News   Jul 12, 2024
 826     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 747     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 317     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Being a tourist that's an urbanist is a bit disingenuous.

I'm from the GTA, currently working in London, but commuting from one of the London home countries (the commuter belt outside London). I can't use an Oyster card because my home station is outside Zone 6, so I use a scannable paper ticket that doubles as a London zone 1-6 pass. Said paper ticket is used everywhere in the UK, on trains, in fare gates, etc.
Your scenario is more like if Go transit didn't have Presto or any of the other transit agencies in the GTA.

With the exception of Gatwick of course which is in Crawley.
Gatwick Airport is, as you say, in Crawley which is in West Sussex and, as @JasonParis said this is in the "Home Counties" and thus outside the Greater London Authority's area (and thus not served by Transport for London who operate the Oyster card system) The GLA covers the counties of Greater London and the City of London.

With the exception of Gatwick of course which is in Crawley.
There's a few stations outside of Greater London (fare zones 7 to 9 + some other stations too) that do accept Oyster - just not all of them.

Certainly, all the Tube and Overground stations outside Greater London take Oyster. I assume the TFL Rail stations in Essex take it as well, though I've not used it. There's a few other ones that do too in other countries/districts as well.

Last edited:
Gatwick Airport is, as you say, in Crawley which is in West Sussex and, as @JasonParis said this is in the "Home Counties" and thus outside the Greater London Authority's area (and thus not served by Transport for London who operate the Oyster card system) The GLA covers the counties of Greater London and the City of London.

I've used Oyster to go from London Victoria to LGW. There are fare gates when you board Gatwick Express trains.

Several of the Home Counties are within the TfL zone system. My area has TfL bus coverage for example, just no zone for the train station. Technically, I'm in the M25.

Didn't see the new members of the TTC mentioned anywhere, so here they are:

(Trumpet blare, please!)

Board Members

• Chair – Councillor Jaye Robinson
  • Councillor Brad Bradford
  • Councillor Shelley Carroll
  • Joanne De Laurentiis (Citizen)
  • Alan Heisey, Q.C. (Citizen)
  • Councillor Jim Karygiannis
  • Councillor Jennifer McKelvie
  • Ron Lalonde (Citizen)
  • Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong
(Don't like the selection.)

Didn't see the new members of the TTC mentioned anywhere, so here they are:

(Trumpet blare, please!)

Board Members

• Chair – Councillor Jaye Robinson
  • Councillor Brad Bradford
  • Councillor Shelley Carroll
  • Joanne De Laurentiis (Citizen)
  • Alan Heisey, Q.C. (Citizen)
  • Councillor Jim Karygiannis
  • Councillor Jennifer McKelvie
  • Ron Lalonde (Citizen)
  • Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong
(Don't like the selection.)
Karygiannis and Minnan-Wong.....God please help us.

Do the citizen members of the board hold their positions until 2019?

If so, here are the qualifications to be a citizen member:

Citizen members of the Board shall have directorship and executive-level experience and collectively represent a range of skills, knowledge and experience with one or more large organizations in the following areas:​
  • strategic business management, including transformative change management;
  • financial management, accounting, law, engineering;
  • customer service or marketing management;
  • management or planning with a rail or public transit organization;
  • formulation and/or management of public-private partnerships;
  • capital project/construction management or capital procurement/supply chain management;
  • operations and information technology;
  • labour relations/industrial safety management;
  • professional knowledge and working experience of urban sustainability, intersectionality and inclusive governance; and
  • understanding and/or experience with Toronto Transit Commission operations.
Unless the qualifications change, under Doug Ford's "suggestion", of course.

Back