• Councillor Shelley Carroll
  • Joanne De Laurentiis (Citizen)
  • Alan Heisey, Q.C. (Citizen)
  • Councillor Jim Karygiannis
  • Councillor Jennifer McKelvie
  • Ron Lalonde (Citizen)
  • Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong
(Don't like the selection.)

2 of the new concillours ? And Minnan-Wong ? Boo !

From G&M https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ubway-signal-system-upgrade-by-2019-deadline/

A half-billion-dollar project that will help relieve crowding on Toronto’s busiest subway line will take up to two extra years and an unknown amount of additional money to complete, The Globe and Mail has learned.
According to multiple people familiar with the project, a decade-long effort to install a modern signalling system that would allow more frequent subway service on the Yonge-University-Spadina line is no longer expected to be finished in 2019, the date that was decided on when the project was overhauled in 2015. The sources were granted anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter.

Colour me 'amazed"!

Maybe they should have been designing and building the 7th subway car for each of the Line 1 trains, by now.

If Ford sees fit to fund Line 2 re-signalling then new rolling stock for Line 1 will likely occur at the same time.

That said, there was some speculation that a 7th car, despite fitting the platforms, may require non-trivial modifications to storage yards, shops, pocket tracks, and possibly a few switch layouts, etc. Has TTC released a report indicating other adjustments required in addition to completing ATO for the 7th car?

From G&M https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ubway-signal-system-upgrade-by-2019-deadline/

A half-billion-dollar project that will help relieve crowding on Toronto’s busiest subway line will take up to two extra years and an unknown amount of additional money to complete, The Globe and Mail has learned.
According to multiple people familiar with the project, a decade-long effort to install a modern signalling system that would allow more frequent subway service on the Yonge-University-Spadina line is no longer expected to be finished in 2019, the date that was decided on when the project was overhauled in 2015. The sources were granted anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter.

Colour me 'amazed"!
it doesn't really surprise me because they got behind earlier this year because of the cancelled weekend closures, it was supposed to be completed from Dupont to Vaughn in October and it didn't happen until December.

they can't fit 7 cars on to a train unless they decrease the size of them people need to give up on this idea as it's imposable.
TTC has been talking about having a 7th car for years. Yes, if they added one, it would be a bit shorter - about 15 metres instead of 23 metres. Perhaps 17 metres or so if they were to stick out a bit at each end, but have the doors on the platform.

The original TTC subway cars were 17 metres long, as are the Montreal ones, where they use a 9-car train.

I'm not sure they'd go this route, instead of just designing a new train in the future that has 7 or 8 equal-length cars. But it's quote possible.

TTC has been talking about having a 7th car for years. Yes, if they added one, it would be a bit shorter - about 15 metres instead of 23 metres. Perhaps 17 metres or so if they were to stick out a bit at each end, but have the doors on the platform.

The original TTC subway cars were 17 metres long, as are the Montreal ones, where they use a 9-car train.

I'm not sure they'd go this route, instead of just designing a new train in the future that has 7 or 8 equal-length cars. But it's quote possible.
The problem with trains of variable length (or layout) is that the platform-edge doors will not work. - or will need to be adjusted. IF we ever get PE doors we will need to already have decided on a train layout we intend to stick with.

The problem with trains of variable length (or layout) is that the platform-edge doors will not work. - or will need to be adjusted. IF we ever get PE doors we will need to already have decided on a train layout we intend to stick with.

I can guarantee that platform edge doors will not be installed prior to the Toronto Rockets being decommissioned or moved off Line 1.

There's a decade of fire upgrades to build before PE doors; even half-height doors will trap smoke at unconscious human level..

I can guarantee that platform edge doors will not be installed prior to the Toronto Rockets being decommissioned or moved off Line 1.

There's a decade of fire upgrades to build before PE doors; even half-height doors will trap smoke at unconscious human level..

I'd give them more time than TRs being moved to Line 2, we should be expecting new trains in less than a decade given the SSE and the perceived age of the T1s.
It'll be sad not being able to sit at the front of the train anymore, but times must change.

Back