News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 655     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I think this a necessity as a DRL will probably be decades away and the new fleet will not increase capacity as the trains are longer than the current articulates there will also be fewer of them and with the downtown population soaring they will be desperately needed.

Approved yes, but not funded. As far as I understand it, the funding vote comes up again at TTC next year sometime, after which they can make the order, assuming the city magically finds the money somewhere.

If you got through the line items, there's also 15 more cars mentioned for various Waterfront streetcar lines (Cherry, Lakeshore East, Bremner I think ... I'd go into details, but my increasingly flakey Adobe Reader seems to crash every time I try and open it).

I'm not sure if this 15 is in addition to the 204+60 to make 279, or if they are double counting somewhere, and it's the funding for 15 of the 204, or 15 of the 60.

15 would be from the 60 new ones.

You think the Bremner line will be built by 2021?

I sure don't see it at all if at all. As for Lake Shore E, not on the books nor in the 2005 EA Transit Master Plan for the Portland area since TTC removed it from the plans that were approved by TTC Commission and City council before sent for final approval. I think you meant Queens Quay E that is approved and waiting funding.

TTC has updated the signs at Union saying the loop will open in July 2014 now.

15 would be from the 60 new ones.

I sure don't see it at all if at all. As for Lake Shore E, not on the books nor in the 2005 EA Transit Master Plan for the Portland area since TTC removed it from the plans that were approved by TTC Commission and City council before sent for final approval. I think you meant Queens Quay E that is approved and waiting funding.

TTC has updated the signs at Union saying the loop will open in July 2014 now.

Yeah, if Bremner is somehow back on the radar as an immediate project (it would need to be starting EA soon if they wanted it finished by 2021), this is the first I've heard about it. Not that I don't think it's a good thing though. I've always had my doubts that the Queen's Quay Streetcar would be able to handle the demand from all of those new condos going up around Lake Shore West.

Yeah, if Bremner is somehow back on the radar as an immediate project (it would need to be starting EA soon if they wanted it finished by 2021), this is the first I've heard about it. Not that I don't think it's a good thing though. I've always had my doubts that the Queen's Quay Streetcar would be able to handle the demand from all of those new condos going up around Lake Shore West.

The Bremmer Line is part of the Western Waterfront expansion that is DOA as it will cause a nightmare for operation for Union Loop. The line would go under the Air Canada Centre and connect with the Bay Line. The tunnel under the ACC is already built with the portal being west of ACC.

The Owner of City Place has never seen a need for a line along Bremmer and were force to build the road for it. They said most people would walk to the downtown area and use one of the lines around the area on poor days during the winter. Even Fort York oppressed the plan as it would have an impact on it and the land west of it.

There was an EA for it, but has die since the there is another EA that was done between the Humber Bay and the CNE that kill most of what TTC was looking at in the first place. Support most of the new EA for transit, but not going backup to the Queensway to deal with Humber Loop. The line should stay 100% over the Humber River that will require a new bridge and connect with the existing tracks. Prefer the old 1990's EA plan of running the line along the Lake Shore around the CNE as it would open up the public domain land as well service Ontario Place better.

As for the Park Lawn Area, TTC will have to run service every 5 minute down from the current 14 to deal with the ridership.

One of the big mistake for this area is GO not relocating the Mimico Station here as plan as well TTC building the loop there, not where it going to go.

Since there is no money for this project now and at the bottom of the list, it will be late 2020's or earlier 30's before this plan surface again.

As for Queens Quay E, the current plans by TTC for expanding Union Station Loop will never support the demand of both lines and only good for today demand. We are talking at over 12,000 riders at peak time. The QQE line will be able to service the area and why the Cherry St line needs to go south into the Portland area as plan.

Who knows ... the real issue is Union Station. If nothing is done there ... and it appears in no ones budget these days, then nothing happens on Bremner. TTC has $400+ million in the post-2023 for the station upgrades and track on Queens Quay

I think you meant Queens Quay E that is approved and waiting funding.
As I mentioned, I couldn't open the PDF. Now that I can, I see it's referred to as the East Bayfront Streetcar Line. That's what it is referred to last year as well - http://www.toronto.ca/budget2013/pdf/cap13_bn_bayfront_streetcar.pdf

The 3 lines are:

East Bayfront Streetcar Line - 6 cars - bulk of spending in 2018 (moved from 2017)
West Donlands Streetcar Line - 5 cars - ah ... this is actually deleted from the budget
Bremner Blvd Streetcar Line - 4 cars - bulk of spending in 2019 (moved from 2019)

So 10 cars then. I expect that with the order for 60 new cars, these will just vanish.

pictures I took today:

o4afHPt.jpg

rqSLIwM.jpg

dE4PPic.jpg

Uh84Hps.jpg

Bike Racks:

RPdkHts.jpg

Backrest for someone with a stroller:

IIs0Dew.jpg

l1wg32r.jpg

They are huge, really huge. Compared to a CLRV, or even an ALRV, they seem massive. there is an incredibly different feel to them than the current streetcars. the current ones and the PCCs have a similar feel, but these feel very different. much nicer, and much more comfortable of an environment.

and some old streetcar pics, and some of the mobile command centre since I don't know where to put them otherwise:

Command Centre coach bus:

znb5n4U.jpg

WP2LSCL.jpg

Aak8rLk.jpg

Old 1951 PCC streetcar:

bD7Z40t.jpg

Interior of the old (1923!) Peter Witt, complete with retro advertising:

2jseEHn.jpg

GGqNsrV.jpg

That Command Centre coach bus can be converted to an extra-large RV!

It would be interesting to see a Peter Witt, a PCC, a CLRV, an ALRV, and a Flexity beside each other in chronological order.

If plans remain the same in 2014 as original plan, you will when the new cars official go into service on 510 to replace the CLRV's. The only different to what you want if the plan remain as plan, is there has to be a CLRV in front of the Witt for safety reason. It possible a TTC vehicle maybe in front in place of the CLRV like they did on St Clair this year.

That Command Centre coach bus can be converted to an extra-large RV!

It would be interesting to see a Peter Witt, a PCC, a CLRV, an ALRV, and a Flexity beside each other in chronological order.

That's what it is, a 1998 RV that they bought used in 2002 and converted to a command centre by ripping out the bunk beds and replacing them with desks.

What do they use the mobile command centre for?
According to the purchase documents:

See - https://spadina.ttc.ca/About_the_TT...05/Jun_22_2005/Other/Replacement_Command_.jsp

The document says it "is used as an emergency response and activity center by various staff disciplines in instances requiring specific site responses, especially in emergency situations."

Is also says that "Emergencies such as the Russell Hill Subway Accident, the Christie Street, Greenwood Wye and Old Mill fires required such equipment. On other occasions such as emergency response simulations, and special events, a central Command unit is extremely useful and effective."

During the recent new streetcar speed trials overnight on Queen East, it was on-scene. Given they were there for hours, I'd think at a minimum the washroom facilities would have been of use.

Back