News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 814     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.6K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Has anyone noticed a recent swell of police and TTC special constable surveillance for fare evaders on bus platforms? I saw a guy nabbed by a plainclothes officer at Keele station last week and yesterday saw a uniformed special constable hidden behind a wall on the Ossington platform looking for evaders.

Also, has there even been a study of the amount of revenue the TTC loses from fare evasion?

Last edited:
yes, they lose a bunch. They got permission to hire a bunch of fare checkers in the budget this year, in preparation for the new streetcars. I presume they have now done that hiring and have them doing a fare spree in other locations first.

Has anyone noticed a recent swell of police and TTC special constable surveillance for fare evaders on bus platforms? I saw a guy nabbed by a plainclothes officer at Keele station last week and yesterday saw a uniformed special constable hidden behind a wall on the Ossington platform looking for evaders.

Also, has there even been a study of the amount of revenue the TTC loses from fare evasion?

Great to hear - strict enforcement of the by laws in general are long overdue. Can we get rid of the panhandling at Y+B next?

AoD

They do tests occasionally and release numbers (usually between 3% and 5%) but those are questionable. They also collect counterfit fares.

One of the tests is to announce they will be checking for fares on streetcars (POP) immediately before a stop. They watch how many passengers get off at that stop and board the back doors of the next streetcar. The assumption is that 100% of these people are fare evaders and everybody else on-board has an excuse (paid but didn't pick up a transfer; very common).

Many agencies implementing smart cards find ridership suddenly surges without any additional crowding when old fare media is removed. TTC changing to POP simultaneously may not get this bump.

Last edited:
TTC can’t make all subway stations accessible due to $240M shortfall

Vid: http://www.680news.com/2014/06/16/t...ay-stations-accessible-due-to-240m-shortfall/

The TTC chair says the commission is unable to meet a provincial requirement that all subway stations be accessible to disabled people due of a $240 million capital shortfall. Plus, Blair Williams shows how difficult it is to use the subway.

Seems like the kind of project the Building Canada Fund was created for. I wonder where our share got earmarked....

I don't see Toronto getting help on this one.

TTC can’t make all subway stations accessible due to $240M shortfall

Vid: http://www.680news.com/2014/06/16/t...ay-stations-accessible-due-to-240m-shortfall/

The TTC chair says the commission is unable to meet a provincial requirement that all subway stations be accessible to disabled people due of a $240 million capital shortfall. Plus, Blair Williams shows how difficult it is to use the subway.

By the 22nd century, they'll need to duplicate all the elevators and escalators to allow for maintenance or breakdowns.

Maybe better if they could have a parallel surface route that follows any underground routes. Personally, would like to see a Yonge and Bloor surface streetcar routes return to allow for better accessibility in case of breakdowns underground.

Last edited:
Well, let's not forget the TTC/Stintz just decided to use a $47M surplus to hold the fare constant either.

AoD

Last edited:
By the 22nd century, they'll need to duplicate all the elevators and escalators to allow for maintenance or breakdowns.

Maybe better if they could have a surface surface that follows any underground routes. Personally, would like to see a Yonge and Bloor surface streetcar routes return to allow for better accessibility in case of breakdowns underground.

Well, TTC and the city needs to get their act together fast to deal with elevators for subways, otherwise they will be face with legal action and high court cost dealing with lawsuit that the stations are not AODA compliance as mandated by the province come 2026. This includes adding more than 1 elevator per station than current has so they can use 1 of the 2 when one goes down or out of service for maintenance. I have been pushing 2 elevators since 2005, but falls on deaf ears.

Putting Streetcars back on Bloor/Danforth would do a lot of good since the subway kill most of it after the streetcars were remove. To do so, you need to remove "ALL" on street parking.

TTC has known for over 5 years they didn't have the funds to meet the date of 2025 for stations, let alone trying to fast track them like a lot of commissioners wanted to do in the first place.

GO is getting the message that they are adding 2/3 elevators to stations today or building a ramp system where they can, so there is no need for elevators. The ramps are a huge cost saving down the road.

The other issue TTC needs to deal with is the gap and different in elevation between the platforms and the subway cars as they exceed the standards today. I have seen riders pushing the accessibility community on to the cars as accessibility community can't deal with the issues themselves.

Matt Galloway interviewed a woman yesterday about the problems accessing the new subway cars with a wheelchair; this morning he interviewed someone from the TTC. The TTC sounded pitiful, i.e, they acknowledged problems at one or two stations (ok, more than one or two when pressed) and hummed and hawed around. It didn't sound as if they were trying all that hard to solve the problem.

Matt Galloway interviewed a woman yesterday about the problems accessing the new subway cars with a wheelchair; this morning he interviewed someone from the TTC. The TTC sounded pitiful, i.e, they acknowledged problems at one or two stations (ok, more than one or two when pressed) and hummed and hawed around. It didn't sound as if they were trying all that hard to solve the problem.

Typical TTC bullshit. This is their mentality in a nutshell:

"There's no problem!"
"Things will move along like they always have."
"No money, sorry!"

Back