News   Jul 15, 2024
 728     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 886     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 626     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

The whole point of far-side stops is to allow streetcars to control the traffic signals as they pass through. It's just a matter of turning the light red as the streetcar passes through.

Also, the streetcars don't have to stop directly beside the intersection with no space or buffer inbetween.

So how far do you propose forcing passengers to walk to make a transfer, exactly?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

On Tramlink in London you have to request stops. If nobody pushes the button and nobody's on the platform, it doesn't stop. Same with the Sheffield Supertram, apparently. Of course, on a well-used system with well-spaced stops, this won't happen very often. Still, at way-off-peak times, it allows the service to be much quicker. On the 504 there have been times late at night when I have flown almost non-stop up Roncesvalles from Queen to Bloor. What possible purpose would be served by making the streetcar stop and open the doors at each stop??

Toronto doesn't do it but other places do and since the Toronto transit is always wrong... Don't bother pointing out there are many scenarios where no stops will be made for several blocks. It was done so a few pages ago and ignored.

For the next TTC meeting on November 18, 2013, they will be discussing the 2014-2023 TTC Capital Budget. Download the PDF from this link.

There is this interesting item:

60 New LRVs (-$353 million): The TTC is replacing the entire streetcar fleet under the 204 LRV order. Ridership to date and future expectations are such that an additional 60 LRVs are needed to accommodate growth. Since these entire fleet replacements happen once a generation (a large order is needed to obtain a cost-effective price), it is cost-effective to add these 60 vehicles to the existing order to take advantage of the volume pricing.

The decision has to be decided by 2014. The order would be completed by 2021.

Last edited:
yay! I had a feeling this would be coming, now lets see how Ford takes it.

iva8tiT.jpg

This is a great opportunity to see the new streetcar.

The Toronto Transit Commission is holding an open house at its historic Harvey Shop facility on Saturday, November 23 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. All proceeds from the open house will go to the United Way.

Located at the TTC’s Hillcrest Complex, 1138 Bathurst Street, Harvey Shop is the major maintenance facility for the streetcar fleet and component manufacturer for subway cars and buses.

Visitors to the Harvey Shop open house can climb aboard the vintage PCC and Peter Witt streetcars, as well as the new low-floor accessible streetcar, the new 60-foot accessible articulated bus and the TTC Command bus. Volunteers will be on hand to provide a guided tour.

Admission is $5 for adults and $2 for children.

http://www.ttc.ca/News/2013/November/1119_Harvey_Shop.jsp

Last edited:
The TTC board okayed the capital & operating budget. The capital budget includes the purchase option for 60 additional Bombardier Flexity Outlook streetcars.

HOWEVER! The budgets have to be okayed by city council. That means that the Ford brothers will filibuster for cuts just about everywhere, including their favourite pet-peeve, streetcars.

Ford brothers no longer have control, and have very, very little influence on policy. council has finally returned to sanity after 3 years of craziness.

Ford brothers no longer have control, and have very, very little influence on policy. council has finally returned to sanity after 3 years of craziness.

I wouldn't say that council returned to sanity, considering their idiotic transit debates, or their decision to scrap the Jarvis bike lanes and the plastic bag fee. Ford's influence is limited to one vote.

I wouldn't say that council returned to sanity, considering their idiotic transit debates, or their decision to scrap the Jarvis bike lanes and the plastic bag fee. Ford's influence is limited to one vote.

Two (the Ford BROTHERS). However, expect Rob to prolong the debate with unchecked references, no facts, and sound bites.

The TTC board okayed the capital & operating budget. The capital budget includes the purchase option for 60 additional Bombardier Flexity Outlook streetcars.
Approved yes, but not funded. As far as I understand it, the funding vote comes up again at TTC next year sometime, after which they can make the order, assuming the city magically finds the money somewhere.

If you got through the line items, there's also 15 more cars mentioned for various Waterfront streetcar lines (Cherry, Lakeshore East, Bremner I think ... I'd go into details, but my increasingly flakey Adobe Reader seems to crash every time I try and open it).

I'm not sure if this 15 is in addition to the 204+60 to make 279, or if they are double counting somewhere, and it's the funding for 15 of the 204, or 15 of the 60.

Back