News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 767     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Proof. Here is TTC 4422 this afternoon, Tuesday, July 12th, 2016,
IMG_8938.JPG
in revenue service. We are at Harbord St. and Spadina and 4422 is southbound on the 510 Spadina line, approaching the southbound Harbord St. platform. I can confirm that almost every seat was occupied by passengers, with people getting on and off at this location.

Attachments

• IMG_8938.JPG
    IMG_8938.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 1,336
For months now, and certainly since the much-heralded launch of the new streetcars on the 514 Cherry, there have been a maximum of ONE such new streetcar on the 514 or the 509. No matter if new streetcars arrive, the TTC refuses to actually put them out into service onto these lines.

Is this to reduce the mileage on the older Flexities?

If so, is this a valid reason not to start expanding service onto other lines?

As I said this practice has been going on for a very long time. At what point does it stop?

I hope not. Taking Flexities off the road to equalise mileage would be a really dumb thing to do right now. Do it in five years, when you have the whole fleet on hand to cover the gaps. Let a few of the oldest ones rack up the miles, so you gain insight into what life cycle issues may arise due to aging and hard service. We need the few cars that we have on the streets right now.

- Paul

For months now, and certainly since the much-heralded launch of the new streetcars on the 514 Cherry, there have been a maximum of ONE such new streetcar on the 514 or the 509. No matter if new streetcars arrive, the TTC refuses to actually put them out into service onto these lines.

If so, is this a valid reason not to start expanding service onto other lines?

As I said this practice has been going on for a very long time. At what point does it stop?

Something to keep in mind we only have 21. I think of those 12 are assigned to 510 everyday with four spares for 16. They also have at least one or two for training of new operators. So thath takes us to 18 and they probably want to have a spare for either 509 or 514 so thath leaves the remaining 2 on those routes. 509 isn't operating with its full route until the ex and then it's going to be shortened again after thath until the fall. We will probably see more on 514 before 509 gets converted to all Flexs.

For months now, and certainly since the much-heralded launch of the new streetcars on the 514 Cherry, there have been a maximum of ONE such new streetcar on the 514 or the 509.
Actually, there was once or twice where there was two on 509. And on many days there's been an ALRV and on one occasion I saw a CLRV on 510. Clearly, they barely have enough streetcars for 510 yet, let alone the other routes.

On weekdays, one on both 509 and 514 plus all of 510 requires 17 vehicles - and there was only 20 vehicles until 4422 went into service earlier this week.

No matter if new streetcars arrive, the TTC refuses to actually put them out into service onto these lines.
No, that's not it. If 17 are in service, and 1 is in use for training, that only leaves 2 other streetcars ... for cleaning, repairs, etc. And when there are more needing repair, we start to see an ALRV popping up as well.

On average, with only 20 cars, we've been seeing 16 in service much of the time I've looked (the statistical mode). Sometimes 17.

Really to provide full coverage on 510 and 1 on 509 and 514, (17 cars) we need 21 cars in the fleet. Which they now have.

At what point does it stop?
When there are more cars.

Something to keep in mind we only have 21. I think of those 12 are assigned to 510
15 are assigned to 510 on weekdays!

I got some video of one of the new cars on Cherry street the other day facing backwards from the front of it. Before I started filming a couple of people tried to get transfers from the driver as they wanted to get on the 504. I also helped some tourist use the fare machine to pay when they boarded at Cherry loop.

My contact in Thunder Bay told me last night that 4423 has been out on the test track at Bombardier for a couple of days but is now back in the plant. He usually sends me a picture once CP pick them up and take them downtown to "E" yard, to be picked up by train 420. I will post the picture of 4423 as soon as he sends it to me.

My contact in Thunder Bay told me last night that 4423 has been out on the test track at Bombardier for a couple of days but is now back in the plant. He usually sends me a picture once CP pick them up and take them downtown to "E" yard, to be picked up by train 420. I will post the picture of 4423 as soon as he sends it to me.
Can you get any information on 4402?

Lets hope the break failure, sander issues, along with a few other things are dealt with before being ship not during the testing stage here.

On weekdays, one on both 509 and 514 plus all of 510 requires 17 vehicles - and there was only 20 vehicles until 4422 went into service earlier this week.

No, that's not it. If 17 are in service, and 1 is in use for training, that only leaves 2 other streetcars ... for cleaning, repairs, etc. And when there are more needing repair, we start to see an ALRV popping up as well.

On average, with only 20 cars, we've been seeing 16 in service much of the time I've looked (the statistical mode). Sometimes 17.

Really to provide full coverage on 510 and 1 on 509 and 514, (17 cars) we need 21 cars in the fleet. Which they now have.

It's amazing the contortions that are made to justify the fact that TTC just doesn't put out all the cars they should be; they reserve too many for this black hole of "training", "cleaning" and "repairs" (which basically means we have no idea why they are out of service and there could very well be no good reason why).

This has been the case since the beginning of the roll-out--TTC just doesn't put enough of them into service.

There are only 15 total in service this morning. 13 on 510, 1 on 509 and 1 on 514.

If there are 21 cars in the fleet, where are the 6 others?

It's amazing the contortions that are made to justify the fact that TTC just doesn't put out all the cars they should be; they reserve too many for this black hole of "training", "cleaning" and "repairs" (which basically means we have no idea why they are out of service and there could very well be no good reason why).

This has been the case since the beginning of the roll-out--TTC just doesn't put enough of them into service.

There are only 15 total in service this morning. 13 on 510, 1 on 509 and 1 on 514.

If there are 21 cars in the fleet, where are the 6 others?
2 are in the yard and 3 in the repair bays at this time with the remaining in service

2 are in the yard and 3 in the repair bays at this time with the remaining in service

Can't they fix them at night? Or does the union somehow restrict this?

The debt cost (or cost of alternative capital) would be $350k/yr per car or more. Not having them in service is a pure waste of our tax dollars. And the TTC wonders why no one trusts them with additional funding.

Can't they fix them at night? Or does the union somehow restrict this?

The debt cost (or cost of alternative capital) would be $350k/yr per car or more. Not having them in service is a pure waste of our tax dollars. And the TTC wonders why no one trusts them with additional funding.
Does your car dealership fix your car overnight????

To be very blunt, I guess safety and fixing Thunder Bay problems, as well standard maintance mean a rat ass to you as long as they are not out for service daily. TTC has crews working 7/24 and some work can take days to be done.

The children need to stay in school to learn how the real world works as they are clueless when it comes to making these statements.

Comparing car dealerships to public transit repair bays makes no sense. Private cars aren't an essential public service that needs to run during the day, public transit vehicles do.

Considering how ridiculously botched the Flexity roll-out has been, TTC should put in every effort to repair them at night and get them out there during the day,

Last edited by a moderator:

Back