News   Jul 15, 2024
 88     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

That's probably one of the lowest ridership subways in the world. Line 1 alone carries 736,000 riders per day.

That prize probably goes to Cleveland - its subway is 32 km long and carries about 25,000 people per weekday. They have an LRT system too - three lines that move around 10,000 per weekday.

That's probably one of the lowest ridership subways in the world. Line 1 alone carries 736,000 riders per day.

Subway system as a whole? Possibly.

Far from the lowest ridership of a single line though. My go to for these kinds of things is Chicago because they have great reports.

2016 is their most recent Annual report (2017 only has ridership posted through to November).
http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/ridership_reports/2016_Annual_-_Final.pdf

Pink is less than half that (18k trips per weekday) in 2016.
Orange is 29k trips per weekday.
Green (all pieces) sum around 42k trips per weekday.

Concerns raised after TTC fare inspectors pin rider to ground, trigger large police response

So it looks like TTC Fare Enforcement have likely assaulted a child over a $3.00 transit fare. Reports are that the child was leaving the LRV as the fare inspectors were checking fares. A fare inspector then grabbed the child from behind by his the collar. The child apparently didn't give much physical resistance. Somehow that ended up with five officers pinning this child to the ground.

It turned out that the child actually paid their fare. No charges were laid against the child.

I'm going to wait for more concrete information before I call for blood. But lets just say that TTC Special Constables and Transit Enforcement have a long history of getting themselves in these kinds of altercations, and occasionally even outright corruption. I'm not inclined to give the officers the benefit of the doubt.

Not just Toronto having problems with fare evasion. Washington, D.C. as well. See link. Down there, they want fare evasion to be treated like a toll road evasion, without a criminal penalty.

Nobody gets thrown in jail for not paying a highway toll or a parking meter. But for some reason people who break transit fare rules are subject to criminal penalties.

In Washington, DC, jumping a turnstile is punishable by a fine of up to $300 and up to 10 days in jail. A bill in the City Council would make these penalties much less severe, treating fare evasion as a civil violation instead of a crime. It has majority support in the council, but WMATA is resisting.

Now the push for decriminalization in DC is gaining momentum, reports Eve Zhurbinskiy at Greater Greater Washington. The Save Our System Coalition — composed of transit unions, the local Black Lives Matter chapter, and other activists — is drawing attention to the use of excessive force and racial profiling by police enforcing transit fares.

Subway system as a whole? Possibly.

Far from the lowest ridership of a single line though. My go to for these kinds of things is Chicago because they have great reports.

2016 is their most recent Annual report (2017 only has ridership posted through to November).
http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/ridership_reports/2016_Annual_-_Final.pdf

Pink is less than half that (18k trips per weekday) in 2016.
Orange is 29k trips per weekday.
Green (all pieces) sum around 42k trips per weekday.

Remember, these lines are really old, and the city has a lot of public transit ridership overall for its city's population, about as much as Toronto. Sure, ridership is lower, but the system is undergoing a lot of refurbishment and it's a really good system to use; one of North America's better systems. For heavy rail elevated lines, they're doing quite well.

Remember, these lines are really old, and the city has a lot of public transit ridership overall for its city's population, about as much as Toronto. Sure, ridership is lower, but the system is undergoing a lot of refurbishment and it's a really good system to use; one of North America's better systems. For heavy rail elevated lines, they're doing quite well.

Wouldn't the interlining along the busiest inner sections also muddy the numbers? Definitely around the loop people would just take whatever train.

Wouldn't the interlining along the busiest inner sections also muddy the numbers? Definitely around the loop people would just take whatever train.
Total numbers are calculated by station entrances if I'm not mistaken. Considering that many entrances are not manned, I wouldn't be surprised if there are fare evasion issues there.

Total numbers are calculated by station entrances if I'm not mistaken. Considering that many entrances are not manned, I wouldn't be surprised if there are fare evasion issues there.
If they are counting at station entrances I assume it is automated and the % of fare evasion is probably a TINY portion of rides. The general opinion is that fare evasion is between 2 and 4% and higher on vehicles than at stations where there are usually some staff around (even if not just sitting there.)

The 501 was all buses it seemed today despite no notice from the TTC... did they have a bad streetcar shortage today ?

Meanwhile, St. Clair is mostly Flexities with few CLRVs.
According to Steve Munro, this will be moving ahead more starting April 1st. "The 512 St. Clair streetcar will become an officially low-floor route with all off-peak service designated to receive Flexity cars. Peak period extras will become fully low-floor as new cars are available. The service frequencies are almost identical to the current schedules."

Back