News   Jul 17, 2024
 367     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 790     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

GGqNsrV.jpg

Does that plaque read, "...the skilled employee's..."? Good grief. They could have used a proof-reader for the thing.

I really do like our new streetcars. They're feel less sterile than our TRs. The new large windows are incredible. And it cannot be understated how large these things feel, both in terms of width and length. I know the spec sheets say that it's "only" 7 meters longer than our ALRV, but that extra 7 meters makes it feel more like a train and less like a streetcar. So much so, that I had to correct myself a few times when I accidentally referred to them as trains in my conversations. I won't be surprised if we hear people start calling to the Flexity Outlook/Freedom trains (especially the ones that have ROW, such as Eglinton, Finch, Sheppard, Spadina, St. Clair etc...)

The vehicle also feels much wider, which can almost certainly be attributed to the larger windows. And it's nice to see the return of my favourite seats in the back. I will very quickly claim ownership of them whenever I ride these trains... I mean streetcars.

I really can't wait to ride these on the 510 Spadina on opening day, Spring/Summer 2014.

Does that plaque read, "...the skilled employee's..."? Good grief. They could have used a proof-reader for the thing.

I'm equally bothered by the quotation marks around "The TTC welcomes you to Toronto" on the side of the PCC.

Why is this a quote? And from whom?

I'm equally bothered by the quotation marks around "The TTC welcomes you to Toronto" on the side of the PCC.

Why is this a quote? And from whom?
One often sees quotes around a sign and I suspect it is because the order to the sign makers said 'Please make a sign saying "Blah, blah, blah" and have it on my desk by 5pm' The sign maker assumed the quotes were part of the sign.

I really do like our new streetcars. They're feel less sterile than our TRs. The new large windows are incredible. And it cannot be understated how large these things feel, both in terms of width and length. I know the spec sheets say that it's "only" 7 meters longer than our ALRV, but that extra 7 meters makes it feel more like a train and less like a streetcar. So much so, that I had to correct myself a few times when I accidentally referred to them as trains in my conversations. I won't be surprised if we hear people start calling to the Flexity Outlook/Freedom trains (especially the ones that have ROW, such as Eglinton, Finch, Sheppard, Spadina, St. Clair etc...)

The vehicle also feels much wider, which can almost certainly be attributed to the larger windows. And it's nice to see the return of my favourite seats in the back. I will very quickly claim ownership of them whenever I ride these trains... I mean streetcars.

I really can't wait to ride these on the 510 Spadina on opening day, Spring/Summer 2014.

I rode what I believe to be the same streetcar model Toronto will be getting in Brussels and I was very impressed. I agree it does seem very spacious. The section I rode was completely underground. I'm really looking forward to these going into service, as well as the Eglinton Crosstown.

it's nice to see the return of my favourite seats in the back.

As I recall, they're not configured like the current CLRVs, which have what my friends and I lovingly call "the living room": front-facing back seats and side-facing seats on either side, like a U-shaped sofa sectional. I really like that feature of the current streetcars.

The lrt lines will actually be trains, they will have 2 or 3 of the LRVs connected together and running.

The wider seat for overweight people is odd I think. Overweight people will probably be too shamed to use it and it will be the most popular seat on the streetcar for regular skinny folks as well as it gives more personal space. It will be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out.

The wider seat for overweight people is odd I think. Overweight people will probably be too shamed to use it and it will be the most popular seat on the streetcar for regular skinny folks as well as it gives more personal space. It will be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out.
Based on what I saw when the mockup came to town a couple years ago, the wider seat is really a byproduct of the cabin design. It's in a spot where they have to run a conduit along the exterior wall, so you end up with a space too narrow for two regular seats. At the time, they only had a single regular-width seat in that spot, with an awkward few inches of plastic next to it. Clearly, enough people provided feedback that they installed a wider single seat. This is a better use of the space, and allows for more flexible use of the area (wider people, or multiple small people, i.e. kids)

I would not expect anyone to be "too shamed" to use it. You use what is going to be comfortable. Perhaps if there's a sign saying "seats reserved for obese" then there'd be some shaming, and I'd call on the TTC to change to a more generic message, but I haven't seen pictures of any such sign.

Thanks to all those that attended the open house and took pics of the new streetcars. I had some leisure time this morning to browse around on Toronto Transit and I noticed that some of the Post-War PCCs carried their fleet number in the Toronto Subway Font. I have been pondering why the TTC used this font for certain Post-War cars while others did not. It would be kind of cool if the TTC used the Subway Font for the fleet numbers on the Flexitys...sigh one can only dream if they did :)

Back