News   Jun 27, 2024
 249     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 487     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 300     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Looks like they blocked off the street for that test.
They did indeed. I walked past one evening. They coned off every sidestreet, parked vehicles in every laneway, and must have had 40-50 police and security people alone. When someone walked across the street in the middle, they went into emergency breaking and brought the entire thing to a stop.

It was quite an organized event.

I mean curb cuts and I agree they are fairly cheap to make BUT they are making MANY of them so that wheelchairs etc can reach all doors of the new streetcars. For locations take a look at the TO-InView website (click on TTC work). See: http://map.toronto.ca/maps/map.jsp?app=TO_INview2013
Described as:
"Project: CWP & Curb cuts
On Street: QUEEN ST E
Project Description: Installation of new curb cuts including sidewalk and curb modifications to facilitate new accessible LRT vehicles. In addition, installation of ticket vending machines on streetcar routes. "

Judging by the maps they're not taking out any stops at all. So much for taking input.

Sorry, what I meant to say is that the diagram I posted above would show you what sort of traffic moves are permissible in that instance. I wouldn't change any lane configurations, I'd just hang electronic signs like these next to traffic lights telling motorists what they can't do:

So, based on the diagram, northbound traffic would get a "Green/No-Right Turn" and southbound traffic would get a "Green/No-Left Turn". Eastbound/Westbound traffic would get a red with the usual traffic laws applying. The no right on red for the Westbound traffic is to allow pedestrians to cross safely to/from the streetcar.

This does not solve the problem. Vehicles who that are prevented from turning by these changeable signs block other traffic just as they would with separate signals. Good luck selling such an inefficient concept to the traffic department. They refuse to even implement transit priority, which has a fairly minor negative impact on motorists.

They did indeed. I walked past one evening. They coned off every sidestreet, parked vehicles in every laneway, and must have had 40-50 police and security people alone. When someone walked across the street in the middle, they went into emergency breaking and brought the entire thing to a stop.

It was quite an organized event.

Why didn't they just use the Queensway ROW?

Presumably because it's not straight. Does it have the new catenary up to handle a pantograph?

The tracks are in bad shape with slow orders. The overhead hasn't been converted yet. They are also doing work at at Humber loop.

Having tracks being straight hasn't anything to do with testing since these cars will have to stop on these tracks as well on curbs on a dime.

Having tracks being straight hasn't anything to do with testing since these cars will have to stop on these tracks as well on curbs on a dime.
They were doing speed trials to hit maximum speed and then break with both pole and pantograph, and loaded and unloaded. Surely they'd hit a faster speed on a straight track.

They were doing speed trials to hit maximum speed and then break with both pole and pantograph, and loaded and unloaded. Surely they'd hit a faster speed on a straight track.

I felt no different speed wise on LRT lines last year that were not 100% straight as well on short curbs. Supper curves can take the same speed as a straight track.

If an LRV has to stop on a dime, it has to be able to do so regardless if the track is straight or not. Since they were doing a lot of backward running, a straight track was the way to go for the test.

Was under the weather the week of the testing and never made it to the testing like I wanted to do.

I may have missed this as I glanced over the conversation about far-side boarding, but if a streetcar goes through an intersection and stops to pick-up/let off passengers, won't all the cars behind following block the intersection as the light turns red as they wait for the streetcar doors to close?

Of course, common sense dictates that a driver wouldn't follow a streetcar into the intersection, but 1) This is Toronto drivers we are talking about, and 2) if the streetcar doesn't stop, you're just holding up traffic longer than it already is.

I may have missed this as I glanced over the conversation about far-side boarding, but if a streetcar goes through an intersection and stops to pick-up/let off passengers, won't all the cars behind following block the intersection as the light turns red as they wait for the streetcar doors to close?
Presumably that's exactly what would happen.

Which is why I'd think there are no plans to convert the exsiting stops to far-sided boarding in mixed traffic. At least not that I'm aware of. What have you seen that leads you to this question?

+1

I think Toronto is the only city I've been to that allows request stops for streetcars. Every other city has designated stops and vehicles stop there regardless.

On Tramlink in London you have to request stops. If nobody pushes the button and nobody's on the platform, it doesn't stop. Same with the Sheffield Supertram, apparently. Of course, on a well-used system with well-spaced stops, this won't happen very often. Still, at way-off-peak times, it allows the service to be much quicker. On the 504 there have been times late at night when I have flown almost non-stop up Roncesvalles from Queen to Bloor. What possible purpose would be served by making the streetcar stop and open the doors at each stop??

Of course, common sense dictates that a driver wouldn't follow a streetcar into the intersection, but 1) This is Toronto drivers we are talking about, and 2) if the streetcar doesn't stop, you're just holding up traffic longer than it already is.

Then there are the idiot drivers who can see that they would not make it across an intersection, but then end up on a red light blocking the flow to their right and left. Including the crosswalks as well.

The whole point of far-side stops is to allow streetcars to control the traffic signals as they pass through. It's just a matter of turning the light red as the streetcar passes through.

Also, the streetcars don't have to stop directly beside the intersection with no space or buffer inbetween.

Back