News   Jul 12, 2024
 216     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.3K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 900     6 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Not just for the Yonge side. Yonge Line is just kind of the colloquial term for the entire Yonge-University-Spadina line, because its full name is just a mouthful. The same happened with Line 3 which at this point is probably better known as the "RT" or "SRT". I expect the same to be true for the "The Crosstown" eventually. Although in my experience while the YUS is simply truncated down to just the "Yonge Line" the Bloor-Danforth seems to keep its entire name. Guess it just rolls off the tongue better.

I call the University side the University line as well. They dropped the "Spadina" part of the name in 2015.

The plan is not valid.

No change to the alignment of any tracks is contemplated.

But the diagram accurately reflects the current alignment.

The new proposal will add a dedicated eastbound platform on the lower level (line 2) and new connections to said platform through an enlarged mezzanine. (more than double the current size.

With that change, the existing line 2 platform layout won't be useful, and the stair/escalator connections can be expanded to the south, adding about 50% more throughput.

I haven't seen the latest iterations, but I believe 3 additional elevators were being contemplated, 2 to the new platform, and 1 more to the existing line 2 platform.

The focus here is:

1) Divert what you can to the DRL

2) Expand throughput between the 2 lines, and creating more 'storage' for passengers to safely manage delays.

3) Through put of trains, other than by way of reduced dwell time, which they hope to achieve mainly by spreading load more evenly along platforms..............would be addressed by ATC, and PED.

4) On-train capacity also grows by shifting the fleet to new platform-length trains.
It seems odd that 20 years ago the priority to solve the Y-B problem was to increase the frequency of the Yonge Line, and make the Yonge Line platforms safer - with some improvements to passenger flow.
Now the solution seems to be to improve the frequency of the Bloor Line, and make the Bloor Line platforms safer - with improvements to passenger flow.

My guess is that this project will incur a huge cost with minimal benefit.
The station is a bit farther south than I imagined.
I don't know if this plan is still valid. My first thought is that the South Bound track should move to Yonge, instead of the North Bound track going to Park Road - its less of a deviation.
The new station would be 1 track and 2 platform for all door boarding. The existing Yonge would have 1 track filled in with platform - to also become 2 platform 1 track.
I expect to rejoin the Yonge line at Aylmer - but I didn't check if radii would work.
View attachment 171532
I see this Yonge alignment was considered.
https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/exhibit443c.jpg

What do you mean by this? I thought the Line 2 level was directly under the Line 1 level, so there is no middle mezzanine level

Line 1 is the mezzanine level for purposes of this discussion; the highest level being entrances/exits to HBC and 33 Bloor East.

So basically doing the same thing as they did for the second Union Station platform, new wall with widened stairs. Any chance there'd be more space to wait along the platform, such as being able to have two people standing facing back to front and someone else still being able to walk along the platform without stepping on yellow line? Moving and widening stairs instead of only widening.

Yes, very similar to Union.

I have yet to see the detailed design, but my impression of what was under discussion internally is that yes they were looking a slight shift in the stairs/escalators, as well as opening them up (glass railings) to both improve waiting space next to the track as well as improve sightlines and air circulation.

External cameras on TTC surface vehicles
Effective January 28, 2019

From link.

External-facing cameras on TTC vehicles (bus, streetcar and Wheel-Trans) will be activated as of January 28, 2019. These cameras help the TTC:
  • investigate incidents involving our vehicles
  • support the investigation of customer complaints and claims
  • enhance public and customer safety
Toronto is one of the last municipalities in Ontario to implement forward-facing and external cameras on surface vehicles, and this has been a long-standing gap in our incident investigations model.

The Ontario Information and Privacy Commissioner requested that the TTC remain transparent with customers as well as the public when implementing external cameras on surface vehicles. The TTC conducted a public consultation meeting on October 9, 2018, as well as an online survey for several weeks after, which closed on October 24, 2018. The purpose of this public consultation was to increase public awareness on the topic, and to receive feedback, comments and concerns prior to implementation.

Data use and management

All download and copy requests for TTC CCTV will be managed and prepared by the Video Services Unit.

External cameras will be primarily used to capture vehicle-pedestrian, and vehicle-vehicle incidents. Regarding Toronto Police Services (TPS) access to video footage:
  • Using our current processes, the TTC will release video to law enforcement agencies for any incident that is directly related to the TTC. The criminal act itself must be related to the TTC.
  • For law enforcement video requests that are not directly related to the TTC, upon notification the TTC will secure the video. However, this same video will not be released to the requesting law enforcement agency until a production order is obtained and provided to the TTC.
  • In exigent circumstances, to prevent imminent bodily harm or death to any person, the TTC may release video to law enforcement agencies without a production order (e.g. immediate homicide investigations, acts of terrorism, child abductions).
All individuals under MFIPPA have rights to access to their video footage. Individuals who are recorded may request any video footage of themselves through a Freedom of Information (FOI) procedure. It should be noted however that requesting individuals would be required to pay a redaction fee, and all images/identifiers of other private persons (not including TTC employees and emergency responders) would be redacted in the footage before the copy is granted.

The data will be retained for a period of 72 hours on buses and streetcars, and a period of 7 days on most Wheel-Trans vehicles. The video footage on the vehicles that is not downloaded will be overwritten on a rolling basis (similar to internal camera footage on vehicles).

Public notices

Decals will be posted on the vehicles to notify the public that the vehicle exteriors are actively recording. The TTC will also notify the public about the camera activation through their website, social media and print ads.

Camera locations and angles

camsBus.jpg

Proposed external camera locations on TTC bus.

StreetCarCameras_v4.jpg

Existing external camera location on low-floor streetcar. Proposed locations for additional cameras are yet to be determined.

CamsWheelTrans.jpg

Proposed external camera locations on Wheel-Trans vehicle.

My guess is that this project will incur a huge cost with minimal benefit.
Absolutely agreed. However, my stance is contingent that many 'improvements' for the existing subway is like throwing good money after spent money. Leave the present subway as is *in general* (elevators et al are obvious unavoidable needs and improvements) and use any available funds for massive reworks of the likes of B/Y for building infrastructure to *circumvent* the now saturated subways.

It's like trying to add a third set of seats to a sedan...

Absolutely agreed. However, my stance is contingent that many 'improvements' for the existing subway is like throwing good money after spent money. Leave the present subway as is *in general* (elevators et al are obvious unavoidable needs and improvements) and use any available funds for massive reworks of the likes of B/Y for building infrastructure to *circumvent* the now saturated subways.

It's like trying to add a third set of seats to a sedan...
Eglinton-SRT Crosstown connecting to a DRL at Science Center would be 1 example - get people completely away from Y-B.
Crosstown_system-map1v2_web-crop.jpg

My idea of a completely separate line from STC to Downtown is another.

Diagonal.jpg

Instead, the transfer LRT and the B-D plan both force all the transfers to be at Y-B - unless they are going to City Hall in which case they might transfer to the DRL.

^ Bloor-Yonge Station has been revisited a number of times. Googling to get detail of that was frustrating. I might not being using the right tag words...

Munro looked at this in 2007 (deja vu?) and these were the summary paragraphs:
APRIL 10, 2007 BY STEVE
Expanding Bloor-Yonge Station
[...]
As for the Yonge line, the TTC did have a scheme to add a third centre platform, but building it would be extremely complex (again it is inside of existing buildings) and parts of the work would require that the station be closed (yes, closed) for at least half a year. You don’t just shuffle platform space and track around as an overnight job.

Many capacity issues in transportation (and indeed in other systems) can be approached in two ways: either we go into panic mode and desperately try to expand at the perceived site of the problem, of we figure out how to reduce demand at that point by directing traffic elsewhere. As I have written in many other posts, this comes down to improving GO rail service so that the subway isn’t lumbered with all of the long-haul trips and adding capacity into the core to divert traffic off of the Yonge line itself.
https://stevemunro.ca/2007/04/10/expanding-bloor-yonge-station/

Hallelujah! It still pertains today..in fact more so than ever. Put the budget into the Relief Line, and leave 'well enough alone' with the present subway. The last thing the subway and presently overwrought riders need is more interruptions for months going on years on end only to patch a leak in the plumbing that will pop out at some other point once fixed.

Eglinton-SRT Crosstown connecting to a DRL at Science Center would be 1 example - get people completely away from Y-B.
Crosstown_system-map1v2_web-crop.jpg

My idea of a completely separate line from STC to Downtown is another.

View attachment 171721

Instead, the transfer LRT and the B-D plan both force all the transfers to be at Y-B - unless they are going to City Hall in which case they might transfer to the DRL.
You seem to love your Long Branch - Downtown - SRT - UTSC Line. It's not the best idea, but definitely not the worst. Maybe make another version that is colour accurate though.

From link.

Junction Area Study

The TTC invites you to a public open house to learn more about the Junction Area Bus Study.​
We are proposing changes to the bus network in The Junction to improve customer travel time by removing gaps in service. TTC staff will be on hand to answer any questions.​
Event Details
Venue: Swansea Town Hall, Rousseau Room​
Address: 95 Lavinia Avenue​
Date: Monday, January 28, 2019​
Time: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.​
Venue: David Appleton Community Recreation, Multipurpose Room​
Address: 33 Pritchard Avenue​
Date: Wednesday, February 6, 2019​

See also this link.

201901_junction-maps.jpg

^ Bloor-Yonge Station has been revisited a number of times. Googling to get detail of that was frustrating. I might not being using the right tag words...

Munro looked at this in 2007 (deja vu?) and these were the summary paragraphs:

https://stevemunro.ca/2007/04/10/expanding-bloor-yonge-station/

Hallelujah! It still pertains today..in fact more so than ever. Put the budget into the Relief Line, and leave 'well enough alone' with the present subway. The last thing the subway and presently overwrought riders need is more interruptions for months going on years on end only to patch a leak in the plumbing that will pop out at some other point once fixed.

Current studies indicate the RL and B-Y station expansion are both required to meet demand by 2031.

There is enormous latent demand that will consume any freed up space.

The station is actually dangerous right now in the event of an emergency.

To be clear, the RL is a must, and investment in the interchange is not a substitute, alternative, or excuse for delay in any way, shape or form.

Notwithstanding that, the station requires expansion.

Current studies indicate the RL and B-Y station expansion are both required to meet demand by 2031.

There is enormous latent demand that will consume any freed up space.

The station is actually dangerous right now in the event of an emergency.

To be clear, the RL is a must, and investment in the interchange is not a substitute, alternative, or excuse for delay in any way, shape or form.

Notwithstanding that, the station requires expansion.

Oh yeah. Whenever there has been some kind of emergency in the last few years at that station, there has been all kind off issues...

Wow,
From link.

Junction Area Study

The TTC invites you to a public open house to learn more about the Junction Area Bus Study.​
We are proposing changes to the bus network in The Junction to improve customer travel time by removing gaps in service. TTC staff will be on hand to answer any questions.​
Event Details
Venue: Swansea Town Hall, Rousseau Room​
Address: 95 Lavinia Avenue​
Date: Monday, January 28, 2019​
Venue: David Appleton Community Recreation, Multipurpose Room​
Address: 33 Pritchard Avenue​
Date: Wednesday, February 6, 2019​

See also this link.

201901_junction-maps.jpg

Wow, how many decades has it taken the TTC to figure out that looping the 40 at Runnymede for no reason never made any sense?

Wow,

Wow, how many decades has it taken the TTC to figure out that looping the 40 at Runnymede for no reason never made any sense?

Interestingly, the 40 is one of only three former trolley bus routes that weren't changed significantly since the wires came down (routes 6, 47, 61, 63/63F, 74/103 were extended and/or merged with other routes, while routes 4, 40, 89 remain as is, despite the 4 Annette being renamed 26 Dupont). It really should have been reviewed in the mid 1990s after the route was dieselized.

I generally like the changes, though the 189's routing is a bit weird. I guess there's not enough room at the Keele Station loop.

Back