News   Jul 19, 2024
 398     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

There are at least two Flexities on the 511 heading to/from Exhibition; just saw two pass West of Spadina!

There are at least two Flexities on the 511 heading to/from Exhibition; just saw two pass West of Spadina!

What do you mean "saw two pass West of Spadina"? The 511 runs down Bathurst St which is parallel to Spadina. Currently there is a detour for the 510, including flexities, Bathurst-College-Spadina. There are also two flexities scheduled for the 509 Harbourfront. However, none are currently scheduled for 511 to Exhibition--that would be very odd, the TTC has not been putting them on other routes unannounced.

Although it has been said that brad ross said on twitter after 509 they are looking at evaluating where they are going to go after that. Plus as I said with Exabition lopp closed until August they may not want to have a ton of Flex short turning at Fleet as it could back service up on both lines.

There's 16 streetcars now, and with a couple required for training and a couple more as maintenance spares, so ~10 more need to arrive before 510/509 are complete. So at most only a few would be available to be on 511 through the summer.

^getting some rough press

washington streetcar times.JPG

Attachments

• washington streetcar times.JPG
    washington streetcar times.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 705
What do you mean "saw two pass West of Spadina"? The 511 runs down Bathurst St which is parallel to Spadina. Currently there is a detour for the 510, including flexities, Bathurst-College-Spadina. There are also two flexities scheduled for the 509 Harbourfront. However, none are currently scheduled for 511 to Exhibition--that would be very odd, the TTC has not been putting them on other routes unannounced.

Er, sorry, maybe it was 509? - after checking a map, yep - sorry, that's what I meant. The one that goes from Union to Exhibition and back. Spadina runs North/South... and when it comes south and turns left toward Queens Quay, I got off to take some photos and I saw two on the right (toward the Exhibition direction), one was coming toward Union and one heading out toward Exhibition. I'm pretty sure it said "Exhibition" on the LED signboard.

I rode the 510 quite a bit today and didn't notice a detour... it went South on Spadina, then across the waterfront, and then up the little tunnel toward Union. Where is the detour?

Er, sorry, maybe it was 509? - after checking a map, yep - sorry, that's what I meant.
There's been two Flexities on 509 most of the time since last summer.

I rode the 510 quite a bit today and didn't notice a detour... it went South on Spadina, then across the waterfront, and then up the little tunnel toward Union. Where is the detour?
The top end. Instead of going along Spadina from College to Spadina station, it turned west on College, and then north on Bathurst to Bathurst station. Just for the weekend.

I rode it from Bathurst station on Saturday to connect to a 506. It had a far number of riders on it, but most got off by Spadina (where presumably the regular crowd got on).

Didn't know that - thanks! First I've heard of it. I thought they were only doing 510 first until it was "fully loaded up" with Flexities, then moving on. I guess I assumed since there are still CLRV and ALRV's on 510, there wouldn't be Flexities on any other routes yet.

The top end. Instead of going along Spadina from College to Spadina station, it turned west on College, and then north on Bathurst to Bathurst station. Just for the weekend.

I rode it from Bathurst station on Saturday to connect to a 506. It had a far number of riders on it, but most got off by Spadina (where presumably the regular crowd got on).

It didn't do that today... maybe they stopped doing this mid-afternoon, but all the trains I rode today went straight North/South on Spadina, right from the station down to the harbourfront, no detours.

It didn't do that today... maybe they stopped doing this mid-afternoon, but all the trains I rode today went straight North/South on Spadina, right from the station down to the harbourfront, no detours.
It was still doing it this morning. The website says the detour was supposed to end at 5 pm today - perhaps they finished the work a little early - http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/510_Spadina_sptun.jsp

A shame, the diversion was interesting to see in mixed traffic - at one stop on college the back 3 doors were adjacent to a parking bay - some work still to be done.

Didn't know that - thanks! First I've heard of it. I thought they were only doing 510 first until it was "fully loaded up" with Flexities, then moving on. I guess I assumed since there are still CLRV and ALRV's on 510, there wouldn't be Flexities on any other routes yet.

Actually they have had two flexes on 509 since they closed off saadian to upgrade the wiring and do some track work last march or so. I think they added more during the pan am games as they had two on bathurst and one on spadina. They currently have 2 or 4 ALRVs added to spadin and only add CLRVs if the Alrvs are unavailable

The DC streetcar is being crapped on from a height, and it doesn't help that media like the Economist are joining the rotten-fruit throwing. Streetcar/light rail advocates from around the US should be figuring out ways to get things moving there to stop providing opponents in Congress with useful anecdotes. It doesn't help that the DC metro seems to have its own problems. We could send them Andy and Brad but it will be a long time before TTC is in shape to let them go.

The DC streetcar is being crapped on from a height, and it doesn't help that media like the Economist are joining the rotten-fruit throwing. Streetcar/light rail advocates from around the US should be figuring out ways to get things moving there to stop providing opponents in Congress with useful anecdotes. It doesn't help that the DC metro seems to have its own problems. We could send them Andy and Brad but it will be a long time before TTC is in shape to let them go.

The DC metro's main problem is coverage within the city. It functions more like a suburban commuter line in that stretches way out into communities in VA and MD (all of which pay into the cost, fortunately) but it doesn't make much sense for most trips within the centre and the headways are pretty long late at night. And if you can't use the metro in town to get where you want to go, there are buses, but again, big gaps in coverage plus service is affected by horrible traffic congestion at times. The H/Benning Streetcar at least covers a gap in transit service in the area, runs mostly in its own ROW and connects to a major transit hub.

You can see it being tested in various places on Google Street View.

https://goo.gl/maps/pPjEUGSnQeC2

Back