News   Jul 15, 2024
 641     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 785     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 613     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Streetcars normally pick up passengers while on their way from the streetcar barn to the start of their route so it would not be too odd if the first revenue passenger actually got on the streetcar before it arrives at Spadina Station.

I'm not sure how normal that is - it seems like it depends on the driver, because I've never been able to get on a Bathurst car that's between Hillcrest and the station, for example.

I can't decide if I want to get on the new LRV at Spadina or bike to one of the stops and get on there.

I liked them. SEPTA has 3 types - single ended, doubled end cars built by Kawaski, and rebuilt PCC's (called PCC II). The Kawasakis look to be in really good shape for cars built in the 1980's. The highlight for me was the streetcar tunnel that runs under Market St to City Hall. The tunnel is a 4 track structure with subway tracks in the middle, and at some streetcar stops, you can watch the subway trains roar by. I am sure some hardy souls tried to cross the tracks. In the tunnel, the maximum permitted speed is displayed on the operator console, and it's signalled.

My favourite line is the Norristown High Speed line. It's a fully grade separated line with 3rd rail power, and small high floor cars with onboard fare collection. You have to signal for your stop and at stops you have to press a button to flag apporaching trains. The platforms at some stops are really small too. The name is accurate too. It's quite fast.

They Norristown High Speed Line is so unique. It is such an awesome use of existing resources.

I believe that the tracks were old abandoned train tracks and they converted them for use with the small cars and third rail.

Some 512 trips begin at Bathurst Station in the morning, and I have seen people ride up to St. Clair.

I think I may have actually done that, but I was referring more to streetcars coming down from Hillcrest to Bathurst station. Never been able to get on.

They Norristown High Speed Line is so unique. It is such an awesome use of existing resources.

I believe that the tracks were old abandoned train tracks and they converted them for use with the small cars and third rail.

It is quite neat but it does struggle for ridership; under 400 passengers per station in 2013 with a spacing of 1 station per km (so under 400 passengers per track kilometer too).

Streetcars normally pick up passengers while on their way from the streetcar barn to the start of their route so it would not be too odd if the first revenue passenger actually got on the streetcar before it arrives at Spadina Station.

They normally do, yes. I believe that there will be an exception made in this case, as there is also to be a bit of a song-and-dance ceremony at Spadina when the first car rolls in.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They normally do, yes. I believe that there will be an exception made in this case, as there is also to be a bit of a song-and-dance ceremony at Spadina when the first car rolls in.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Get out the giant gold scissors and roll of blue ribbon!!!!

I'm planning to fight everyone. No holds barred! That transfer will be mine! I already have a nice spot set up for it on my wall, where I will proudly display it ;)

Last edited:
SEPTA Passes and the Norristown High Speed Line...

I used the Transpass. It's easily the best value if you want to explore Philly.
you can ride Regional Rail Airport line for free with the Transpass, I was hoping to ride the new SilverLiner V to the airport, but I caught a IV instead. Still nice EMU's for their age.

JBG: I should have mentioned SEPTA's Weekly Passes along with the two single-day passes previously...

The Transpass is a good deal - if you do not use Regional Rail (other than the Airport Line) and stay primarily within the City of Philadelphia...
Transpasses are only valid between the five Center City stations (from Temple University to 30th Street and University City) and on the Airport Line as mentioned anytime...

When I stay in Philadelphia and buy a SEPTA pass I normally buy a Zone 1...This allows off-peak Regional Rail use to stations outside of Center City that are within the boundaries
of the City of Philadelphia and a extra zone for suburban use...

Depending on which lines you use a Zone 3 - offering system-wide off peak travel and the "ANYWHERE" pass allowing full system-wide travel at any time can be better buys...

If you ride SEPTA Regional Rail and extend your ride on weekdays past your zone if it is a Zone 1 or 2 or 3 (peak hours) it is a $4 flat on-board charge...

The best SEPTA pass perk of all is the ANYWHERE privileges on Saturday,Sunday and major holidays that ALL SEPTA Weekly and Monthly passes can be used for...

Do SEPTA passes compare well with the TTC's or GO's?

The SEPTA Silverliner Four RRD cars (numbering about 230) date from 1974-75-76...They have held up well despite their age with renovations...

RM: The Norristown High Speed Line has a interesting-and long history...It is over 100 years old and has trolley ancestry...See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norristown_High_Speed_Line

LI MIKE

Last edited:
The new ticket vending machine and fare validator is visible.

[video=youtube;m012YT7FWN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m012YT7FWN0[/video]

Back