News   Jul 19, 2024
 499     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 788     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

If only the 30-unit refit plan included (Flexity model) pantos for them too...

well...if we can work that into the settlement package with bbr......but my bet is that they will be late with those conversions too.....completely negating the point of it

Pans will be used once King & Queen overhead are fully converted to the new carhouse as well Roncesvalles. 510 has always been the first route to go pans follow by 509 and 511. The rest will follow as plan.

Since there not enough cars yet to do a fully conversion for 510 as well not all the overhead at intersections is done, it still a few months off before pans are used 100% from the carhouse to the 3 routes in 2016. TTC fear that divers may forget to lower the pan and use the pole to the carhouse to the point they could pull the overhead done on the non conversion sections from their routes.

The first 60 cars where to have poles and pans based on the overhead timetable. With the late delivery and where the overhead is at, don't expect to see poles on cars after the 30th car gets here. At the rate things are going, I expect to see 4401 return from rebuilt without its current pole.

Thunder Bay not expected to have car 60 here until 2017 and TTC just received car 16 this week. Car 30 could be here by June if things stay on schedule.

The current cars with poles will start to roll out to other routes once the pan only start replacing them on the current 2 routes and then move to 511.

4215 was seen on QQ coming from Union today.

Interestingly, the rendering of inside the car looks like major modifications were made. I wonder if the TTC just sold Nike an old ALRV that wasn't being refurbished for them to use, then to be disposed of after.
Cars 4213 and 4249 apparently.

Which is odd - the latter had just been refurbished as far as I know.

4215 was seen on QQ coming from Union today.
The ALRVs have been used to fill in for the shortage of Flexity's for a month or so on 510. 10 Flexitys and 4 ALRVs in service today (and most days recently).

Despite rumours to the contrary that TTC wouldn't ever do it again, the ALRVs have mostly been going to Union. Part of the reason I wondered if they were getting more power now that some of the overhead has been upgraded to thicker wire.

Interestingly, LFLRV 4404 does not have a pantograph, it is missing. I peeked into the driver's cabin once, and there was a notice printed in large bold text on a sheet of paper taped to a surface in the cabin saying something along the lines of "Attention operator: this streetcar does not have a pantograph, due to an incident with the overhead". Not sure what that incident was.

Interestingly, LFLRV 4404 does not have a pantograph, it is missing. I peeked into the driver's cabin once, and there was a notice printed in large bold text on a sheet of paper taped to a surface in the cabin saying something along the lines of "Attention operator: this streetcar does not have a pantograph, due to an incident with the overhead". Not sure what that incident was.
Probably tried to use a section of track with old overhead!

Despite rumours to the contrary that TTC wouldn't ever do it again, the ALRVs have mostly been going to Union. Part of the reason I wondered if they were getting more power now that some of the overhead has been upgraded to thicker wire.

I wonder if they figure it's ok to do it as they can possibly get a Flex to pull or push it out of there if something happens

I wonder if they figure it's ok to do it as they can possibly get a Flex to pull or push it out of there if something happens
The problem to push an ALRV out of Union is not having a Flex behind it to do it. The ALRV I saw was follow by 2 CLRV's.

To pull one out would require an Flex go westbound at Spadina and then backup all the way to Union. This would kill service for hours until the ALRV is out.

Not the first time I have seen an ALRV on QQ, but been sometime since I last saw one. This ALRV was doing different trip runs as I ran into it later doing the Charlotte loop. Normally see it turn at QQ loop.

The problem to push an ALRV out of Union is not having a Flex behind it to do it. The ALRV I saw was follow by 2 CLRV's.

To pull one out would require an Flex go westbound at Spadina and then backup all the way to Union. This would kill service for hours until the ALRV is out.
good point . I Think I saw sommere that on a hill they need at least two Clrvs to push a ALRV

Not the first time I have seen an ALRV on QQ, but been sometime since I last saw one. This ALRV was doing different trip runs as I ran into it later doing the Charlotte loop. Normally see it turn at QQ loop.
I think I've seen one a few years ago on te 509 to exhibition during a busy weekend at the ex, but before now it's been rare. I wonder if they are using them on Spadina instead of bathurst because of having to run the Flex around fleet lop it's easier to only have CLRVs

Cars 4213 and 4249 apparently.

Which is odd - the latter had just been refurbished as far as I know.

4249 was simply used for photos for their advertising blitz. It has been unwrapped.

4213 was used because it was one of the next in line for the rebuild programme, and they figured that they might as well strip the interior out now since it needs to come out anyways.

Power in the tunnel has never been an issue.

They have been trying to keep the As on the King runs, but obviously with limited success.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What do you mean by underpowered ALRV? Can an ALRV not drive properly out the hill of the tunnel to Union on the little underground section?

4249 was simply used for photos for their advertising blitz. It has been unwrapped.

4213 was used because it was one of the next in line for the rebuild programme, and they figured that they might as well strip the interior out now since it needs to come out anyways.

Power in the tunnel has never been an issue.

They have been trying to keep the As on the King runs, but obviously with limited success.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I've seen so many variations of this "ALRVs can't use Union Station" legend:

- The A's are too heavy, and if they broke down in Union or Spadina Station, another A couldn't push them out
- Not enough power for the A's to handle the grades
- Because the driver can't see the rear of the A when turning, it's a safety hazard to have them in Union loop without a spotter in the station.

I think the only credible one is the last.

What do you mean by underpowered ALRV? Can an ALRV not drive properly out the hill of the tunnel to Union on the little underground section?
My recollection is that the ALRV doesn't get quite enough power using a pole, which is why they avoid using it on steeper grades. Recall that the prototype originally had a pantograph. But perhaps this is one of these fables that is turning out to have no basis.

Why does the size of the pole limit the power it can get? That doesn't make sense to me. Just make the roller at the top bigger or whatever.

Why does the size of the pole limit the power it can get? That doesn't make sense to me. Just make the roller at the top bigger or whatever.
Good question - which is why I enquired if the thicker gauge wire that's been going in makes a difference - but someone said it doesn't.

Back