News   Jun 25, 2024
 462     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 598     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     3 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

TransitBart really said it best. It is absurd that the TTC hasn't dedicated certain gates for entry or exit only, specifically at busier stations/entrances.

I also feel it was a big mistake not to retain the collectors booth at certain busy downtown stations. Tourist-heavy stations like Dundas and Union would've certainly benefited from this approach.

I assume the roving station attendants will have a special Presto card/key to open a gate under special circumstances, eg. someone getting on the wrong platform.

I also feel it was a big mistake not to retain the collectors booth at certain busy downtown stations. Tourist-heavy stations like Dundas and Union would've certainly benefited from this approach.
The collector booths have not gone anywhere (yet anyway) as the TTC still uses cash and tickets. It is the assumption around here that once there are no Collectors to sit in them they will go (or be reduced in size) but I have seen no TTC announcements about what they plan. (Probably will cover them with out-of-date hand-written signage). I agree that in many stations it would be a good location for a roving customer service attendant to have a seat and a pile of maps etc.

I’ve heard that it isn’t possible to have dedicated in/out gates. It was probably false but you never know with the TTC.

It's obviously possible, likely an option that the TTC did not think to order or configure.

The collector booths have not gone anywhere (yet anyway) as the TTC still uses cash and tickets. It is the assumption around here that once there are no Collectors to sit in them they will go (or be reduced in size) but I have seen no TTC announcements about what they plan. (Probably will cover them with out-of-date hand-written signage). I agree that in many stations it would be a good location for a roving customer service attendant to have a seat and a pile of maps etc.

Byford's plan was to have uniformed customer service attendants available at entrances to answer any questions and help with PRESTO loading and use. I don't think they're any good in enclosed glass boxes.

New stations on Line 1 still have enclosed booths but I was told that they were staff rooms, and won't be used as info booths. This entrance backs that up. Only PRESTO gates, no toll booth.
34112814144_1bd858ec98_b.jpg

Photo: @Marcanadian

I’ve heard that it isn’t possible to have dedicated in/out gates. It was probably false but you never know with the TTC.

Highly, highly doubt that - especially when there are indicators on the fare gate for direction allowed and blocked.

See brochure: https://www.scheidt-bachmann.de/fil...n-systems/FareGo/Flyer_FareGo_Gate_PG40_E.pdf

Too bad the TTC model didn't seem to have a barcode scanner slot - one can only imagine how much simpler it would be to handle single-trips via printed tickets. But of course Presto didn't have that functionality...

the continuing need to have metropass gates doesn't help either

At least that's a temporary issue.

Speaking of fare gates - what GO needs isn't the current stupidly arranged wall readers with awkward ergonomics , but a row of these readers across paid areas access corridors.

https://www.scheidt-bachmann.de/fil...ystems/FareGo/Flyer_FareGo_Val_SV50_EN_01.pdf

AoD

Last edited:
This is on TTC website (new, I think). It does not say that the booths will actually be removed (and replaced with more gates?) but ..

New Customer Service Agents at TTC stations
As part of the ongoing modernization and implementation of PRESTO across the system, the TTC is introducing a new Customer Service Agent role. The collector booths you’re familiar with on the TTC today will be closed over the course of the next year.

Starting Sunday, December 17, Customer Service Agents will be in all stations on the Line 1 extension to York Region, and at Sheppard West and Wilson stations. And next year, you’ll start seeing Customer Service Agents at more and more stations throughout the system.

If there is no collector booth, how do I pay my fare?
  • PRESTO: Simply tap your PRESTO card at one of the modern, paddle-style fare gates.
  • Tickets, tokens and Metropasses: You can pay using any of these, but you won’t be able to purchase these fare types at any of the new Line 1 extension stations.
  • Cash: You can pay with cash, but be sure to have exact fare handy.
You will be able to buy and load your PRESTO card at each station.

Who do I speak to if I need help or have a question?
A Customer Service Agent would be pleased to help you answer your question or direct you to where you purchase and pay your fare.

Look for someone in a TTC uniform beside the fare gates and they would be more than happy to assist you.

What if I need help right away or have an emergency?
In an emergency, go to the Passenger Assistance Intercom located beside the fare gates and push the button to speak with someone immediately.

Highly, highly doubt that - especially when there are indicators on the fare gate for direction allowed and blocked.

See brochure: https://www.scheidt-bachmann.de/fil...n-systems/FareGo/Flyer_FareGo_Gate_PG40_E.pdf

Too bad the TTC model didn't seem to have a barcode scanner slot - one can only imagine how much simpler it would be to handle single-trips via printed tickets. But of course Presto didn't have that functionality...
AoD
And of course, that's not even true, because OC Transpo is using the same fare gates, with a barcode ticket option and scanner.

This one is all on the TTC, similar to other issues with PRESTO on the TTC.

And of course, that's not even true, because OC Transpo is using the same fare gates, with a barcode ticket option and scanner.

This one is all on the TTC, similar to other issues with PRESTO on the TTC.

They are supposed to be going to RFID paper tickets for single rides, and I would hope RFID transfers from buses and streetcars as well. These would work on the new gates.

out of curiosity do OC faregates show balance remaining for presto cards or have they also been banned in fear of lobbyist lawsuits?

Their bus readers and the previous O-Train tap devices did, as I recall, can't imagine why the faregates would be odd ones out by not showing it.

They are supposed to be going to RFID paper tickets for single rides, and I would hope RFID transfers from buses and streetcars as well. These would work on the new gates.

The cost of RFID disposable tickets are fairly cheap too. Around $0.10 per ticket (plus dispensing costs). The TTC can charge "cash" fares for a disposable ticket and recoup all the costs plus some.

I see other cities offer a tourist card. Metro plus certain attractions/museums (24/48/72 hour options). Looking forward to seeing what tourists options will be offered

I saw the weirdest thing today at Sheppard-Yonge. Two of the automatic entrances are under construction and have temporary collector boxes. I walked in at one of them and there was an employee in the red information vest. He wasn't collecting fares; he was telling people that there was no collector on duty and they could just walk in for free because the fare box was locked up.

Back