News   Jul 16, 2024
 332     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 622     2 

TTC: Redesigning TTC Signage

All stations should be shown, always. Stops, on the other hand...

Why not? Does the train not stop at both stations and stops? As long as the spacing of stops on FWLRT and SELRT is similar to that of the ECLRT, I see no reason for them not to be.

I for one would be pretty annoyed if I got lost because someone at the TTC decided that a stop wasn't worthy of recognition on the map.

The scale isn't that ridiculous. On the Danforth the stop spacing is about 500-600m, on Yonge and University south of Bloor even closer together and there is no distinctive label (warning: stops may be closer than they appear). What benefit is the distinctiveness? I need to go to Eglinton and Warden and I see a thick filled line and a thick unfilled line. My trip will be different how? The lines change and might convince people they need to transfer or something but they don't... it is one route on the same equipment.

Well if your the kind of guy to whip out a stopwatch and freak out over 120 seconds....

Thankfully most of us aren't like that :rolleyes:

Why not? Does the train not stop at both stations and stops? As long as the spacing of stops on FWLRT and SELRT is similar to that of the ECLRT, I see no reason for them not to be.

I for one would be pretty annoyed if I got lost because someone at the TTC decided that a stop wasn't worthy of recognition on the map.

I think the way Boston does it for the Green Line is perfect. Stations and major stops are labelled, but minor stops have just a dot there to let you know that there is a stop there. If you want that much detail, look at a route-specific map.

I think the way Boston does it for the Green Line is perfect. Stations and major stops are labelled, but minor stops have just a dot there to let you know that there is a stop there. If you want that much detail, look at a route-specific map.

Boston's system map (Green Line would be similar to the Eglinton, without branches):
subway-spider.jpg

Boston's Green Line interactive map see this link:

Boston's above ground green line has many stops less then 400m apart and is similar to Spadina or St.Clair streetcars. They don't even bother to put in a shelter on many of the green line streetcar stops. The TTC isn't proposing to give St.Clair and Spadina a line number. On Eglinton only the distance between Lebovic and Warden is shorter than 400m.

If you click one of the stations displayed on the Boston Green Line interactive map at this link, each station shows a local area map. Something the Toronto's TTC station description does not show. They should include local area maps for each station.

I think that is ridiculous - numbers or letters. What, we are in grade one. You want to know when you get to a station or come off where you are - Yonge, Bloor, Danforth. Spadina is a lost cause because it does not run along any major street
I think you inadvertently just explained why a numbering system is needed. Increasingly, the names don't reflect where you actually are.

The reason why the Yonge-University-Spadina Line is called that is because it is acually three different lines with three separate histories, but served by a single route. (The Bloor-Danforth is pretty much one line, though.)

New York and Chicago are quite similar in this way. The A Train follows the IND Eighth Avenue Line, the IND Fulton Street Line and the IND Rockaway Line. The CTA Red Line has three separate lines - North Side Main Line, State Street Subway and Dan Ryan Line, all built in different eras.

I generally support the more prominent use of numbers.

Back