News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

reminds me of my last encounter with a streetcar driver (I don't typically take a streetcar on a day to day basis). I was at St. Clair West, and couldn't determine whether or not the streetcar was eastbound or westbound due to the horrid TTC signage. I walked up to the streetcar to ask which direction it was travelling, and the driver looked at me like I was crazy and rudely blurted out "Eastbound" like I was some useless idiot or something. What nice customer service!

New funding proposal floated in latest TTC explainer video

April 1, 2014

The Toronto Transit Commission this morning released a new explainer video that describes a funding proposal that will see the TTC save some money � and inconvenience a few � but also secure new funding for both its operating and capital budgets. See the video here: http://youtu.be/FJtnK4HfzBY.

As chief customer officer, Chris Upfold, explains to head of communications, Brad Ross, the TTC proposes closing its quietest subway stations, like Chester Station, to save money on ongoing operating costs. The TTC will then sell the common space to meet pent-up community demand for things like billiard halls and Internet cafes. Then, most importantly, the TTC will sell the platforms for conversion into high density underground living space, garnering the transit agency "hundreds of dollars."

The TTC, of course, is not shuttering any of its subway stations. This is its second annual April Fool�s Day video that carries with it a more serious message for viewers. In 2013, etiquette and being considerate of others while riding the TTC was the theme of the "Personal Car" video.

This year's message is about funding. The TTC's 10-year capital budget does have a very real shortfall of close to $3 billion. Ridership growth of 2.5 per cent annually also means the need for greater subsidy to meet that increased demand. In short, North America's third largest transit system requires long-term, sustainable and predictable funding.

A task force made up of the TTC Chair, CEO and Chief Financial and Administration Officer, as well as the City Manager and CFO, will be making the case for a new funding deal for the TTC to Queen's Park and Ottawa later this year.

TTC starting work laying new rail on Queen's Quay east - at last!

TTC crews will begin working on Queens Quay overnight this week to move rail into position for the rebuild of the streetcar corridor.

Crews will mobilize to the rail storage location on Queens Quay East at Freeland Street tonight – April 1. Crews will work overnight to prepare the rail to be moved. On Wednesday, April 2, crews will move the first four strings of rail from the Freeland Street location to the newly poured concrete track bed just west of Lower Simcoe Street for installation. This work will occur overnight into Thursday morning.

Rail will continue to be moved in sections over the next couple of months as the rebuild of the TTC Streetcar corridor continues on Queens Quay

TTC starting work laying new rail on Queen's Quay east - at last!

TTC crews will begin working on Queens Quay overnight this week to move rail into position for the rebuild of the streetcar corridor.

Crews will mobilize to the rail storage location on Queens Quay East at Freeland Street tonight – April 1. Crews will work overnight to prepare the rail to be moved. On Wednesday, April 2, crews will move the first four strings of rail from the Freeland Street location to the newly poured concrete track bed just west of Lower Simcoe Street for installation. This work will occur overnight into Thursday morning.

Rail will continue to be moved in sections over the next couple of months as the rebuild of the TTC Streetcar corridor continues on Queens Quay

April Fools! It'll never be done! ;)

reminds me of my last encounter with a streetcar driver (I don't typically take a streetcar on a day to day basis). I was at St. Clair West, and couldn't determine whether or not the streetcar was eastbound or westbound due to the horrid TTC signage. I walked up to the streetcar to ask which direction it was travelling, and the driver looked at me like I was crazy and rudely blurted out "Eastbound" like I was some useless idiot or something. What nice customer service!

Hold on... is there something wrong with what he did? Useless idiot sounds about right to me :D lol

Were you standing under the sign or beside the pole that reads 'Eastbound' The streetcar loading area at St Clair is very clear, and well signed

^st. Clair West? There were two signs right beside each other saying "westbound" and "eastbound", with the streetcar sitting exactly between the two.

Closest image I can find online is this one, where the light is coming from in the roof on the far right side there are 2 signs saying westbound and eastbound right beside each other.

I had also just come up from the subway with the streetcar about to depart so I decided it would be quicker to simply ask instead of looking at the pole. is is a reasonable request, no different than someone asking what way is northbound or southbound on a subway platform.

65450121.jpg

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/65450121

Last edited:
Isn't it a little odd that our roll signs don't indicate direction on them. If you don't have moderate knowledge of Toronto's street layout, there's be no way to know which way the vehicle is going.

Isn't it a little odd that our roll signs don't indicate direction on them. If you don't have moderate knowledge of Toronto's street layout and can deduce the direction from the station it's heading to, there's be no way to know which way the vehicle is going.

when you are underground and the westbound and eastbound streetcars pull into the station pointing the same direction, not so much. This is a single track loop. (at least that is what it seemed to me for the 20 seconds I was in the station while walking to the streetcar)

That said, I was actually surprised at the size of the St. Clair West loop, there is a huge amount of space down there. Was it ever used as a bus loop as well or something? there seems to be way too much space given for the streetcars and it is paved unlike Spadina or the Union loop.

Last edited:

Back