News   Jul 12, 2024
 857     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 772     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 324     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I am honestly surprised the Sheppard Line has not had their collector booths eliminated. They are lightly used stations as it is and it would make sense to eliminate them first, I would then eliminate the SRT collectors afterwards (with the exception of Scarborough Centre for the time being).

I get that they want to move south down the line in terms of removing the collectors but it makes more sense to eliminate them as I stated above.
Booths are redundant if there are other authorized TTC fare sellers near by. Bayview, Bessarion, and Leslie are dead zone for that, based on what's shown on TTC's website.

Did I miss the timeframe to replace the GTA pass?

I believe they've stated it'll be discontinued, the reasoning given was that Presto makes it easy to pay cross-agency fares, and that more fare integration deals are in the works.

Then only the day pass issue remains - specifically the weekend day pass.

They've stated that the Day Pass won't be available on Presto because the 2-hour transfer is viewed as being sufficient for the majority of cases in which a day pass would have previously been useful.

However, I believe Heather MacMillan Brown has said that they plan to have a day pass available on the Presto Tickets dispensed at vending machines and sold at shoppers. Presumably the timeframe would be identical, or almost identical, to the single-ride tickets, as there wouldn't really be a big systemic difference in the infrastructure required; e.g. have separate options on the touchscreen, and encode the "cards" differently.

I can't think of a way for the weekend day pass to work on Presto tickets, because of the faregates being programmed not to allow repeat taps within 5 minutes. Maybe the machines could just dispense 2 paper tickets on weekends for the price of 1, but that runs the risk of people handing out their second ticket to passers-by. Maybe institute a requirement during fare inspections that both tickets must be presented together? But that doesn't take care of subway ridership, and it might not be possible to clearly communicate that to riders. They'll probably just cut it.

I believe they've stated it'll be discontinued, the reasoning given was that Presto makes it easy to pay cross-agency fares, and that more fare integration deals are in the works.
Discontinued! Hopefully not before whatever replacement fare integration comes.

Note that the current Go Transit/TTC credit only applies to TTC riders that are paying-per-ride. You get no discount at all, if you have a TTC pass on your Prestocard, and transfer to GO Transit.

Going back to the June 2018 TTC report on Presto status - the TTC weekly pass is supposed be transitioned to weekly rate capping in March 2019. Doesn't speak to the GTA pass in particular.

Any other indications? TTC Customer service recently tweeted that "We will still be selling the GTA passes until further notice" and Presto tweeted "we don't have any info regarding the GTA Weekly Pass transitioning to PRESTO".

Sounds like no one really knows - which is a recipe for disaster, leading to TTC somehow eliminating the VIP pass discounts, without having implemented a replacement yet.

In unrelated news, it was recently announced that all of Vancouvers fleet (Skytrain, Bus, Ferries) is getting free Wifi courtesy of Shaw at no cost to TransLink, I’m amazed the TTC hasn’t gotten this done yet given the infrastructure is already in place . . .
BAI did all of the wifi work in the stations for free the TTC paid nothing for it putting it on the subway trains is a whole other project in itself.

Sounds like no one really knows - which is a recipe for disaster, leading to TTC somehow eliminating the VIP pass discounts, without having implemented a replacement yet.

The discount plan pass was transitioned over to presto I'm not really sure what the VIP plan was but they may have decided to discontinue it because of not enough users of it or to make it easier to just have everyone switch to the discount plan instead.

Doesn't speak to the GTA pass in particular.

The GTA weekly pass was paid for partially by all of the transit agencies that accepted it with the TTC covering half and the others picking up the other half, such an arrangement may not be posable with presto.

The discount plan pass was transitioned over to presto I'm not really sure what the VIP plan was but they may have decided to discontinue it because of not enough users of it or to make it easier to just have everyone switch to the discount plan instead.
VIP was the bulk purchasing of Metropasses by employers and other organizations. The MDP/12-month (discount) price is $134 (compared to the $146.25 regular price) - but VIP was cheaper yet at as low as $128.75 a month.

They haven't decided (in so many words) to discontinue it. The last report in June said they were still looking at options. And customer service even today says they are still looking into options. A complete systemic failure on the decision-making front!

The GTA weekly pass was paid for partially by all of the transit agencies that accepted it with the TTC covering half and the others picking up the other half, such an arrangement may not be posable with presto.
However, the province and Metrolinx have insisted that this is exactly the kind of thing that will be easier with Presto. And really, I don't see why not. It's easy enough to slice up the revenue if the pass is sold on Presto, in the same manner as now. And surely they just need to load a pass for each of the fourth participating agencies, rather than just one.

They've stated that the Day Pass won't be available on Presto because the 2-hour transfer is viewed as being sufficient for the majority of cases in which a day pass would have previously been useful.

However, I believe Heather MacMillan Brown has said that they plan to have a day pass available on the Presto Tickets dispensed at vending machines and sold at shoppers. Presumably the timeframe would be identical, or almost identical, to the single-ride tickets, as there wouldn't really be a big systemic difference in the infrastructure required; e.g. have separate options on the touchscreen, and encode the "cards" differently.

I can't think of a way for the weekend day pass to work on Presto tickets, because of the faregates being programmed not to allow repeat taps within 5 minutes. Maybe the machines could just dispense 2 paper tickets on weekends for the price of 1, but that runs the risk of people handing out their second ticket to passers-by. Maybe institute a requirement during fare inspections that both tickets must be presented together? But that doesn't take care of subway ridership, and it might not be possible to clearly communicate that to riders. They'll probably just cut it.

At the Presto town hall last week, it was announced that a weekly discount program would be launched in March, subject to board approval.

At the Presto town hall last week, it was announced that a weekly discount program would be launched in March, subject to board approval.
Re-announced - this is the same date and approval requirement reported 6 months ago. Though I suppose that anything is still on time is progress ...

It's weekly rate capping. I'd guess that they'd propose doing it at the current $43.75 rate - so would kick in on the 15th ride.

What did they say about daily rate capping. That was supposed to be available 2 months ago, and didn't need board approval?

Last edited:
They need to come up with a day pass for the Presto as it will cost more than the 2 hours currently been used. A day pass cover 24 hours and if someone does 5 trips in that 24 hour time frame, it just cost them more than the day pass currently does. Even 4 trips at current fare exceed the day pass cost and show TTC is out of tune to meet rider needs.

As for weekend pass and special day pass for family, the roaming TTC personnel can open a gate for these people or have a gate that will do it with a sign above it.

Back