813     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.6K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Typical TTC bullshit. This is their mentality in a nutshell:

"There's no problem!"
"Things will move along like they always have."
"No money, sorry!"

Well the " no money" thing is kind of an issue. You can't expect them to have everything in perfect condition when we hardly give them any money to work with.

Well the " no money" thing is kind of an issue. You can't expect them to have everything in perfect condition when we hardly give them any money to work with.

True, and I fully support funding the TTC better (the least-subsidized thing continually comes up for good reason). But then you also get little gems like this:

Well, let's not forget the TTC/Stintz just decided to use a $47M surplus to hold the fare constant either.

Andy Byford was at Chester station this morning chatting with riders. I spent a few minutes with him, and was impressed with his sincerity, as he seemed genuinely interested in talking with me. He commented that the TTC has been working hard to give stations a more professional appearance (such as eliminating hand-written signage, and returning/restoring the TTC font to stations), and that he's hired a new manager for subway operations from London's Tube, to address things like delays with train crew changes. He also mentioned that he was serious about tackling the problem of bunching on surface routes. I told him that the system certainly has declined from when I first arrived in Toronto several decades ago, but that it is still an under-appreciated gem that a lot of Torontonians had great affection for, and I hoped that he could really improve things.

All in all, I thought it was fantastic that he's engaging directly with riders (how well he can actually address the problems is another matter).

Tulse:

Yes, I think it's a meet the managers day. Anyways, I think Byford have been effective, certainly operated beyond expectations given the technical limitations of what we have, in a hyper-politicized environment.

AoD

True, and I fully support funding the TTC better (the least-subsidized thing continually comes up for good reason). But then you also get little gems like this:

And they very well should! The fares are ridiculously high for the awful service we are already receiving. The cost of a Metropass is actually outrageous and completely out of line with other transit providers in North America and the world.

And they very well should! The fares are ridiculously high for the awful service we are already receiving. The cost of a Metropass is actually outrageous and completely out of line with other transit providers in North America and the world.

... some of which are heavily subsidized to the point where fare revenues cover well under 50% of expenses, unlike the TTC.

Just in time for His Honour's triumphant return?

Tender Call number: 209-2014
Commodity: Construction Services, Road - Curb - Sidewalk
Description: Crackfilling - Etobicoke York DistrictCrackfilling – Wards 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13 & 17, Etobicoke York District

Andy Byford was at Chester station this morning chatting with riders. I spent a few minutes with him, and was impressed with his sincerity, as he seemed genuinely interested in talking with me. He commented that the TTC has been working hard to give stations a more professional appearance (such as eliminating hand-written signage, and returning/restoring the TTC font to stations), and that he's hired a new manager for subway operations from London's Tube, to address things like delays with train crew changes. He also mentioned that he was serious about tackling the problem of bunching on surface routes. I told him that the system certainly has declined from when I first arrived in Toronto several decades ago, but that it is still an under-appreciated gem that a lot of Torontonians had great affection for, and I hoped that he could really improve things.

All in all, I thought it was fantastic that he's engaging directly with riders (how well he can actually address the problems is another matter).

I agree with you. It's the "cost savings" the TTC (and the city) does. Why have cleaners clean the stations throughout the day, when cleaning them once a day can save us money? That's one example. There are others. All the result of reduced operating subsidies from the city and especially the province.

I agree with you. It's the "cost savings" the TTC (and the city) does. Why have cleaners clean the stations throughout the day, when cleaning them once a day can save us money?

We did that and people complained the stations were dirty, so day-time cleaners were re-hired. That was only a few years ago; maybe even a Stintz initiative.

The last H6 is schedule to run eastbound from Greewood at 10 am on Friday. Still waiting to hear when it supposed to do its last run from Kennedy to Kipling as to time. I have known for weeks of this day, but not the time, as I was planning to catch it westbound at Dundas W and ride it to Kennedy like the H4.

Another chapter for TTC being close.

As for Andy, I hope he gets an extension to his contract, since he is more into his position and bring the system up to standards than the 2 before him that I have seen in action.

We did that and people complained the stations were dirty, so day-time cleaners were re-hired. That was only a few years ago; maybe even a Stintz initiative.

The TTC (and city hall in general) are always attempting "cost savings" that makes things worse or a disaster. Delaying maintenance is the worst case, it only increases the cost and time in end for some other future administration.

Here is what I just received for the final run of H6 on Friday.

10 am, EB from Greenwood to Kennedy, then one round trip

Back