News   Jul 16, 2024
 71     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 823     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 957     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

If you need to bypass the main interchange because of an unsafe level of overcrowding, just what kind of transit system are you operating?
One that's near capacity, and can't handle extra capacity through the busiest section.

So someone explain to me how the heck Eglinton Station is going to handle the crush load of Bloor-Yonge, especially on days like this morning, with a shared central platform that is 1/3 the size of Bloor-Yonge's platform?????
Good question. I was surprised by the choice of a central platform. There were other options - such as staggering the two platforms (one north of Eglinton, one south, with a bit of overlap if necessary - though if they eliminate the third track north of the station, there should be enough room for an entire new platform)). And if they really couldn't squeeze in a second platform anywhere, then you could be really radical and build a new southbound tunnel under Duplex and put one (or two) platforms there. There's nothing to say platforms or tunnels have to be together.

Transfer demand at Eglinton should be about a quarter the demand at Bloor, however the Eglinton Station platforms are already very crowded as is.
I suppose the question is, is how many of those people currently crowding the platform, will simply be using the LRT, and will still be there.

However, what's the long-term plan. Though I guess not much precludes building a new platform later on.

Here's an example of a staggered platform - Oval station on the Northern line in London. There are other examples in New York City.

upload_2018-1-30_22-51-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-30_22-51-44.png
    upload_2018-1-30_22-51-44.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 246
My understanding is that the platform is moving north. They could have made the platform longer, with the SB train stopping at the north end and the NB train stopping at the south end. You could end up with a 200m long platform.

Eglinton is soooo crowded once again this morning. There will be a death here before at Bloor Yonge. The platform is way too narrow.

Update:

Watched 6 trains go by, barely anyone getting on as Eglinton continued filling up.

Just as the crowd behind me began backing up into the northbound side of the central platform, a northbound train is taken out of service at Eglinton dumping all passengers on to the platform. Dangerous.

Finally they send an empty train to relief us. We completely filled it up.

No luck for people in Davisville and St Clair. They barely could get on our relief train.

Last edited:
Update:

Watched 6 trains to by, barely anyone getting on as Eglinton continued filling up.

Just as the crowd behind me began backing up into the northbound side of the central platform, a northbound train is taken out of service at Eglinton dumping all passengers on to the platform. Dangerous.

Finally they send an empty train to relief us. We completely filled it up.

No luck for people in Davisville and St Clair. They barely could get on our relief train.

Ouch. And not a peep from JoTo about the issue - though to be fair, he has been absent for a few years now. Leadership in the face of adversity is his strong suite afterall.

AoD

Last edited:
another super slow ride downtown on University line this morning...and not one announcement made on PA. I don't transfer but from what I'm reading the interchange stations seem dangerous. I hope no one has to die before a relief line is built. And no more extensions to fields and parking lots, its only making it worse!!

The photos/videos of the crowds at the staircase and walkways is what perturbed me most - you basically have a situation where you have an enclosed space with blocked egress points, and that's a recipe for disaster. All it takes is a slight stampede to get things going the wrong way.

AoD
Not to be too concerned! After careful study, and consultations with experts in animal control, a very workable solution has been found, although the budget is constrained and 'training' will be necessary in the use of batons and tasers:
tokyo-subway-pushers-42.jpg

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2016/08/subway-pushers-of-japan.html

Notice how they've done a marvelous job of keeping the platform clear?

All these troubles occurred after Byford's departure. Coinstances?

You mean someone who did not create sufficient procedures that would mitigate the calamity of errors that staff made yesterday? Who did not create a client-centric culture instilled at all levels of the organization?

He's a teflon man...all talk and nothing sticks to him.

You mean someone who did not create sufficient procedures that would mitigate the calamity of errors that staff made yesterday? Who did not create a client-centric culture instilled at all levels of the organization?

He's a teflon man...all talk and nothing sticks to him.
I don't know. I feel that last year Line 1 showed a little sign of improvement. And all the sudden it collapsed in the new year.

All these troubles occurred after Byford's departure. Coinstances?

Imagine if Byford was here yesterday. He would have been out on the streets talking to affected passengers, and been all over the media explaining what happened and reminding our shitty politicians that it's time to stop fking around with transit.

If people actually did this it would work, but in reality most people would just ignore the messages. People really don't like breaking their commuting habits, and a polite announcement isn't going to make people do that.
You can't be serious, but yet you are. If the announcements were intelligible, which they're not, not even close, people would *most certainly* "change their habits" if it would avoid the crises we're now witnessing.

King Streetafy all the Streetcar routes and get Parliament Route back.
I quibble on the details, but the gist is completely warranted. What states "priorities" louder than action is that the City has only budgeted $1.5M for the King Pilot.

They're fffing idiots. Council has an opportunity to avoid much of what's happened in the last few days, and much more trouble will happen, these events are messages from the canaries in the subway mine, and Toronto has the opportunity to relieve a huge amount of subway load by using surface routes.

Clarification: I don't see Parliament, if restored, being anything more than what a bus could provide, but King is a glowing example of where a tiny fraction of the costs of building subways to North Bay renders far greater yield. And in a couple of years, not decades.

Last edited:

Back