News   Jul 17, 2024
 358     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 848     2 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 647     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Are there any directional signs on the sides where passengers will enter? Coudn't see one in the video. I think they would be needed especially on routes where more than one line travel (i.e. 504/505). I know that people in a rush off the subway needing to board the streetcar fast before they pull away need some sort of indication of which route the streetcar is taking, i.e. Dundas West station.

Are there any directional signs on the sides where passengers will enter?
The new illustration on the TTC website clearly shows 3 such signs on the side, and 1 on the rear. Presumably they'll all be controlled by a central switch, and they'll actually match each other now! A significant improvement!

View from the back:

Here are some photos of the car
[video=youtube;yd7M6I8xXZ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd7M6I8xXZ8[/video]

Finally, bogie skirts.

Toronto%20LFLRV%20-%202011%20-%20Rear%20Diagonal%20View.jpg

Should help covering up any noise from the wheels.

Checked the model out on the weekend with my younger daughter -- she thought the new ride (particularly the controls) was so cool that she declared that she knew what she wanted to be now -- a TTC driver!

To me, the seating arrangement (particularly the fold-down seats) are very reminiscent of the Métro in Paris. Looking forward to seeing one of these on Broadview in a few years.

I can't imagine that car drivers will find these attractive, though -- the boiling rage from having to sit for 30 seconds while the streetcar loads will only get worse. Or maybe some of my neighbours will start TTC'ing?

I can't imagine that car drivers will find these attractive, though -- the boiling rage from having to sit for 30 seconds while the streetcar loads will only get worse.
At most, they only hold twice as many people as the current cars - but they are loading through 4 times as many doors. Boarding is often quite slow currently, especially when someone is physically slow going up those stairs (which happens frequently, between small children and older people ... I see this most days). Boarding should be noticeably faster than current - this should make car drivers happy. Also, at peak periods, the streetcars won't be quite as frequent. This should also help cars.

At most, they only hold twice as many people as the current cars - but they are loading through 4 times as many doors. Boarding is often quite slow currently, especially when someone is physically slow going up those stairs (which happens frequently, between small children and older people ... I see this most days). Boarding should be noticeably faster than current - this should make car drivers happy. Also, at peak periods, the streetcars won't be quite as frequent. This should also help cars.

All sensible points, but I'll bet that when the first of these babies hits Dundas and Bay or the Carroll Street switch from Queen to King cars, some lunkhead will be crying about how long it takes to load.

Oh, I'm sure ... not matter if it's successful or not. I'm sure there'll be a media field-day ... and for the first accident.

I wasn't in Toronto when the Spadina ROW opened. Everyone seems to think it's a great success these days ... but how did the media react then? Will the media be thinking St. Clair is a big success 10 years from now ... the negative stories seem to have vanished of late, replaced by a few stories on how well development is doing in the area.

really, only twice as many? They look so much longer.

I'm not too knowledgable about the order, but the new streetcars would replace all that are currently in use, or just the more busy routes?

Was at the mock-up today. Had conversations with some of the staff on sight. Told them that I would like to see the return of the single green bull's eye light on front (reminiscent of the PCC's light), to contrast with the corresponding red stop light on top in the rear. Also told them about concerns how is a 10 year old kid to reach the stop request buttons.

Like the wide family seat especially made for people like Rob Ford, but I doubt he'll make use of the new streetcars.

If people think there will be twice as many riders on these cars, they are mistaken.

Once you start adding strollers, accessibility riders and bikes, along with the narrow aisles, most of any extra space will be gone.

Given the fact that there are 3.5 doors, how do riders get to the 2 TVM's on the car? A lot of free rides.

The tall people will be doing a lot of knee knocking than on GO coaches.

I would not hold my breath that the fleet will be replace by 2018, since the first batch of cars are moving to 2014 with the current delays, as well not having a carhouse ready for them.

At the same time, there will not be enough cars to handle the increase of ridership nor increase of service. You will still see CLRV's in service with the odd ALRV for charter, if any are retain at all, since the ALRV's will be the first to be removed from service.

All the overhead at Hillcrest is in the process of being converted to pantograph. Most of Bathurst St is pantograph ready with the except of a few intersections. St Clair is 100% ready, since it will be the testing line.

really, only twice as many? They look so much longer.
The CLRV streetcars (regular ones) are 15.27 metres (50.1 feet) long, not including the bumpers, while the ALRV (articulated ones on Queen) are 23.16 metres (76 feet) long. The new vehicles are 30.20 metres (99.1 feet) long. So the new ones are almost double the old ones about about 30% longer than the articulated ones.

thanks...and this is already budgeted for? seems that doubling capacty would help ease things a bit, yeah?
Already budgeted for. Contracts signed. The province has agreed to pay 1/3 of the cost.

Currently there are 195 short cars, and 52 long cars. They will both be completely replaced by the 204 new cars. Based on length, the 247 old cars are the equivalent of 4,182 metres of streetcar, while the new 204 cars is equivalent to 6,161 metres - a 47% increase in total capacity (assuming capacity is directly related to length). So yes, that should help ease things.

However, as part of Rob Ford's service cuts, they are proposing increasing loading standards (packing more people onto a streetcar) and reducing the order from 204 new cars to 189. But this would still represent a total length of 5,708 metres, which is a 36% increase over the current fleet.

Last edited:
If people think there will be twice as many riders on these cars, they are mistaken.

Once you start adding strollers, accessibility riders and bikes, along with the narrow aisles, most of any extra space will be gone.
That's a very good point. Since they removed that front pole, I've noticed A LOT more large strollers at the front of streetcars, often 2 at the same time.

Given the fact that there are 3.5 doors, how do riders get to the 2 TVM's on the car? A lot of free rides.
Presumably if there's only 2, then people who need to use it will board by a door near one, the same way on current POP routes, people who need to pay, load at the front door, instead of a rear door. I expect most people will either have a pass, or have purchased a ticket from the vending machine at the busier stops.

Back