News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 829     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.7K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Just a heads up to anyone on the subway in the downtown core today, some severe overcrowding is happening and we're getting delays because trains are moving slowly in stations to avoid hitting anyone onto the tracks. Also my train was so crowded I couldn't get out at Queens Park and had to wait until it emptied out at St George.

Oh DRL, please come soon.

There was a delay at Bloor/Yonge for a while which probably caused the overcrowding. But yes, the DRL is needed!

How the Toronto (TTC) Subway Train Signal System works

[video=youtube;i342pCPvSh0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i342pCPvSh0[/video]

TTC, city look into low-income transit fares

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/06/24/ttc_city_look_into_lowincome_transit_fares.html

For the first time, the city and TTC are working together on a low-income fare to make transit available to those who need it most. “There’s a lot of talk about transit expansion but if we don’t have a companion conversation about affordability we might not be providing transit benefits to those Torontonians who most need it,” said Chris Brillinger, executive director of Toronto’s social development, finance and administration.

With Toronto region gridlock and transit expansion atop the public agenda and the Presto electronic fare’s ability to offer a wider range of TTC fares, experts say the time is right to tackle transit affordability. The issue of income-based fares has been raised at the TTC and other city departments individually. Now, however,a report before Toronto’s executive committee July 2 recommends that staff from social development, the TTC, public health, planning and others develop joint guidelines for affordable fares. The policy would come back to council in early 2015.

“Six dollars a day, two trips, is a significant hit for someone who is unemployed and looking for work, (or) a single parent trying to move kids around to get to an aquatics program that isn’t in their local neighbourhood,” Brillinger said.
“If you want a concession pass for lower income people you have to fund it,” said TTC chief customer officer Chris Upfold. That’s a policy decision that has to come from outside the TTC.

How much an income-based concession fare costs would depend on the qualifying level and how the rest of the fare system is structured. “It’s not necessarily fair to ask other customers to pay more,” said Upfold.
Hamilton, Windsor, Calgary, York Region and Kingston have affordable fare policies, said Monica Campbell, of Toronto Public Health.

4206 wrote off an expensive car by Simcoe today when it made a u-turn in front of it and trapping the diver in it. There were 4 ALRV's line up on the east side going west and expected a few more before the word got out to put the 501W on detour. Did see one on King.

As for funding low income fare, Mississauga has looked at it and to be in 2015 budget.

14536941823_e0b9abda03_b.jpg

14515432194_a2f6b5d371_b.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting video I found on Toronto's transit system from LA:

[video=youtube;SPgT1jzMHDk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPgT1jzMHDk[/video]

Question: What city would be considered North America's mass transit showplace in 2014?

Another question: Was the RT originally automated, as shown in the video? I was always under the impression that it was human operated since day one. Why did they switch to human operation?

Last edited:
Another question: Was the RT originally automated, as shown in the video? I was always under the impression that it was human operated since day one. Why did they switch to human operation?

The SRT operated in an "augmented manual" mode at opening, and it wasn't until mid-1986 that they were able to operate it reliably in automatic mode.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back in 2000 Toronto was considered North America's mass transit showpiece, a model for LA.
Today, it is more like LA should be a model for Toronto in terms of transit building.

Back in 2000 Toronto was considered North America's mass transit showpiece, a model for LA.
Today, it is more like LA should be a model for Toronto in terms of transit building.

Early 90's. Between the Harris cuts, economic slump (downtown layoffs), and the subway crash from very poor maintenance; TTCs reputation took a substantial hit.

We still do multi-mode integration very well (bus, subway, lrt). If the new Downsview station is any indicator, GO might become well integrated too over the next decade.

Back