News   May 14, 2024
 500     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 397     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 447     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

They already did the first time when they had a bunch of prototypes at the CNE a few years ago. Besides, what do you think the whole "Toronto Choose Your New Ride" website was all about. The public HAS had its say in the design of the new streetcars and probably won't listen to suggestions about adding a middle headlight.

We will see a model based on the initial input from the website and the elsewhere. After this weekend's input, we will get a prototype. After input from the prototype, then we get the production streetcars. There should be changes all along the way.

We will see a model based on the initial input from the website and the elsewhere. After this weekend's input, we will get a prototype. After input from the prototype, then we get the production streetcars. There should be changes all along the way.

Changes from the TTC staff I would assume..

Anyway -- Torontoist was at the unveiling today and have tweeted pictures:
Ad6M1SfCAAEQ50t.jpg:large

http://twitter.com/#!/torontoist

Woah, forget the middle light. We're going back to having actual route *names* on streetcars, assuming that destination sign exposure design lasts.

I don't get the obsession with a middle light. Can someone please explain this to me? I would think if it weren't in the RFP it wouldn't be important, and hence why it's not on the new LRV design.

I don't think the TTC has a choice over having a middle light or not. The new streetcars are nothing more than modified Bombardier's Flexity rolling stock. The only thing they will have unique is the two blue LED lights at the top front that is a carry over from the CLRV and ALRV. I think people don't want to lose the CLRV/ALRV that has become iconic to Toronto.

Can't agree, CodeMonkey. Take a look at some pictures of recent European tram models. Art nouveau, champagne glasses, nautical looks, etc. If the TTC wanted the front end of the new streetcars to look like Jack Layton, Bombardier would find a way to tack on a mustache.

I don't remember if this has been discussed before, but I really hope a bell is added to the new streetcars. It's not Toronto without a ding ding when streetcars approach each other.

I saw the mockup last night, it actually does have a separate Gong button. Apparently it's just an MP3 recording though.

Question.......Can these new streetcars be extended? I know they cannot be couple together suchas the new Eglinton LRT trains which are for rapid transit but can articulated sections be added to the middle of the train if needed at some point to increase capacity?

Question.......Can these new streetcars be extended? I know they cannot be couple together suchas the new Eglinton LRT trains which are for rapid transit but can articulated sections be added to the middle of the train if needed at some point to increase capacity?

Been done in other cities, but station and loop dimensions would limit expansion.

The new fleet already increases capacity and will meet demand. I guess they can add more individual cars to routes that grow further over the next 30 years but by then, it's unthinkable that we won't have started building a DRL. The city will be completely gridlocked if we don't. It's not an option, it's a question of life or death for Toronto.

The new LRT cannot be increase from the current length to 45m using 7 section without been redesign, according to Thunderbay. According to their competitors, their cars only required 2 extra sections being added with no redesigning.

Here is a video of the mockup shot today and 5 minutes long showing both the insides as well outside. could not get back as far I wanted to get a full shoot of the front.
[video=youtube;b0EvpnbpVWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0EvpnbpVWc[/video]

Back