News   Jul 19, 2024
 499     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 788     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

My recollection is that the ALRV doesn't get quite enough power using a pole, which is why they avoid using it on steeper grades. Recall that the prototype originally had a pantograph. But perhaps this is one of these fables that is turning out to have no basis.

No no no. I heard the reason they don't use the pantograph is because the ALRV gets too much power. And when it gets too much power, it transforms into something terrifying.

ac3tfn9.gif

I've seen so many variations of this "ALRVs can't use Union Station" legend:

- The A's are too heavy, and if they broke down in Union or Spadina Station, another A couldn't push them out
- Not enough power for the A's to handle the grades
- Because the driver can't see the rear of the A when turning, it's a safety hazard to have them in Union loop without a spotter in the station.

I think the only credible one is the last.

The first is somewhat true, and the third is absolutely true. The second is unequivocally false.

If an ALRV fails in the tunnel, another A can most certainly push it up, as can a Flexity. A CLRV, on the other hand, can not on its own, and until recently it was far more likely to have a CLRV caught behind an ALRV down there than another A.

There is one ather reason. As the brakes fail to "on", they would need to be manually cranked off before being pushed. But due to their location, and the lack of clearance in the tunnels in Union Station, this is virtually impossible.

My recollection is that the ALRV doesn't get quite enough power using a pole, which is why they avoid using it on steeper grades. Recall that the prototype originally had a pantograph. But perhaps this is one of these fables that is turning out to have no basis.

This seems to be a constant fable coming out of the TTC. A pole is capable of handling the same kind of amperage as a pantograph is. In fact despite the fact that they draw a lot more power than a CLRV, the ALRVs and Flexities operate quite nicely on the Toronto system - the only difference is that have longer shoes at the ends of their trolley poles.

There are lots of operational reasons to change over to pantographs, but the ability to draw down a quantity of power to the vehicle is not one of them in this case.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

No no no. I heard the reason they don't use the pantograph is because the ALRV gets too much power. And when it gets too much power, it transforms into something terrifying.

ac3tfn9.gif
Only if it had a flux capacitor and travelled at 88mph would the ALRV travel in time. It could end up crushing a horse-drawn streetcar or a levitating Flexity Outlook II.

What the heck do ALRV's have to do with title of this thread, which is "TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery"?
I swear, UT is such a poorly moderated forum.

What the heck do ALRV's have to do with title of this thread, which is "TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery"?

Additionally, Spadina is supposed to be 100% flexity-operated, and that has been the "rule" for a while now, however ALRVs are still showing up on it. When there are insufficient flexities to provide vehicles to a route that is supposed to be 100% converted, and a different car with known issues handling both terminus stations on the line is used instead, that is a matter for concern.

If you think this is off topic, I suggest you stay away from UT. Just be happy we're not talking about something totally off topic, like basketball

I have a question about the width of the LFLRVs and TRs

Bombardier claims the Flexity Freedom (Eglintom vehicle) is 2.65 meters wide
They also claim the Toronto Rocket is the same width
The Flexity Freedom (TTC) vehicle claims 2.54 meters wide.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. The streetcars feels significantly narrower than the TRs, but bombardier claims they're the same width. Is there an error on the spec sheet?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. The streetcars feels significantly narrower than the TRs, but bombardier claims they're the same width. Is there an error on the spec sheet?

The TRs are way wider than 2.65m wide. Their inside width is 3.1m.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

TTC Flexity Outlook streetcars are 2.54m wide like the current CLRV/ALRVs.
Flexity Freedoms are 2.65m wide like the Flexity 2's in service around the world.

In contracts, the new Montreal MPM-10 subway trains are narrow.

Back