News   Jul 19, 2024
 463     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 721     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

This isn't about the new Flexities and I wasn't sure where to post - but it looks like Nike is turning a TTC ALRV into a mobile shoe store dubbed "SNKRS XPRESS" for the NBA All-Star Game this weekend. Article here.

Interestingly, the rendering of inside the car looks like major modifications were made. I wonder if the TTC just sold Nike an old ALRV that wasn't being refurbished for them to use, then to be disposed of after. Insights on this?

It is still an active car and should be returned to service once it is all said and done. Rumour has it that the rental of the car is costing Nike 6 digits.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Touchdown at Hillcrest
upload_2016-2-10_11-52-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-10_11-52-41.png
    upload_2016-2-10_11-52-41.png
    411.3 KB · Views: 619
Reactions: PL1
Anyone know when the new streetcars will be switching over to pantograph?
This has been discussed , at length, earlier in this thread. They can only use pantos when all the overhead is changed over. They are making good progress but many intersections and some diversion routes (e.g. Parliament) need to be done and several stretches of main routes too (King from York to Church for example.)

What about routes that cross other routes that are still using poles? Would they have to wait until the cross-routes also switch to pans?

What is the exact technical reason for the change requirement? I assume mainly the little "Y" castings that are at branches, since the pole wheel kind of is encapsulated by it and then dragged to one side or the other, whereas the pan needs a smooth surface to press against?

At some point I could almost imagine the TTC would say "screw it" and just keep the poles. It seems like an awful lot of work! What is the gain, other than a much better aesthetic?

I think the switches for the wires are being replaced by ones that pans can use also. Pans are also more efficient and can provide more power to the streetcar plus given the length of the new ones it's a lot easier if they can eliminate poles just for dewiring.

probably once they are the only vehicles on a route. so my guess would be 510 spadina sometime in march with 509 following that by april if we get them every 4 days
What's that got to do with it? They can still run with poles ... and they will be.

Only the first 60 (if I remember the number correctly) new streetcars have poles. There'll be lots of routes with both poles and pans at the same time.

What's that got to do with it? They can still run with poles ... and they will be.

Only the first 60 (if I remember the number correctly) new streetcars have poles. There'll be lots of routes with both poles and pans at the same time.
good point I think they just want to hold off on using them until they are the only ones on a route. My guess would be they figure 60 is the enough where they can run routes with multiple types

good point I think they just want to hold off on using them until they are the only ones on a route. My guess would be they figure 60 is the enough where they can run routes with multiple types
The question is not whether a route is only using new streetcars but whether all of the route plus any and all possible diversions have been converted to the new wiring and 'hangers'. As noted above, the TTC have made very good progress in upgrading the overhead and, last I heard, expect to finish it all by the end of 2016. The old cars will continue to use poles as there is no reason why poles cannot use the new wiring, the problem is the pantos cannot use the old!

The new wiring and overhead was necessary as the wire itself is thicker, so can provide more power (the new cars all have a/c) , and the pans do not wear out as fast as the poles do because the potential point of contact is much larger .

UOTE="DSC, post: 1081310, member: 1138"]The question is not whether a route is only using new streetcars but whether all of the route plus any and all possible diversions have been converted to the new wiring and 'hangers'. As noted above, the TTC have made very good progress in upgrading the overhead and, last I heard, expect to finish it all by the end of 2016. The old cars will continue to use poles as there is no reason why poles cannot use the new wiring, the problem is the pantos cannot use the old!

The new wiring and overhead was necessary as the wire itself is thicker, so can provide more power (the new cars all have a/c) , and the pans do not wear out as fast as the poles do because the potential point of contact is much larger .[/QUOTE]

true I'm just going by what brad ross said when i asked him about it he said they are planing to start using the pans sometime this year. So I'm guessing once Spadina and harbourfront are both using them we will see them up.
24574009839_8657978f73_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
The new wiring and overhead was necessary as the wire itself is thicker, so can provide more power (the new cars all have a/c) , and the pans do not wear out as fast as the poles do because the potential point of contact is much larger .
Does the thicker wire provide more power to the Flexities when using poles? What about the underpowered ALRVs?

Back