News   Jun 07, 2024
 652     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 1.6K     2 

TTC: Redesigning TTC Signage

Had a go at making some external signage to fit the new style:

Looks Good. Imagine if Transit City went ahead - what would Kennedy look like. There would be 4 lines there; B-D subway, Eglinton LRT, Scarborough Malvern LRT, and SRT. None of them would have been connected, so it would show 4 lines. 4 colour bars would not fit on your signs.

Speaking of signage. The numerals used for the countdown on the screens in the lower right of screens on the subway platforms. What font is that?

3728121555_64289e98a8_o.jpg

I don't think so ... not entirely sure.

This 5 below looks less like Verdana:

Transit%2003.jpg

slightly off topic but anyone notice that often those screens show "D" - delayed, when trains are running normally? Specifically at Eglinton station it always shows the trains are delayed. If for whatever reason the system can't track the next train, it should display "n/a"

If you can get a close up and clear image of the countdown, you can run it through this site and they may be able to tell you what font it is. I've done it a few times and it works great.
There is one problem with that website: it does not recognize the Toronto Subway font. I tested it with an image of Dundas West station taken from Wikipedia.

There is one problem with that website: it does not recognize the Toronto Subway font. I tested it with an image of Dundas West station taken from Wikipedia.

It doesn't recognize it because it's a unique font, not created or sold by the usual type companies.

Last edited:
FYI - Vancouver Evergreen Line info has TransLink's TransLink's Wayfinding Standards Manual for reference - starting at page 84 of this document:

Posted by nname at SSP - the redacted copy of the procurement contract has been released.

Those of you interested in wayfinding will find Appendix H to be interesting - it is one of the only schedules not redacted and includes TransLink's Wayfinding Standards Manual.

http://www.partnershipsbc.ca/files-4/project-elrt-schedules/Schedule-4_Appendix-H.pdf

Last edited:
I wonder if the subway announcements will say "Change here for Line 1" instead.

I wouldn't count on it as the current announcements don't mention names of lines you can change to (although, that would be nice). If that does happen, I hope they call it the 1 train, 2 train like in NYC

Back