News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 389     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Weren't these taken at the time the first streetcar (4400) was being brought to Hillcrest? Why is CTV only publishing them now?

There's some kind of media event at Hillcrest tomorrow - http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/media/mediaadvisories-avisauxmedias/2012/20121114toronto-eng.html

It doesn't seem to be about the new streetcars, with both Metrolinx and the federal government playing prominent roles, as neither are involved in that program - with the Feds in particular refusing to provide any funding.

But perhaps the new prototype will feature somehow ... seems odd to drag the media to Hillcrest and not show it to them.

Though hard to think what else it could be ... I'd think Spadina events would be at the construction area, and the only other thing I can think of they've all been involved with other than Union Station is Sheppard East - which I suppose means it could be something to do with the new Metrolinx LRVs. Perhaps the feds have agreed to turn their Sheppard East $ into money for the Metrolinx LRVs and carhouse or something.

Which means this post might be entirely in the wrong thread!

There's some kind of media event at Hillcrest tomorrow - http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/media/mediaadvisories-avisauxmedias/2012/20121114toronto-eng.html

It doesn't seem to be about the new streetcars, with both Metrolinx and the federal government playing prominent roles, as neither are involved in that program - with the Feds in particular refusing to provide any funding.

But perhaps the new prototype will feature somehow ... seems odd to drag the media to Hillcrest and not show it to them.

Though hard to think what else it could be ... I'd think Spadina events would be at the construction area, and the only other thing I can think of they've all been involved with other than Union Station is Sheppard East - which I suppose means it could be something to do with the new Metrolinx LRVs. Perhaps the feds have agreed to turn their Sheppard East $ into money for the Metrolinx LRVs and carhouse or something.

Which means this post might be entirely in the wrong thread!

Im confused. Wouldnt they need a LRV house if they were still building sheppard? Does this mean Sheppard might again be on the chopping block? Really?

Wiki says Hillcrest includes some subway operations (transit control), revenue and some administrative offices.

Perhaps phase 1 of the new Yonge signalling system has been completed or the Presto team finally has an actual implementation plan that meets TTC's open-payment requirements.

For big things you used to be able to count on the mayor and premier being there for it but with Ford showing little interest in transit and McGuinty out of commission; it could be a big deal or nothing major.

Last edited:
Im confused. Wouldnt they need a LRV house if they were still building sheppard? Does this mean Sheppard might again be on the chopping block? Really?

Aren't projects typically "chopped" via memo/press release? Don't they reserve "media events" for announcing stuff rather than cancelling stuff?

I'm only guessing (guessing wildly) ... but given that the Feds originally signed up for funding a project that would be completed in 2013, rather than the current plan to only start in 2017 and completed in 2020, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a desire to redirect the $ to something that would be earlier.

Given they are only starting in 2017, we currently have a minority government, and the premier who promised this has resigned, I'd say that both Finch West, Sheppard East, the SRT extension/upgrade, and anything on Eglinton east of Eglinton West station was up in the air. Hudak has promised to cancel all of these LRT projects if elected, and the one not starting construction until 2017 would be the easy one.

I'd think any announcement tomorrow wouldn't cut anything though ... who knows, it could just be some feel good announcement about Sheppard East, with everyone confirming that Feds are still on board even with the delay, using the TTC LRV for the photo op. Or perhaps the feds and Metrolinx have managed to get into the first media viewing of the TTC LRV. I'm just pulling it out of my ass ...

Edit ... here's another possibility. It could be related to the Dundas West/Bloor station connection that all these parties would be involved in, would be completed by 2015, and hasn't had much splash about. Heck, they could ride an streetcar from Hillcrest to Dundas West - though that's a 7 km ride ... and would be rather pointless unless they want to do a press conference in a CLRV or ALRV.

Last edited:
In a second media advisory this morning, TTC has said the new TTC LRV will be on display at Hillcrest this morning ... but not clear if the announcement is pertaining to something else or not. Still can't see why the Feds, or even Metrolinx is there. Perhaps a funding announcement relating to the additional cars for Cherry Street ... though probably not given Waterfront Toronto doesn't seem to be invited ...

Edit - Brad Ross has said the feds are there because of federal gas tax money. Lame Harper ... lame.

Last edited:
BlogTO has photos: http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/11/ttc_officially_unveils_its_new_bombardier_streetcars/

Not liking the 2x2 seating with the narrow walkway/aisle in between. Why are they not using 2x1, as on the current streetcars? When it's crowded, when there are people with large bags or parents with strollers... it's difficult to move down the current wider aisle. I would seem to be impossible with the narrow aisle.

Not crazy about the facing seats, either. Seems like there is not enough leg room, and I can imagine people putting their feet on the opposite seat it it's unoccupied.

The torontist.com has a good photo spread, at this link.

ttc-new-streetcar-1-front.jpg

I like the bogie skirts. Too bad the old streetcars didn't have bogie skirts.

BlogTO has photos: http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/11/ttc_officially_unveils_its_new_bombardier_streetcars/

Not liking the 2x2 seating with the narrow walkway/aisle in between. Why are they not using 2x1, as on the current streetcars? When it's crowded, when there are people with large bags or parents with strollers... it's difficult to move down the current wider aisle. I would seem to be impossible with the narrow aisle.

Not crazy about the facing seats, either. Seems like there is not enough leg room, and I can imagine people putting their feet on the opposite seat it it's unoccupied.

The low-floor setup needs the space under those seats.

20121115-front-seats.jpg

These seats still anger me. I brought it up to them that they should use the wider seat design (that exists elsewhere in the vehicle) in this location. They basically blew off the suggestion, saying that it would be a costly modification.

It's still a poor design.

Why would you need to move down the aisle, though? You can board and exit at any door, so there's no need to walk through the car. It's not like the current cars where there's a constant need to be moving towards the back of the car.

Why would you need to move down the aisle, though? You can board and exit at any door, so there's no need to walk through the car. It's not like the current cars where there's a constant need to be moving towards the back of the car.

People still move around on vehicles with multidoor boarding. Presumably we'll avoid the constant need to move back but people will still have to move into and out of those aisles.

Though, the aisle width is kind of determined by the bogies right? This seems like an inherent feature of low floor LRTs.

Back