News   Aug 12, 2024
 352     1 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 529     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I agree with your definition of crowding.

I've seen Yonge fairly crowded Saturday nights, but I mean downtown, not in North York.

Of course if 90% has seats it's not crowded. No need to be condescending.

Why would you say the following?

That's not my definition of crowded, please don't make claims about what my definitions are beliefs are. Also this statement seems sarcastic, possibly condescending to me. If that was the definition of crowded then the Sheppard subway would be "crowded".

No I was not intending to be condescending, but rather since you mentioned the Yonge is always crowded, which seems to be very different from my own experience, I was guessing you had a different understanding of "crowdedness".

You said Yonge and BD line are crowded "all day everyday" in the previous post, and since you agree on the definition of "crowdedness", so are you saying it is very difficult to have a seat on the Yonge line and BD line and that one needs to squeeze oneself in/out of the train all day everyday? My experience during non rush hours (eg: 2pm Tuesday, 11am Saturday, 9 pm Sunday etc) show it is far from the case and 90% of the time I am guaranteed a seat, often 4 seats if I want. Actually yesterday I bought a day pass and used it with a friend on the Yonge line probably 4 times, and each time we had seats. The trains were at most at 20% capacity.

I think "well used" would be a better word to describe.

Well used need to be defined though.
I would say if the train are at 30% capacity off peak, it is well used; 50%, very well used. Less than 20%, poorly used. 10%, hardly used.
And if it is poorly used, that means we are providing too frequent a service that is not really justified by the volume (not that I don't enjoy frequent service, but there is a cost associate with that and we all know TTC is under serious cost pressure each year.)

No I was not intending to be condescending, but rather since you mentioned the Yonge is always crowded, which seems to be very different from my own experience, I was guessing you had a different understanding of "crowdedness".

You said Yonge and BD line are crowded "all day everyday" in the previous post, and since you agree on the definition of "crowdedness", so are you saying it is very difficult to have a seat on the Yonge line and BD line and that one needs to squeeze oneself in/out of the train all day everyday? My experience during non rush hours (eg: 2pm Tuesday, 11am Saturday, 9 pm Sunday etc) show it is far from the case and 90% of the time I am guaranteed a seat, often 4 seats if I want. Actually yesterday I bought a day pass and used it with a friend on the Yonge line probably 4 times, and each time we had seats. The trains were at most at 20% capacity.

OK, I misinterpreted your comments. I just felt that the "10-20 people per train is your definition of crowded" comment seemed like such a low amount that it seemed sarcastic to me. But anyways lets move on.

OK, my comment that they are crowded "all day every day" was incorrect or imprecise.

My experience is that most of the time off-rush hours, the Yonge line south of Eglinton is well used, every seat is filled of course, and a lot of the standing room is occupied. I can't quantify the exact amount, but I concede that it's not crowded, but very well used, at least in my impression.

Most of the (excellent) ideas have a budgetary implication so they will need to go into 2015 budget and Council has to approve that.
Many have been approved at TTC in the past. There's little new here in either $ amounts or ideas. It's mostly a summary of previous proposals and $ amounts.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea to put this all in one package.

This from CP24 gives a bit more detail.

The TTC board has approved, in principle, a report containing nine recommendations aimed at improving transit service.

The report, titled "Opportunities to Improve Transit Service in Toronto," put forth initiatives such as the introduction of express bus service on 20 key routes, increased bus and streetcar frequency every 10 minutes during peak-hours and the expansion of overnight service where needed.

"I'm obviously very pleased that the board has supported in principle the recommendations that we put forward in this staff report," said Andy Byford, the TTC's chief executive officer.

At a press conference at his campaign headquarters Tuesday morning, Mayoral candidate Rob Ford vowed to implement many of the proposals contained in the report, adding that he would set aside $30 million annually towards some of the recommendations.

The money would come from a pool of $100 million in annual savings Ford hopes to achieve through streamlining management within the civil service, implementing a common procurement and purchasing strategy and developing a joint labour relations and collective bargaining strategy.

“We need to build a better subway system but these major projects take time and people say ‘Rob, what are you going to do now?’ Well this is what I am going to do now,” Ford said. “Today I am committing to fund these service improvements in my next term of office.”

The TTC report also called for the for the introduction of a two-hour window in which riders could use transfers and all-door boarding on streetcar routes to help reduce delays, but Ford told reporters that he cannot support either of those ideas.

The total package of improvements is expected to cost about $288 million over the next five years if approved.

“I don’t buy this two hours stuff,” Ford said of the time-based transfer, which would allow riders to hop on and off any TTC vehicle. “For $3 you can go from Kipling out to Scarborough. You will not find a cheaper way of getting around the city.”

Ford says Tory doesn’t understand how city hall works

The report, which was released Friday, has been positively received by most mayoral candidates so far, though John Tory did tell CP24 that it would be “less than responsible” for members of council to vote on it as soon as its meeting next week, given the lack of information on how it would be funded.

“John is claiming that he has not had enough time to evaluate a short 17-opage report and if John had any experience at city hall he would know that these reports drop five days before it is dealt with,” Ford said on Tuesday. “Clearly he lacks the conviction to make the tough choices.”

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/ttc-board-approves-report-on-service-improvements-1.1965708#ixzz3AsALwy3q

I'm impressed that Rob Ford acknowledged that subways take a long time to build. He usually talks like he personally has already built a subway with his bare hands that people are using now.

According to this, next week

This will happen only with the new Council. The actual running of the TTC is up to the Commissioners but the budget needs the OK of Council. The fact that the "Byford plan" was accepted today allows staff to put the costs of implementing it into the draft 2015 operating and capital budgets and presumably to refine the costs and timings. The TTC budget will be approved (or amended) by the TTC Board in late 2014 or early 2015 and then go to Council. We are far from being 'done' with this but it's a start.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back