News   Jul 16, 2024
 92     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 844     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 976     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Or cancel our Amazon bid since we can't get our shit together.

On the bright side, I am fairly sure at least we have a transit system here, however creaky it is. Indianapolis just voted to allow LRTs to make their bid competitive (and the less we talk about transit in Atlanta or Austin the better we are all for it).

AoD

On the bright side, I am fairly sure at least we have a transit system here, however creaky it is. Indianapolis just voted to allow LRTs to make the bid competitive.

AoD

What is the chance that Amazon will not only choose Toronto, but fund transit infrastructure FOR Toronto?

Nah, that won't happen. Jeff Bezos is not retired Bill Gates.

Will the standing room on the platform be widened at all when it’s shifted south?

Transfer demand at Eglinton should be about a quarter the demand at Bloor, however the Eglinton Station platforms are already very crowded as is.

For the center platforms like St George or Eglinton they should look at removing the broom closets that are at platform level. Why do they need these huge areas for storage when there is a perfectly good elevator which will take them to the concourse level with the same closet. They are redundant after the elevators were installed yet still take up valuable real estate at the platform level.

It would give passengers a lot more room.

What happened, according to Brad Ross.

DU0ReIOU8AAc1Ng.jpg

The TTC better get on with the "state of the art" digital PA system.

Also, would any of the impacts from this event be lowered if Sheppard West was connected to Sheppard-Yonge? What route do trains take to get from Wilson to Bloor-Yonge?

The TTC better get on with the "state of the art" digital PA system.

Also, would any of the impacts from this event be lowered if Sheppard West was connected to Sheppard-Yonge? What route do trains take to get from Wilson to Bloor-Yonge?

I am curious why it is that a 20yo system have degraded to this level and nothing was done about it? The snap crackle pop isn’t exactly a new problem - it’s been around for at least 25 years.

AoD

The depressing part is the Relief Line is at least 7 years away and Relief Line Long maybe 10+. If its this bad today imagine what it might be like in 5 years. Might be time to stop with excuses and expand the Downtown stations like I mentioned, perhaps considering platform gates too.
Optimism here. TTC corporate plan says Relief Line South 2028 - 2032, so 8 to 14 years away, delays or changes aside.

The depressing part is the Relief Line is at least 7 years away and Relief Line Long maybe 10+. If its this bad today imagine what it might be like in 5 years. Might be time to stop with excuses and expand the Downtown stations like I mentioned, perhaps considering platform gates too.
King Streetafy all the Streetcar routes and get Parliament Route back.

For the center platforms like St George or Eglinton they should look at removing the broom closets that are at platform level. Why do they need these huge areas for storage when there is a perfectly good elevator which will take them to the concourse level with the same closet. They are redundant after the elevators were installed yet still take up valuable real estate at the platform level.

It would give passengers a lot more room.

The "broom closets" at platform level are also ERR's. They are emergency response rooms. You can tell where they are by the yellow sticker on the door marked ERR.

These rooms are there in event that someone jumps (and they need to relocate a body), if there is a flood, fire etc on the platform or onboard a train. The fact that they are there for use in an emergency requires them to be close to the scene of any potential emergency. In this case at platform level.

I recall a situation at Warden where someone ended up under a train. The gear to resolve the situation was located in the ERR at platform level. The rooms are big enough to hold a body for transport if needed.

Back