News   Jun 27, 2024
 252     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 489     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 302     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Kind of a shame that David Miller couldn't be on hand for this. It's one his greatest accomplishments and will further cement his impressive legacy.

Here is my video of the streetcar unveiling.

Notice how Ford wasn't there? I figured he'd have the nerve to show up and then say it was all because of his hard work.

I don't think it is crucial for the mayor to be present for two new streetcars to be put in service. I love the new streetcars, but let's not pretend they are some sort of revolutionary game changer. It is not a new transit line and it will provide no noticeable improvement to our transit problems. They will travel with the same speed, cover the same route, with a bit more capacity and A/C - that's about it. Their significance has been blown out of proportion here.

However does anyone notice that they move really slow around curves (in the tunnel, and around Spadina Circle)? Maybe it's just me, but the old ones seemed faster in those areas.

I don't think you can conclude much from one ride, as different operators have different driving styles (not to mention getting used to the new cars). On the old cars, some operators fly around curves and others crawl. After 4 years of daily 510 riding I got to know who the slowpokes were.

I don't think you can conclude much from one ride, as different operators have different driving styles (not to mention getting used to the new cars). On the old cars, some operators fly around curves and others crawl. After 4 years of daily 510 riding I got to know who the slowpokes were.

I did two rides that day (with a break in between). But I have been in the same streetcar twice.

All the drivers will be on a learning curb for sometime as they get use to having riders on the car as well dealing with traffic all the time. This includes the circle and else where.

The driver I had for 4403 & 4400 first round trip on them were better than my home ride home on 4400 by a different driver.

With the trainers looking over the driver shoulders for some time, some of those old bad drivers may improved their ability to operate the cars over the current fleet. Time will tell if this is true, but not holding my breath. There will always be slowpokes, even for the new cars.

A yellow stop request "clothesline".
Z5KzcJ9.jpg

A red stop request button.
H9pDBEi.jpg

A yellow emergency strip.
18123_400.jpeg

A tourist (from Boston) who's used to this. From link:
4_040_2.jpg

You see a problem?

I think the North American transit authorities should get together to settle on a colour scheme for "stop requests", "emergencies", "ramp deployment", "open door", etc.

I bet that Bostonians who visit the TTC for their first time would get in so much trouble that is not their fault.

Some Brampton buses have those yellow strips too...of course some have stop buttons too and some have yellow pull cords too.

That said, if you did not know how to stop a bus/streetcar, would you not just ask someone? Or watch what people a few stops earlier are doing?

Just had to ruin the footage by adding a cheesy dance beat eh?

Do you think there might be a reason for that? Like maybe the TTC was playing copyrighted music at the station and I had to find some way to cover it? As for the music, I get complaints when I use classical, Jazz or no music at all, so I guess that just comes with the territory.

Do you realize Youtube puts a lot of copyright restrictions on its partners? I have a very limited supply of Royalty Free music, so until I can find some new music that Youtube won't bust my ass over, people can just turn off the sound while watching my videos.

Now, any complaints about the camera work? lol

Kind of a shame that David Miller couldn't be on hand for this. It's one his greatest accomplishments and will further cement his impressive legacy.

Most cities set up (or start to set up) reserve funds when they decide to have a large project (such as streetcars and new subway cars). But not David Miller. Toronto had (and I think still has) one of the lowest reverse funds per capita in the GTA.

http://www.toronto.ca/budget2011/2011_budget_summary/pdf/fcp/reserves.pdf

Basically, David Miller was a good politician. Promised a lot and then was able to high tail it out of the city before he had to pay for his promises.

So, yes. Thank David Miller for signing the contract. But Rob Ford (and Rob Ford's successor) are left with these huge captial expeneses and no plan given to them by David Miller to pay for it (Toronto's portion that is).

(personally I think that the politician who promises the expenditure should have a plan to actually pay for it...via these reserve funds or increased reserve funds)

Do you think there might be a reason for that? Like maybe the TTC was playing copyrighted music at the station and I had to find some way to cover it? As for the music, I get complaints when I use classical, Jazz or no music at all, so I guess that just comes with the territory.

Do you realize Youtube puts a lot of copyright restrictions on its partners? I have a very limited supply of Royalty Free music, so until I can find some new music that Youtube won't bust my **** over, people can just turn off the sound while watching my videos.

Now, any complaints about the camera work? lol
Did you try http://incompetech.com?

Finally got around to riding the new streetcar today.

Very nice, smooth, feels very similar to the TRs.

The announcer says "510-spadina" correctly, than says "sussex-Spadeena". The guy standing in front of me was quite enjoying himself with the computers inability to pronounce spadina consistently.

POP seemed to be fairly clearly understood by passengers from what I can tell.

There were a good 10-15 people waiting at Spadina specifically for the new streetcar, which was surprising given how its been in operation for a few days now. Got there around 5:15, streetcar came around 5:30. Considering how far spaced apart they are, I got rather lucky with the wait.

At least 1/2 of the drivers on Spadina were glancing at it, there is still a ton of interest in the new streetcar. A lady waiting for the streetcar going the other way filmed it.

Considering it was the middle of rush hour, it was surprisingly not that busy. Mind you it was also going southbound. I was on 4403 and 4400 passed the other way as we were entering the spadina circle north of College and 4400 was completely packed.

It felt surprisingly like a subway with the length of it, it feels almost nothing like the existing CLRVs and ALRVs. The big windows and low floors completely change the experience.

Back