News   Jul 16, 2024
 208     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 964     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Yah. Northbound between Union and Bloor was super slow today because of a cracked rail. This had service consequences throughout the system.

Also, one thing I noticed on one of the trains this morning is that the doors couldn't close because despite the trains being full, some individuals insist that they are getting on and thereby blocking the doors.

One of the 6 trains I watched this morning was stuck with doors open for a good 5 minutes because of that reason.

I don't care how much added capacity ATC is supposedly going to create on the Yonge Line. ATC only functions as it is supposed to if it ignores the human factor. The human factor however, results in the above situations (where one insistent guy or gal blocks the doors from closing) which means the capacity gains from ATC are effectively meaningless at rush hour.
Just make it so that the subway doors don't reopen when they close, and instead of closing slowing and slowing down at the end, it should close fast and destroy anything that is between it. Therefore, people wouldn't dare run at closing doors nor holding them open.

ATC may even make the mess burn a little brighter if it doesn't take into account station congestion due to increased throughput.

AoD

I can just imagine the compounding effect of delay on the system when you multiply the delay caused by the human factor by x number of stations.

A couple seconds here, couple seconds there multiplied at every station adds up.

Just make it so that the subway doors don't reopen when they close, and instead of closing slowing and slowing down at the end, it should close fast and destroy anything that is between it. Therefore, people wouldn't dare run at closing doors nor holding them open.
The doors did not even close a first time. And I dunno, I have seen and heard some crazy stories of people getting on the subway. My buddy told me that during yesterday's rush hour struggles, one lady decided to use her stroller as a battering ram to get on.

So I would not design systems that are dependent on humans behaving well.

A lot more in the off-peak, but not that many more in the peak me thinks.

I think it depends on how viable it is during peak at various stations - I think it may increase the number of stations that will become saturated.

I can just imagine the compounding effect of delay on the system when you multiply the delay caused by the human factor by x number of stations.

A couple seconds here, couple seconds there multiplied at every station adds up.

The benefit of ATC - more trains running closer together - will mean that the are more people on the system - any disruption will just translates into a greater number of people affected (and they all have to get off somewhere right - say interchanges...)

AoD

Not impress with this weekend travel for anyone and TTC wonder why less riders using the system.

Signal upgrades on TTC Line 1 this weekend

January 31, 2018

This weekend, Feb. 3-4, TTC crews will continue installation of the Automatic Train Control (ATC) signal system. In order to complete this work, the portion of Line 1 Yonge-University between St Clair West and Union stations will be closed.

Throughout the closure, express shuttle buses will run between Spadina and St Clair West stations only. The TTC encourages customers to use the following alternatives:
- Line 2 Bloor-Danforth
- Yonge portion of Line 1
- 6 Bay bus
- East-west streetcars on College, Dundas, Queen and King Sts. to connect with the Yonge portion of Line 1

St Clair West, Spadina, St George and Union stations will be open for fare sales and connections to surface vehicles. All other stations on this part of Line 1 will be closed.

When ATC is fully implemented in 2020, it will provide a more modern and reliable signal system that will allow for an increase in the number of trains operating on Line 1.

While the TTC does most subway maintenance at the conclusion of service each night, it continues to require weekend closures to complete ATC and state-of-good-repair work. One weekend of work during a closure is equivalent to about five weeks of nightly work.

This is the first of three such closures on this portion of Line 1 in 2018. This year, there will be a total of 39 full weekend closures, three one-day closures and seven late openings. Metrolinx requires 24 closures to accommodate Eglinton Crosstown LRT construction at Yonge St. and Eglinton Ave. The TTC will take advantage of those closures for maintenance and upgrades in the affected areas.

The next scheduled subway closures are:
- Feb. 10-11 - Line 1 Yonge-University: St Clair to Lawrence for Metrolinx construction on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT
- Feb. 17-18 - Line 1 Yonge-University: St Clair to Lawrence for Metrolinx construction on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT
- Feb. 24-25 - Line 1 Yonge-University: St Clair to Sheppard for Metrolinx construction on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and TTC track work.

Thats better then last year when they would not have run a shuttle at all between St. Clair west and Spadina.

Thats better then last year when they would not have run a shuttle at all between St. Clair west and Spadina.

Eh, there's the 512 to the Yonge subway. I could see the logic in just telling people to take that, provided they allocate a few extra streetcars up there for the weekend, even 1 or 2 flexities short turning SC-SCW only would be plenty.

Cracked rail at Bloor station causing longer than normal subway travel times on Line 1
cracked-rail.jpg
I cant even blame the rails anymore. I'm actually surprised the platforms at Bloor havent started to crack either from the immense beating it takes on a daily basis.

In all honesty this whole situation with the Yonge Line has been out of hand for years, to the point where any minor delay just cripples the line. The more people that are jammed on there, the more delays there are, which just paralyzes the entire system. This is something politicians have an immense amount of trouble comprehending.

My understanding is that the platform is moving north. They could have made the platform longer, with the SB train stopping at the north end and the NB train stopping at the south end. You could end up with a 200m long platform.
Is there space that they could add side platforms for both line 1 and the Crosstown at Eglington?

Back