News   Jul 12, 2024
 117     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 429     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.4K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

A bit off-topic ( please don't say this is a sighting, because it doesn't really fall into said category), but the ALRV fleet has been out outside of rush hour in the last few days, with 4230 and 4249 on Friday, and 4204 today. Maybe rush-hour trippers now extend to weekday middays and weekends, too? I guess TTC still wants to use the ALRVs alot, if this is any indication.

And the T1s will have their existence extended so the newest trains won’t be replacing any trains they’ll just be providing increased service.

All the new trains will probably go to Line 1 and the DRL and Line 2 will probably get a few TR handmedowns.

But, don't forget that if the TTC doesn't invest in this second platform, then Bloor-Yonge will be packed so terribly
It was a rhetorical question. Of course I think it’s necessary and worth the cost, just that I would have wanted more improvements.

Last edited:
I was looking for some type of drawings showing the constraints around Y-B, but couldn't find anything.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6706415,-79.3863819,272m/data=!3m1!1e3
Are the towers in the way or only the shopping centre portion?
If this property is already 50 years old, then maybe it's not that valuable. A land swap could be considered - give up this property and get something on the DRL. When this was built it was imagined that Downtown would move north from Queen to Bloor, but instead it has moved south - maybe more incentive to abandon this..

There's a diagram here showing the alignment of the station and what's on top.

I'm getting the image off of Transit Toronto, who in turn got off Steve Munro:

bloor-station-park-road-alignment-1988.jpg

The upside of this diagram is facing west.

You can see the Bloor Line (Yonge Stn) cutting under the Hudson's Bay Centre, before wandering under Cumberland Terrace.

There's a diagram here showing the alignment of the station and what's on top.

I'm getting the image off of Transit Toronto, who in turn got off Steve Munro:

bloor-station-park-road-alignment-1988.jpg

The upside of this diagram is facing west.

You can see the Bloor Line (Yonge Stn) cutting under the Hudson's Bay Centre, before wandering under Cumberland Terrace.
The station is a bit farther south than I imagined.
I don't know if this plan is still valid. My first thought is that the South Bound track should move to Yonge, instead of the North Bound track going to Park Road - its less of a deviation.
The new station would be 1 track and 2 platform for all door boarding. The existing Yonge would have 1 track filled in with platform - to also become 2 platform 1 track.
I expect to rejoin the Yonge line at Aylmer - but I didn't check if radii would work.
Y-B.jpg

The station is a bit farther south than I imagined.
I don't know if this plan is still valid. My first thought is that the South Bound track should move to Yonge, instead of the North Bound track going to Park Road - its less of a deviation.
The new station would be 1 track and 2 platform for all door boarding. The existing Yonge would have 1 track filled in with platform - to also become 2 platform 1 track.
I expect to rejoin the Yonge line at Aylmer - but I didn't check if radii would work.
View attachment 171532

The plan is not valid.

No change to the alignment of any tracks is contemplated.

But the diagram accurately reflects the current alignment.

The new proposal will add a dedicated eastbound platform on the lower level (line 2) and new connections to said platform through an enlarged mezzanine. (more than double the current size.

With that change, the existing line 2 platform layout won't be useful, and the stair/escalator connections can be expanded to the south, adding about 50% more throughput.

I haven't seen the latest iterations, but I believe 3 additional elevators were being contemplated, 2 to the new platform, and 1 more to the existing line 2 platform.

The focus here is:

1) Divert what you can to the DRL

2) Expand throughput between the 2 lines, and creating more 'storage' for passengers to safely manage delays.

3) Through put of trains, other than by way of reduced dwell time, which they hope to achieve mainly by spreading load more evenly along platforms..............would be addressed by ATC, and PED.

4) On-train capacity also grows by shifting the fleet to new platform-length trains.

The new proposal will add a dedicated eastbound platform on the lower level (line 2) and new connections to said platform through an enlarged mezzanine.
What do you mean by this? I thought the Line 2 level was directly under the Line 1 level, so there is no middle mezzanine level to accommodate crossing a traffic for transfers. I see it more as widening the Line 1 platform level in the south area of the existing transfer points and adding new stairs, escalators, and elevators going to the new eastbound platform directly underneath. This still doesn't solve the issue of having to walk along the platform(s) on the Line 2 level to use a specific set of escalators to the correct Line 1 platform.

With that change, the existing line 2 platform layout won't be useful, and the stair/escalator connections can be expanded to the south, adding about 50% more throughput.
So basically doing the same thing as they did for the second Union Station platform, new wall with widened stairs. Any chance there'd be more space to wait along the platform, such as being able to have two people standing facing back to front and someone else still being able to walk along the platform without stepping on yellow line? Moving and widening stairs instead of only widening.

I think this project should get a dedicated thread if more details on it get released or is worked on actively, but not needed right now yet.

Last edited:
What do you mean by this? I thought the Line 2 level was directly under the Line 1 level, so there is no middle mezzanine level to accommodate crossing a traffic for transfers..
Is this true**?
The Yonge Line* is below the B-D* line in the elevation, but if I look at the plan, I would read that to say that the B-D is under the Yonge line.

* - I prefer Yonge Line or Yellow Line, or "Y" Line. The other 1 would be the Bloor Line or Green Line or "B" Line.
The numbering of lines is so counter intuitive.
** - I think it's true.

PS.

After looking at the Steve Munro site, I realize that this section is taken for the new North Bound tracks, which were planned to go under the B-D.
The section is not given for the South Bound tracks, which are the existing tracks and go above the B-D.

Last edited:
Is this true**?
The Yonge Line* is below the B-D* line in the elevation, but if I look at the plan, I would read that to say that the B-D is under the Yonge line.

* - I prefer Yonge Line or Yellow Line, or "Y" Line. The other 1 would be the Bloor Line or Green Line or "B" Line.
The numbering of lines is so counter intuitive.
** - I think it's true.

PS.

After looking at the Steve Munro site, I realize that this section is taken for the new North Bound tracks, which were planned to go under the B-D.
The section is not given for the South Bound tracks, which are the existing tracks and go above the B-D.
This reply is just a convoluted mess.

Yea, everyone in Toronto and maybe even GTA too calls the Yonge side of Line 1 the "Yonge Line".
Not just for the Yonge side. Yonge Line is just kind of the colloquial term for the entire Yonge-University-Spadina line, because its full name is just a mouthful. The same happened with Line 3 which at this point is probably better known as the "RT" or "SRT". I expect the same to be true for the "The Crosstown" eventually. Although in my experience while the YUS is simply truncated down to just the "Yonge Line" the Bloor-Danforth seems to keep its entire name. Guess it just rolls off the tongue better.

Back