News   Jun 14, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 787     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

Every Presto machine is a transfer machine.
Not really. The system is currently programmed so that you can't tap into the same station twice, so tapping on the wrong side and then switching sides would result in a double fare.

Not really. The system is currently programmed so that you can't tap into the same station twice, so tapping on the wrong side and then switching sides would result in a double fare.

Which is why W. K. Lis said (which I thought you were responding to):

Hopefully, the programmers have programmed the faregates for just such an occurrence, and will accept the "transfer" on the other side.

Which is why W. K. Lis said (which I thought you were responding to):

One would not be able to enter twice (or more) on the same side platform. However, one should be able to enter on one side and then the other. Don't know the time limit. That's something the powers-that-be should answer.

One would not be able to enter twice (or more) on the same side platform. However, one should be able to enter on one side and then the other. Don't know the time limit. That's something the powers-that-be should answer.

I doubt they would have thought of that.

If this case I would take the train to the next station and double back.

I doubt they would have thought of that.

If this case I would take the train to the next station and double back.
When a tourist in other countries, even with no language in common, it's been easy enough to explain to the staff attending the automated gates that one went to the wrong platform, and needed to go the other way.

St. Andrew's next:

St Andrew Station closing this weekend for fare gate construction

November 8, 2017

St Andrew Station will be closing this weekend from 10 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10 until 6 a.m. Mon., Nov. 13 for fare gate construction. This closure is necessary to complete the floor work that cannot be done when the station is open.

During the closure, subway trains will pass through the station without stopping. Customers will need to use Osgoode or Union stations to access King St., or King Station to access the 504 or 514 Cherry streetcar routes.

The new modern, paddle-style gates are equipped with PRESTO readers and improve customer flow by providing an unobstructed path into and out of stations. The new gates are key to the TTC's modernization plans. The gates are in place at 46 stations and 78 entrances today.

Over the coming weeks, College, Osgoode and Queen's Park stations will close early or over a weekend for fare gate construction, as follows:

College Station: early closure - at 10 p.m. on Nov. 14, 15, 16 and 20.
Osgoode Station: weekend closure from Fri., Dec. 1 at 10 p.m. until 6 a.m. Mon., Dec. 4.
Queen's Park Station: early closure at 10 p.m. on Dec. 6, 7, 11 and 12.

The full fare gate construction schedule is available at ttc.ca and a video (
) explaining the next wave of fare gate construction is posted on the TTC's YouTube channel. Station specific fact sheets are also posted at ttc.ca. During closures, customer service ambassadors will be in place to assist customers with directions and information.

When the fare gate installation is complete next spring, every TTC subway station and entrance will have new gates and accept PRESTO. All TTC buses and streetcars accept PRESTO today.​

Just went through College Station and noticed that the turnstiles have been ripped out!

And the top of the escalators from the southbound platforms is literally hemmed in by the temporary drywall. It's going to be even more of a mess than Dundas at AM rush, but it will be a huge improvement once it's all said and done,

AoD

The progress at King Scotia Plaza is glacial and nonexistent at Commerce Court. Commerce Court (my preferred entrance when not paying with Presto) will be interesting as it sounds like the Collector booths are going. Depending on where the gates are located there could be quite a bit of unused floor space. Scotia Plaza is frustrating - passenger flow borked with 50% of entry/exit path gone, and because of drywalled in construction space no indication of how it is going.

Back