News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 908     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 569     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

The progress at King Scotia Plaza is glacial and nonexistent at Commerce Court. Commerce Court (my preferred entrance when not paying with Presto) will be interesting as it sounds like the Collector booths are going. Depending on where the gates are located there could be quite a bit of unused floor space. Scotia Plaza is frustrating - passenger flow borked with 50% of entry/exit path gone, and because of drywalled in construction space no indication of how it is going.
The progress at the Commerce Court entrance is 'glacial' because it has yet to start. The TTC announced "TTC will also be replacing the turnstiles at the Commerce Court entrance at a later date." The collector booth there is not staffed all the time and in fact ALL collector booths will be removed (eventually). That said, it would be good to know when the work at the main entrance will be finished, unlike the announcements for some stations the one for King has no 'end date". See:
http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Construction/PRESTO_construction.jsp

The progress at the Commerce Court entrance is 'glacial' because it has yet to start. The TTC announced "TTC will also be replacing the turnstiles at the Commerce Court entrance at a later date." The collector booth there is not staffed all the time and in fact ALL collector booths will be removed (eventually). That said, it would be good to know when the work at the main entrance will be finished, unlike the announcements for some stations the one for King has no 'end date". See:
http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Construction/PRESTO_construction.jsp
I could have sworn I read recently that Commerce Court was being done soon. If they could at least put a temp Presto tap in PM rush it would be something. Nevertheless, the start date was now two months ago and apart from demo of the old gates there is little progress to be seen. I’m sure there are all sorts of plausible reasons but my commute is to Coxwell where works completion is also sorely needed.

Nov 17
Islington
24642160828_76671fa4a0_b.jpg

24642161338_d4baf53679_b.jpg

24642161718_803b8770d2_b.jpg

24642162278_624ddd2a5c_b.jpg

Spadina
24642160448_737cdf7aa0_b.jpg

I noticed that the new gates at Sherbourne have a wide yellow strip on them across the bottom of the glass, and a yellow sign on the top of the gates saying don't push. I guess this is something that may be expanded to other stations.

I noticed that the new gates at Sherbourne have a wide yellow strip on them across the bottom of the glass, and a yellow sign on the top of the gates saying don't push. I guess this is something that may be expanded to other stations.

Bay station has this as well. I was wondering if they were doing that on the earlier batch of fare gates, which seemed to be slower to open. I have nothing at all to back that up, though.

Fare gate installation has commenced at the Sheppard-Yonge Hullmark entrance.

IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0614.JPG

Photos taken on Friday.

Attachments

• IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 279
It's supposed to take three months ("until mid-March"), which I really don't understand. Shouldn't this be one of the faster entrances since it's very new?
Being new ought to mean they actually know where all the conduits are buried (which is not always the case with 50-year old stations) but not that there ARE conduits etc going to right locations or that there is enough power. The new gates need much more 'stuff' than the old ones so it is not just a matter of unplugging the old set, plugging in the new and fixing a few floor tiles.

Being new ought to mean they actually know where all the conduits are buried (which is not always the case with 50-year old stations) but not that there ARE conduits etc going to right locations or that there is enough power. The new gates need much more 'stuff' than the old ones so it is not just a matter of unplugging the old set, plugging in the new and fixing a few floor tiles.

Why is it taking so long though? It seems like they usually take 6-8 weeks, not 3+ months. The other entrance to the station (Sheppard West) is supposedly opening "early next February"

Last edited:
Both sides of the King Scotia Plaza gates are live, and thank goodness for that as things were *very* congested when only half were. Passenger flow is still a bit weird but it’s hard to improve it given the small size of the fare paid zone and that the non-paid area sees some foot traffic from people heading into/out of the PATH (which could be increased if King Street Pilot continues to attract net extra riders). The second set of gates were lit up for several days while behind mesh barriers presumably awaiting some final commissioning task.

Both sides of the King Scotia Plaza gates are live, and thank goodness for that as things were *very* congested when only half were. Passenger flow is still a bit weird but it’s hard to improve it given the small size of the fare paid zone and that the non-paid area sees some foot traffic from people heading into/out of the PATH (which could be increased if King Street Pilot continues to attract net extra riders). The second set of gates were lit up for several days while behind mesh barriers presumably awaiting some final commissioning task.
I assume that once the TTC moves to 100% PRESTO and phases out the Collectors that the space occupied by the ticket booths will be available to use for extra fare gates. King is pretty tight and really no other way to expand - though the Colbourne Street entrance will be getting the elevator - work starts in 2018 - so that may increase its usage.

I assume that once the TTC moves to 100% PRESTO and phases out the Collectors that the space occupied by the ticket booths will be available to use for extra fare gates. King is pretty tight and really no other way to expand - though the Colbourne Street entrance will be getting the elevator - work starts in 2018 - so that may increase its usage.

What I am not sure why TTC seems to be allergic to having dedicated in and out gates at some stations. The cross flow is a mess.

AoD

Reactions: DSC
What I am not sure why TTC seems to be allergic to having dedicated in and out gates at some stations. The cross flow is a mess.

AoD
I’ve heard that it isn’t possible to have dedicated in/out gates. It was probably false but you never know with the TTC.

Union Station
Fare gate construction will be conducted in two phases at Union Station.

Phase 1 - December 6 to March 2018
Brookfield east entrance

• Customers can enter and exit the station through a temporary station collector aisle.
West and north exits
Portion of north fare line

• Customers can visit one of the other collector booths at the station to purchase fares. A temporary collector aisle will be available for customer entry.
Phase 2 - March 2018 to June 2018
South fare line

• Customers can enter the station through the collector booth aisle or temporary station collector aisle at the south fare line.
  • Customers can also enter the station through the Brookfield automatic entrance or the west entrance/exit.
Remaining portion of north fare line
  • The collector booth will be open for sales.
Brookfield Rotunda
To purchase a PRESTO card visit the Gateway Newstand in Union Station.

I’ve heard that it isn’t possible to have dedicated in/out gates. It was probably false but you never know with the TTC.
So in 2017 - modern German engineered fare gate machinery can not be set up to display a red “X” all the time or a green arrow all the time with the corresponding action. Gate opens if you approach a green arrow. Gate beeps if you approach a red X.

Someone needs to pull their head from their fundament. It is ludicrous to believe that the gates don’t support it, and people at higher pay grades than I with more knowledge about “turbulent flow” (look it up) know that setting up the ten on the left to display a constant green arrow and the ten on the right with a constant red “X” is a far more efficient manner than letting people flow where they will.

Back