News   Jul 15, 2024
 484     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 640     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 579     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Yes, there is a machine you stick your token in and get a receipt from that is valid as a transfer.

Its actually really embarrassing how this is so "new" to people in Toronto, whereas its the accepted method of paying for fare at basically 99% of all other transit systems in the world...

We are so behind in some ways with our transit.

Spotted the new streetcar on a test run just west of Spadina on Queen last Friday evening. In service August 31st according to the sign :).

14828076664_e427caa98c_b.jpg

14850290803_5f7088b312_b.jpg

So how did you like their streetcars?

I liked them. SEPTA has 3 types - single ended, doubled end cars built by Kawaski, and rebuilt PCC's (called PCC II). The Kawasakis look to be in really good shape for cars built in the 1980's. The highlight for me was the streetcar tunnel that runs under Market St to City Hall. The tunnel is a 4 track structure with subway tracks in the middle, and at some streetcar stops, you can watch the subway trains roar by. I am sure some hardy souls tried to cross the tracks. In the tunnel, the maximum permitted speed is displayed on the operator console, and it's signalled.

My favourite line is the Norristown High Speed line. It's a fully grade separated line with 3rd rail power, and small high floor cars with onboard fare collection. You have to signal for your stop and at stops you have to press a button to flag apporaching trains. The platforms at some stops are really small too. The name is accurate too. It's quite fast.

I liked them. SEPTA has 3 types - single ended, doubled end cars built by Kawaski, and rebuilt PCC's (called PCC II). The Kawasakis look to be in really good shape for cars built in the 1980's. The highlight for me was the streetcar tunnel that runs under Market St to City Hall. The tunnel is a 4 track structure with subway tracks in the middle, and at some streetcar stops, you can watch the subway trains roar by. I am sure some hardy souls tried to cross the tracks. In the tunnel, the maximum permitted speed is displayed on the operator console, and it's signalled.

My favourite line is the Norristown High Speed line. It's a fully grade separated line with 3rd rail power, and small high floor cars with onboard fare collection. You have to signal for your stop and at stops you have to press a button to flag apporaching trains. The platforms at some stops are really small too. The name is accurate too. It's quite fast.

That's nice. Are they mixed traffic as well? I'm guessing so. Did you have to pay for transfers and stuff in Philadelphia?

That's nice. Are they mixed traffic as well? I'm guessing so. Did you have to pay for transfers and stuff in Philadelphia?

The 10,11,13,34, and 36 run in mixed trafffic, and converge to run in the tunnel. There's two lines in the suburbs that are considered Light Rail, but I didn't get to ride them.
I had a weekly pass, but when I researching fares, I did see that transfers cost $1.00. I had to pay and extra .50cents to ride the Norristown Line.

Back