News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

20121115-front-seats.jpg

These seats still anger me. I brought it up to them that they should use the wider seat design (that exists elsewhere in the vehicle) in this location. They basically blew off the suggestion, saying that it would be a costly modification.

It's still a poor design.

I must agree. It can be redesigned for those with large waist sizes or a half-seat for young children.

They need to change the seat design to a more wider fabric. Maybe one that fills the whole width. As it is currently, passengers may put their backpack on that white space beside them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must agree. It can be redesigned for those with large waist sizes or a half-seat for young children.
Even as it, it's a fine space for small children or extra-wide people. There's something similar in the back row of the current street cars, and no one has ever suggested that they put in wider seats.

They need to change the seat design to a more wider fabric. Maybe one that fills the whole width. As it is currently, passengers may put their backpack on that white space beside them.
For note, you can just barely see the wider seat here, on the left:
http://torontoist.com/2012/11/ttc-previews-our-new-streetcars/ttc-new-streetcar-interior-2/

You could use that basic seat, and re-mold the housing.
It would have been a friendlier, more comfortable solution to the larger clientele, as well as for doubling up with the smaller.

It was just disappointing that the idea was getting shot down at the mockup session last year. It held to the light the lie that they were wanting public feedback to incorporate into the prototype design. They could have at least had the courtesy to "entertain" my suggestion, and then forget about it.

Last edited:
It takes a hell of a lot of balls for for Van Loan to show up representing the federal government considering the feds provided no funding.

Here a video of 4400 I shot. The seats suck and Stadler are better. No shot of the front as the hot air was blowing at the time of this video.

The whole floor is one large slopping area and not found on most lowfloor cars I rode on in Europe some months ago. Need to light up do not pass sign, as the door flashing strip not going to cut it.

You need to walk down the aisle to buy your POP ticket using cash if you don't have a Presto Card.

The bike area is in the 4th section and the first area in the video.

Ahhhhh!!! that newest smell.

Testing will take place around 3 am in a few weeks on the streets.

The new off loading ramp is almost completed
[video=youtube;pFsyznTYaKg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFsyznTYaKg[/video]

Here is a quick look at the front
[video=youtube;-bWZ8NKPsMY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bWZ8NKPsMY[/video]

Technical question: if the new streetcars run on 600-750V and the overhead wires are supposedly uninsulated, what kind of resistive losses, if any, are involved in streetcar operations?

You need to walk down the aisle to buy your POP ticket using cash if you don't have a Presto Card.

Any idea how this will work? The driver is sealed off and can't act as a fare collector, right? Some kind of machine that spits out a transfer for a token?

Also, does the TTC have any plans to roll out all door boarding on its busfleet? Especially when we start getting artics again it would be a shame to waste two whole doors.

Will the TTC be putting advertisements on the streetcars? IIRC, many trams around the world now don't have ad space anymore.

Last edited:

Back