News   Jul 16, 2024
 157     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 908     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

They're fffing idiots. Council has an opportunity to avoid much of what's happened in the last few days, and much more trouble will happen, these events are messages from the canaries in the subway mine, and Toronto has the opportunity to relieve a huge amount of subway load by using surface routes.

Probably not reliably given limitations inherit in that mode, the streetcar shortfall and the lack of ROW linkage to and from King - but it's still better than nothing. It's a stopgap option, not a solution.

AoD

They're fffing idiots. Council has an opportunity to avoid much of what's happened in the last few days, and much more trouble will happen, these events are messages from the canaries in the subway mine, and Toronto has the opportunity to relieve a huge amount of subway load by using surface routes.

Most councilors are probably driving down to council and parking at City Hall. They are oblivious.

Probably not reliably given limitations inherit in that mode, the streetcar shortfall and the lack of ROW linkage to and from King - but it's still better than nothing. It's a stopgap option, not a solution.

AoD
Agreed, nothing can make up for the lack of foresight and action in transit planning, but King alone is third most used transit route in Toronto. Any other city transit project that would beat that is decades away. If anything, this is Tory's and Council's cause d'etre to end the pilot phase immediately, and move to a permanent one, and fer Crisakes, fund it to make it work far better, faster and sooner than what it is now. I dispute the claims for it already being 'near capacity'. The capacity is limited by a Council that only spends $1.5M on it!

Even the King Streetcar pilot feels self-defeating as a policy intervention.

The induced demand generated from making King Streetcar more efficient has probably just boosted King's ridership past 75,000 daily riders.

There is an upper capacity limit for that mode of transit, even with added grade separation.

Imagine if Byford was here yesterday. He would have been out on the streets talking to affected passengers, and been all over the media explaining what happened and reminding our shitty politicians that it's time to stop fking around with transit.

Probably the #1 reason why he was a great asset and his absence is more noticeable.

Even the King Streetcar pilot feels self-defeating as a policy intervention.

The induced demand generated from making King Streetcar more efficient has probably just boosted King's ridership past 75,000 daily riders.

There is an upper capacity limit for that mode of transit, even with added grade separation.

Since there's supposed to be a new service between Broadview and Unilever in the midrange, I'm quite certain we're going to have to see a King solution continue east on King then up Broadview. Kind of logical considering it already sees super-busy 504 and 505. Broadview Ave wouldn't be able to handle another service without some traffic intervention. Perhaps time to put it in place sooner rather than later as a stopgap before RL.

Update:

Watched 6 trains go by, barely anyone getting on as Eglinton continued filling up.

Just as the crowd behind me began backing up into the northbound side of the central platform, a northbound train is taken out of service at Eglinton dumping all passengers on to the platform. Dangerous.

Finally they send an empty train to relief us. We completely filled it up.

No luck for people in Davisville and St Clair. They barely could get on our relief train.

Was this triggered by a service disruption?

Either way, this is unacceptable. I don’t know how Yonge is going to deal with the Crosstown.

I quibble on the details, but the gist is completely warranted. What states "priorities" louder than action is that the City has only budgeted $1.5M for the King Pilot.

Clarification: I don't see Parliament, if restored, being anything more than what a bus could provide, but King is a glowing example of where a tiny fraction of the costs of building subways to North Bay renders far greater yield. And in a couple of years, not decades.

That new Gardiner off ramp cost $30 Million. $1.5 Million for King is an insult.

Was this triggered by a service disruption?

Either way, this is unacceptable. I don’t know how Yonge is going to deal with the Crosstown.
Yah. Northbound between Union and Bloor was super slow today because of a cracked rail. This had service consequences throughout the system.

Also, one thing I noticed on one of the trains this morning is that the doors couldn't close because despite the trains being full, some individuals insist that they are getting on and thereby blocking the doors.

One of the 6 trains I watched this morning was stuck with doors open for a good 5 minutes because of that reason.

I don't care how much added capacity ATC is supposedly going to create on the Yonge Line. ATC only functions as it is supposed to if it ignores the human factor. The human factor however, results in the above situations (where one insistent guy or gal blocks the doors from closing) which means the capacity gains from ATC are effectively meaningless at rush hour.

Yah. Northbound between Union and Bloor was super slow today because of a cracked rail. This had service consequences throughout the system.

Also, one thing I noticed on one of the trains this morning is that the doors couldn't close because despite the trains being full, some individuals insist that they are getting on and thereby blocking the doors.

One of the 6 trains I watched this morning was stuck with doors open for a good 5 minutes because of that reason.

I don't care how much added capacity ATC is supposedly going to create on the Yonge Line. ATC only functions as it is supposed to if it ignores the human factor. The human factor however, results in the above situations (where one insistent guy or gal blocks the doors from closing) which means the capacity gains from ATC are effectively meaningless at rush hour.

ATC may even make the mess burn a little brighter if it doesn't take into account station congestion due to increased throughput.

AoD

i guess then theyll have to assign some japan style white gloved stationmasters to stuff people into the trains ;)

That's exactly right. As much as it's not discussed much, given normal circumstances, airplanes at properly equipped airports can pretty much take-off and land completely in automatic mode.

But if passengers are jammed getting on or off of those planes, all the automatic systems in the world won't make a difference. ATC has been oversold to the Toronto public. Not to mention there isn't enough rolling stock to satisfy the ostensibly increased potential capacity from it.

Last edited:
Cracked rail at Bloor station causing longer than normal subway travel times on Line 1
cracked-rail.jpg

Back