News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I hoped on a train a few weeks ago on a T1 on the B&D line and I noticed most of the lighting was using LED tubes instead of the standard florescent tube. Are they doing some testing on that?

That's been on Line 2 for a while now. I've been on that car a few times. Not sure if they're expanding that to the rest of our T1 fleet. I haven't noticed any more T1s with the new lights so I doubt the TTC is installing them on the whole fleet.

I hoped on a train a few weeks ago on a T1 on the B&D line and I noticed most of the lighting was using LED tubes instead of the standard florescent tube. Are they doing some testing on that?

I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other, but they need to add a diffuser because the individual LEDs are visible. Looks weird.

I don't like the blue hue they give off. It feels unnatural.

LED's can have any colour temperature in the light spectrum. See link. They're probably testing the colour temperatures. Daylight (6,500K) settings helps a person to choose between navy blue and black socks at
home, while incandescent (2,700K) can cause mix-ups with coloured clothing.
TemperatureSource
1,700 KMatch flame
1,850 KCandle flame, sunset/sunrise
2,700–3,300 KIncandescent lamps
3,000 KSoft (or Warm) White compact fluorescent lamps
3,200 KStudio lamps, photofloods, etc.
3,350 KStudio "CP" light
4,100–4,150 KMoonlight[SUP][2][/SUP]
5,000 KHorizon daylight
5,000 Ktubular fluorescent lamps or cool white/daylight compact fluorescent lamps (CFL)
5,500–6,000 KVertical daylight, electronic flash
6,200 KXenon short-arc lamp[SUP][3][/SUP]
6,500 KDaylight, overcast
6,500–10,500 KLCD or CRT screen
15,000–27,000 KClear blue poleward sky
These temperatures are merely characteristic;
considerable variation may be present.

Last edited:
Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 141165 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Apr 10, 2014

Project: Transit Station,Subway, Bus Terminal Addition(s)

Description: Proposal to construct a 1 storey addition (ATC Satellite Room) as part of the bus shelter at the existing "Rosedale Subway Station"

The DRL is opening sooner than you think!

2dEiWk9.jpg

Focus on Your Existing Transit, Toronto

http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/toronto-existing-transit-infrastructure-subways-streetcars

- For the near future, residents of the multiplying glass towers in Toronto’s core — which has no new lines under construction and hasn’t gotten any new subways for half a century — will have to make the most of the city’s existing infrastructure. On the Yonge–University–Spadina Line, a new signaling system will become operational in 2016 and result in automatic trains, which would reduce the minimum service headway and increase total peak capacity by about a third. But the subways are already relatively efficient, and the biggest gains to make are in the city’s aging streetcar and commuter rail networks.

- Perhaps the biggest gains, though, are on GO Transit, the region’s suburban rail network. Currently, it operates like its counterparts in the U.S. — mainly as a system to funnel commuters into the heart of downtown, while those traveling elsewhere or outside of peak hours are an afterthought. But the system is edging toward rapid transit operation, loosely following the European and Japanese model of upgrading suburban trains so they run more frequently, like subways. On one count, the system is already ahead of those in the U.S. Rather than a labor-intensive fare system where conductors walk through the train and punch everyone’s ticket, it uses proof-of-payment.

- Toronto has traditionally lagged behind Vancouver when it comes to transit, but the city’s tremendous building boom is putting pressure on existing infrastructure. While Tory is not guaranteed to win the mayor’s race this year, his selection of the Downtown Relief Line as his number-one issue may force competitors to put forth their own transit plans. While the Downtown Relief Line is needed, perhaps some candidates will also see that making better use of Toronto’s existing transit infrastructure is the fastest way toward decongesting its hardening arteries.

800px-CLRVs_4049_and_4090_Eastbound_on_King_800_600_80.jpg

St George on the BD line has test panels up at the expansion joints in St George colours along the lines of St Andrew station which was done last year.

Have they done something with Queen Station as it didn't look right as I went by it tonight. Queen letter look like they been painted dark blue.

Most of the eastbound platforms have been rebuilt for the new cars with some looking like the platform is a little narrow. Only haft of the new westbound platform at Park Lawn has been rebuilt and not sure why it not 100% long since it doesn't interferer with construction vehicles getting to from the site beside it.

King was living up to expectation again today wit 3+ cars bunch up with big gaps between them up to 20 minutes long.

501 buses on the Lake Shore ran every 10 minutes on schedule based on my jumping on/off along the line checking things out.

priority_seating_blu.jpg

From the TTC website, at this link:

TTC enhancing accessibility with blue priority seating

The Toronto Transit Commission is enhancing accessibility with blue seats that clearly identify priority seating areas on its vehicles for persons with disabilities, the elderly and expectant mothers. Blue priority seating, being introduced first on the TTC’s new articulated buses, will be expanded to all TTC vehicles over the next two years. Making the TTC more accessible is a 2014 Customer Charter commitment.

In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, all TTC vehicles are equipped with priority seating designated for use by a person with a disability or a physical limitation requiring priority seating. Customers who do not comply with priority seating signs voluntarily may be asked to give up their seat by the Operator. Failure to comply may result in a fine of $235, plus applicable charges.

In addition to designated priority seating on vehicles, the TTC is making transit more accessible in 2014 by accommodating more Wheel-Trans trips (Wheel-Trans now operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week), implementing the support person’s identification card program, and introducing new low-floor streetcars, starting with the 510 Spadina route on August 31.

Not having time to read more than a few pages of this thread and search through a few others with the word Davisville in them, I have not yet found references to this building being built on the west side of Yonge just south of the station:

IMG_3399.jpg

Anyone know what the TTC is putting in here?

Attachments

• IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 404
Not having time to read more than a few pages of this thread and search through a few others with the word Davisville in them, I have not yet found references to this building being built on the west side of Yonge just south of the station:

Anyone know what the TTC is putting in here?
Yup its for ATC systems electrical housing. IIRC Steve Munro wrote like a paragraph on in a little ways back and Brad Ross had mentioned it.

Back