News   Jul 19, 2024
 461     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 721     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

My main concern with using a phone as a transit pass is being worried about being stranded if the battery runs out.

Like being stranded when you lose your Presto Card? Every method has its downfall. No single method is foolproof. I see no reason to fear using a phone just because a battery may die out, when you are just as likely to drop a card, lose a wallet, run out of change etc.

(I for one have left my wallet at home more times than I have allowed my cell phone to completely run out of juice)

Just as likely? I've never lost a transit pass in my life, dating back to 1980. I've had a couple of lost wallets in those years, but fortunately never during a period I had a pass. So worst case is 2 losses in 35 years.

I easily have more occasions like that in some weeks, when I pull out my phone, and discover it's not on, middle of rebooting, or out of power.

I even use my iPhone as the keys to my home. I don't carry a wallet or a set of keys. Am I worried about the battery running out? Nope, I have an Apple Watch as well and it never runs out of battery.

This morning I went on a long run with my dog with nothing but my Apple Watch — no wallet, not even a phone. Along the way, I stopped in to Tim Hortens for a bagel, then at Shoppers for a bottle of water. After about 10K, I found an excuse to take the streetcar home and try ApplePay. I tapped my Apple Watch on the ticket vending machine inside and it worked!

. I tapped my Apple Watch on the ticket vending machine inside and it worked!

I was skeptical about the watch before I got it, but I am finding it's a real gamechanger. It only leaves my wrist when I shower, and I notice immediately if I'm not wearing it. It's much harder to lose (or have stolen) than my wallet, keys, or phone. The more it can do for me, the better.

It doesn't work as government ID -yet - but pretty soon there will be an implant for that :) The other thing I will be watching for is fees.

- Paul

We're starting to hit a critical mass where the new streetcars are ubiquitous for some people. I'm one of those people — sort of*. I live off of Spadina and I haven't been seeing any of the old ones on that line. Are they fully stocked for the 510?

*I still occasionally ride the old cars on 504 King

We're starting to hit a critical mass where the new streetcars are ubiquitous for some people. I'm one of those people — sort of*. I live off of Spadina and I haven't been seeing any of the old ones on that line. Are they fully stocked for the 510?

When I check on Nextbus (http://www.nextbus.com/googleMap/?a=ttc&r=510), it still usually shows at least 1 or 2 ALRVs. I also sometimes see them when I cross Spadina on the 501.

To those concerned their phone would die in the middle of the commute:

External batteries are inexpensive and can be placed inside a pocket. I carry an external battery all the time.

With regards to iPhone vs. Android, there is actually a greater variety of Android phones in Canada than in the United States. For example, Sony smartphones (many of which use Android) are readily available in Bell stores, while Sony smartphones are often lumped under "Other" in the United States with regards to smartphone sales by brand. Yes, there are some Sony Xperia-series smartphone models available in Canada but not in the United States. To be fair, Sony is far from the top Android brand in Canada (which like most places is Samsung).

To those concerned their phone would die in the middle of the commute:

External batteries are inexpensive and can be placed inside a pocket. I carry an external battery all the time.

With regards to iPhone vs. Android, there is actually a greater variety of Android phones in Canada than in the United States. For example, Sony smartphones (many of which use Android) are readily available in Bell stores, while Sony smartphones are often lumped under "Other" in the United States with regards to smartphone sales by brand.

I think a lot of poels preference in Canada comes down to cost. Most of them charge a premium for the new Iphones in addition to the upgrade cost or tab. Foe Example with Koodo after my tab is done or paid off can get a Moto X play with 16 GB of internal memory plus an additional 16 GB with a micro SD and a $15 dollar a month tab contribution just on my Tab for an iPhone 6s the cheapest version would cost me an additional 270 dollars plus a 21 dollar a month contribution

When I check on Nextbus (http://www.nextbus.com/googleMap/?a=ttc&r=510), it still usually shows at least 1 or 2 ALRVs. I also sometimes see them when I cross Spadina on the 501.
At this very moment, it shows 8 new cars and 5 old cars (probably ALRV's)*. It seems to be quite variable, but definitely not 100% converted yet.

*I know that vehicles in the tunnels often don't show up on the display.

At this very moment, it shows 8 new cars and 5 old cars (probably ALRV's)*. It seems to be quite variable, but definitely not 100% converted yet.
That's 13. Should be 14 out. I'm seeing 9 new and 5 old. Normally 10 new most days.

*I know that vehicles in the tunnels often don't show up on the display.
They should show up in the NextBus feed. Perhaps the app you are using is deficient - http://webservices.nextbus.com/service/publicXMLFeed?command=vehicleLocations&a=ttc&r=510&t=0

U8kfgPg.png

The problem I find with the Spadina line is that bunching can be rather extreme. Just a random snapshot after watching it for a minute. 5 new streetcars heading Southbound between Adelaide and QQ loop (which is almost exactly 1 km apart). Then there's nothing between Queen's Quay south to Union Station, back Northbound all the way to Wellington, which is roughly 4 km. You don't need to be a transit planner to see that 5 streetcars in 1 km with no streetcars for the next 4 km isn't so hot.

The only things that will help bunching is modifying the traffic light signal priority to actually give a realistic priority to the streetcars, and to better manage schedules of the streetcars.
I think bunching might be improved by some sort of improvement to how they get from QQ to Spadina...I don't know.

I see bunching all the time. This morning was brutal. A long wait win no streetcars - 3 streetcars back to back to back
I think bunching might be improved by some sort of improvement to how they get from QQ to Spadina...I don't know.

How about eliminating the ridiculous 510A/510B/510C system they started in January? That way the QQ and Charlotte loops, which are huge bottlenecks, are eliminated.

Back