the west portion of YUS once it veered off Spadina and went up the Allen Expressway for 4 stops. This latest "Spadina" extension makes "Yonge-University-Spadina" line even more inaccurate. The amount of distance covered after Spadina is very significant and should be included in the official name, or they should shorten it to something that covers the WHOLE line, no matter how broad.

20131023-Map-Subway.jpg

20131023-ttc-lines.jpg

Even if they choose to keep it as one line and calling it Yonge/University/West End would be better than it stands now.

Attachments

• 20131023-Map-Subway.jpg
    20131023-Map-Subway.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,185
  • 20131023-ttc-lines.jpg
    20131023-ttc-lines.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:
I really wish they'd split the YUS into two lines (just on the map) for simplification purposes... 1 - Yonge, 2 - Western Line or North-Western Line (nod to The Tube's Northern Line). I can't comprehend why they didn't change the name of the west portion of YUS once it veered off Spadina and went up the Allen Expressway for 4 stops. This latest "Spadina" extension makes "Yonge-University-Spadina" line even more inaccurate. The amount of distance covered after Spadina is very significant and should be included in the official name, or they should shorten it to something that covers the WHOLE line, no matter how broad.

View attachment 22818
View attachment 22819

Even if they choose to keep it as one line and calling it Yonge/University/West End would be better than it stands now.
Just don't call the western part of the yellow line the Vaughan line. Sure it goes to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, but it does not run under Vaughan Road (though the subway does run a few hundred metres from Vaughan Road).

Allen Rd used to be the Spadina Expressway, which is why the line is called "Spadina". Personally, I'd be in favour of renaming the YUS to "Yonge-University line", especially since the subway will now go to York University.

Allen Rd used to be the Spadina Expressway, which is why the line is called "Spadina". Personally, I'd be in favour of renaming the YUS to "Yonge-University line", especially since the subway will now go to York University.

How about using the areas the line serves? North York (Richmond Hill) - Downtown - Vaughan Line.

At some point Toronto will have to diverge from naming its subway lines based on corresponding roadway allignments - they won't all follow roadways, as the western leg of the YUS (and its extension to Vaughan) is an example.

At some point Toronto will have to diverge from naming its subway lines based on corresponding roadway allignments - they won't all follow roadways, as the western leg of the YUS (and its extension to Vaughan) is an example.

Then lets call it the Spaghetti line since the subway is going all over the place.

I've seen some really shitty signs at the TTC, but this recently installed sign at Spadina takes the cake:

cUUlR6m.jpg

There's so much wrong with this.

1. Why does this say "Bloor-Danforth Line Streetcars"? Since when was the Bloor Danforth a streetcar line?
2. These stairs also lead to the 1 YUS subway. Why is there no mention of this? That is a huge omission.
3. "Note: Sunday 5:00 AM to 9:00 AM... When Subway is closed, please pay fare on the streetcar". There is so much wrong with this statement. Am I supposed to pay fare on Streetcar whenever the subway is closed or just at indicated times? Or is it both? Does this mean the Subway shuts down from 5:00 AM to 9:00 AM on Sunday? (Hint: it doesn't). And I'm assuming the Bloor-Danforth will be operating at this time since the sign does say that it's a Streetcar line.

Furthermore the placement of this sign is all wrong. It is in the fare paid zone, above the stairs leading to the 510 Spadina, 2 BD and 1 YUS. It would make more sense to have the message about fare payment just outside of the fare paid zone (near collector booth) so people know where to put their money upon entering the station. It also makes sense to have this message not he streetcar platform as an additional reminder.

While on TTC signage .... The TTC seems incapable of thinking decisions through, an example being the recent decision to temporarily (they say) splitting the 72 bus route and creating a 172A to cover the western part (Commissioners to King/St Andrew) of the old route that used to be the 72A. By creating a "new" route (172A) rather than leaving the number the same and saying that the 72A branch would follow a different route for a few months they needed to make new signage at King and St Andrew stations (predictably this took weeks and several reminders), change the stop signs on the street that had just had "72" added to them to read "172" (this also took several weeks) and adjust the NextBus display on King Street at King Station to inform customers about the 172. (As of a few days ago this has still not happened.) They also sent someone out to put up 172A timetables at several stops but forgot to explain to them that this bus REPLACED the 72. Until I (and others) brought this to their attention several stops had both timetables - a 172A one that was, possibly, accurate and a 72A one that was totally misleading!

While on TTC signage .... The TTC seems incapable of thinking decisions through, an example being the recent decision to temporarily (they say) splitting the 72 bus route and creating a 172A to cover the western part (Commissioners to King/St Andrew) of the old route that used to be the 72A. By creating a "new" route (172A) rather than leaving the number the same and saying that the 72A branch would follow a different route for a few months they needed to make new signage at King and St Andrew stations (predictably this took weeks and several reminders), change the stop signs on the street that had just had "72" added to them to read "172" (this also took several weeks) and adjust the NextBus display on King Street at King Station to inform customers about the 172. (As of a few days ago this has still not happened.) They also sent someone out to put up 172A timetables at several stops but forgot to explain to them that this bus REPLACED the 72. Until I (and others) brought this to their attention several stops had both timetables - a 172A one that was, possibly, accurate and a 72A one that was totally misleading!
The Transit Now Toronto smartphone app recognizes the 172 Cherry St. route.

I don't understand how smartphone apps get updated faster than the TTC change their signs?

Last edited:
The Transit Now Toronto smartphone app recognizes the 172 Cherry St. route.

I don;'t understand how smartphone apps get updated faster than the TTC change their signs?
It's on NextBus too but NOT on the public display outside King Station (unless they fixed it in last few days). (Apps can be changed remotely, physical signs need someone to make the sign, go to where it is to be erected and then put it up. That's why I wondeedr why they changed the route number and made all this necessary!)

I've seen some really shitty signs at the TTC, but this recently installed sign at Spadina takes the cake:

cUUlR6m.jpg

There's so much wrong with this.

1. Why does this say "Bloor-Danforth Line Streetcars"? Since when was the Bloor Danforth a streetcar line?
2. These stairs also lead to the 1 YUS subway. Why is there no mention of this? That is a huge omission.
3. "Note: Sunday 5:00 AM to 9:00 AM... When Subway is closed, please pay fare on the streetcar". There is so much wrong with this statement. Am I supposed to pay fare on Streetcar whenever the subway is closed or just at indicated times? Or is it both? Does this mean the Subway shuts down from 5:00 AM to 9:00 AM on Sunday? (Hint: it doesn't). And I'm assuming the Bloor-Danforth will be operating at this time since the sign does say that it's a Streetcar line.

Furthermore the placement of this sign is all wrong. It is in the fare paid zone, above the stairs leading to the 510 Spadina, 2 BD and 1 YUS. It would make more sense to have the message about fare payment just outside of the fare paid zone (near collector booth) so people know where to put their money upon entering the station. It also makes sense to have this message not he streetcar platform as an additional reminder.

I thought they're putting a new signage standard in too... so why not wait..? This is pretty atrocious. I hope they'll do better with the new standards.

Instead of the generic BUS EXIT signs on the platform level,

StGeorgeAfter.jpg

the TTC should show the actual route number or numbers that the station serves, at the platform level. In the above case, they would show an exit to the 26 Bus on the signs. Just the numbers, in sequence if needed. Once they enter a corridor, they don't need to show all the numbers.

At the Finch station, they would have an Exit 36 39 42 53 60 97 125 199 Buses sign. They may or may not need to show the Blue Night buses, 308 309 320.

Back