News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 414     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

TTC report noted that there are an increasing amount of late night riders on the TTC. Maybe it's time for the TTC to start looking at extending subway hours? Though it's hard to say without seeing the numbers

TTC report noted that there are an increasing amount of late night riders on the TTC. Maybe it's time for the TTC to start looking at extending subway hours? Though it's hard to say without seeing the numbers
This is not likely to happen because the TTC needs time to do maintenance. Unlike many systems we have no express tracks that can be used as by-passes. See http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...19/Reports/Explanation_of_Subway_Closures.pdf for a good explanation of the implications for repair times.

This is not likely to happen because the TTC needs time to do maintenance. Unlike many systems we have no express tracks that can be used as by-passes. See http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...19/Reports/Explanation_of_Subway_Closures.pdf for a good explanation of the implications for repair times.

Shut the subway down earlier during the week since it's not really needed after midnight and use that extra repair time to allow for the subway to open later on Fri/Sat where it's needed more.

The night buses run fine in my experience anyways.

Because there are less people riding than during the day, there isn't a capacity issue with using buses. Because it's night time, there isn't much traffic and buses run fairly fast. They run pretty frequently.

With all the Bloor-Eglinton weekend closures coming up, maybe the track work will allow them to remove the slow-order and speed up service? Or am I being too hopeful?

The night buses run fine in my experience anyways.

Because there are less people riding than during the day, there isn't a capacity issue with using buses. Because it's night time, there isn't much traffic and buses run fairly fast. They run pretty frequently.

With all the Bloor-Eglinton weekend closures coming up, maybe the track work will allow them to remove the slow-order and speed up service? Or am I being too hopeful?

When have you ever had a problem with the TTC? :)

Anyway, the proposed bus plan is very cool, although maybe it is time to expand to 24 hour subway and streetcar service.

This is not likely to happen because the TTC needs time to do maintenance. Unlike many systems we have no express tracks that can be used as by-passes.
I'm hard pressed to think of another system in the nation that has express tracks.

Also, New York City does have 24-hour service on some their lines that don't have express tracks.

I'm hard pressed to think of another system in the nation that has express tracks.

Also, New York City does have 24-hour service on some their lines that don't have express tracks.

Their 24 hour service is kinda shit too. I frequently waited about 45 minutes for some trains in the middle of the night. I'd rather take a bus with more frequency if that's the case.

Four wasted years.

Going through the original bus plan, many of the points could have been implemented this year, 2014, or previous years. Instead, we'll have to add four or five years to the almost all the years in the original. With this new plan, hopefully they've used the original as a starting off point.

Voters got the government efficiencies they wanted.

Drivers got increased congestion and transit users got a reason to drive and add to that congestion.

GO TEAM!

At the next TTC meeting, August 19, 2014, there will be a report on OPPORTUNITIES TO IMPROVE TRANSIT SERVICE IN TORONTO (download the PDF at this link). Their third point to improve transit service is to operate mayor bus and streetcar routes every 10 minutes or better, from 6:00 am (9:00 am Sunday) to 1:00 am on key routes.

I was comparing the headways with the Service Summary, August 31, 2014 to October 11, 2014 (download the PDF at this link). The 502 Downtowner has, during the Monday-Friday Midday, a service interval of 16 minutes, using 5 streetcars.

If you look at this map, Kingston Road east of Victoria Park is included.
10_Minute_Network_Aug_14.jpg

Will 502 Downtowner get an additional streetcar or streetcars to provide the 10 minute service interval as reported? I hope so. They could do it when they get enough of the new low-floor streetcars.

Back