News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 993     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 621     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

God your photo shows the true ugliness of our creation. We should have just dug a tunnel from Mt. Dennis to Kennedy. After all the delays and cost overruns of the overland system I can't imagine we saved much over going with a traditional subway. We could still run the LRT rolling stock, and Eglinton could have been narrowed, with proper separated bike lanes and nice street furniture etc. added in preparation for the coming residential boom along the street.
uhhh.. the delays are not on the overland but on the buried sections a la eglinton station.
i can guarantee you that the costs wouldve been at least a quarter billion more to bury the rest of the ECT, not to mention another 2 years.
they can probably do a better job with the OCS but this part and parcel of the system. dumping so much cash on a subway just because it looks better isnt always the best answer to our transportation problems.

I would probably be more partial to LRTs and streetcars if their energy source came from underneath at the track level instead of the pantograph, catenary setup that make our streets look cluttered and messy. I hate the spiderweb of cables located at the intersection of Spadina and Dundas. I can't stand the fact that the Eglinton & Finch LRT's catenary setup makes it look like we constructed hydro poles that run down the middle of the roads.

View attachment 553090
We're talking about the same TTC who acts like the world is about to collapse if streetcars travel through track switches and intersections at greater than 10km/h, so just imagine how things would get if streetcars used some kind of underground system to power streetcars.

uhhh.. the delays are not on the overland but on the buried sections a la eglinton station.
i can guarantee you that the costs wouldve been at least a quarter billion more to bury the rest of the ECT, not to mention another 2 years.
they can probably do a better job with the OCS but this part and parcel of the system. dumping so much cash on a subway just because it looks better isnt always the best answer to our transportation problems.
God your photo shows the true ugliness of our creation. We should have just dug a tunnel from Mt. Dennis to Kennedy. After all the delays and cost overruns of the overland system I can't imagine we saved much over going with a traditional subway. We could still run the LRT rolling stock, and Eglinton could have been narrowed, with proper separated bike lanes and nice street furniture etc. added in preparation for the coming residential boom along the street.
The grassy sections do look a lot less ugly luckily, The OCS is HORRIBLE at some spots along finch :/

Unrelated but lets play a game of count the poles!

poles.png

OCS is always going to look awful with a telesmash'd photo like that.

Look at it in person with your eye instead, and it is not nearly as bad.

5 of those poles are wooden and so are temporary. Thanks for playing?

Dan
All but 1 of the "temporary" poles have been there for at least 5 years

I would probably be more partial to LRTs and streetcars if their energy source came from underneath at the track level instead of the pantograph, catenary setup that make our streets look cluttered and messy. I hate the spiderweb of cables located at the intersection of Spadina and Dundas. I can't stand the fact that the Eglinton & Finch LRT's catenary setup makes it look like we constructed hydro poles that run down the middle of the roads.

View attachment 553090
I hope you are consistent in the application of this energy towards ugly concrete guideways that will carry automated light metros.

I hope you are consistent in the application of this energy towards ugly concrete guideways that will carry automated light metros.
I am. I was in Vancouver last month where I saw and rode the Skytrain for the first time. I found them to be much more aesthetically pleasing that the street level LRTs we're constructing here in Toronto.

I was in Calgary in January where the C-train track setup is absolutely atrocious looking. Including the Jersey barriers separating the tracks from the road traffic, and railroad crossing arms in the middle of intersections. The C-trains saving grace was the sheer speed the trains were allowed to travel at. I didn't even know LRTs could move that fast. Been stuck living in this Ontario bubble with slow LRTs.

Last edited:
There's a photo posted in the Canadian Trains group on FB today of 4471 sitting high and dry at T Bay next to the 4614 which was loaded on a flat and ready to go.

- Paul
4614 was offloaded yesterday, 4615 to be offloaded on Thursday subject to CP dropping the car off today. 4615 is also tag

4612 enter service on Route 504A on April 2nd

As to when 4471 will/may return, take a dart at 2025 calendar and hope for the best. Once the current sixty cars are built, the two flood cars will/may see work.

4615 was offloaded today and that makes it the 12th car to arrive out the plan sixty for the current order so far.

4614 started its burn in and testing yesterday after arriving April 2 and spending time in the service bays now.

4613 could enter service this week

4614 was offloaded yesterday, 4615 to be offloaded on Thursday subject to CP dropping the car off today. 4615 is also tag

4612 enter service on Route 504A on April 2nd

As to when 4471 will/may return, take a dart at 2025 calendar and hope for the best. Once the current sixty cars are built, the two flood cars will/may see work.
Curious what the insurance terms look like for the flood cars, they could be out for close to a decade for all we know

Curious what the insurance terms look like for the flood cars, they could be out for close to a decade for all we know
Your guess is good as everyone else guesses.

I thought they would be the first two cars to show up as protypes before the new sixty ones and that was not the case. They may now show up after the last of the sixty cars are built and that could be in 2025.

They are currently sitting in TB where they have been for the last few years. TTC is paying for them to be rebuilt with funds in place as to when every they are rebuilt. Coming up to their 6th years of being out of service with a few months of wear and tear on them.

4613 has enter service on 503 from Russell yard. It was moved back to the Barns last week for some work and then moved back to Russell.

4614 has been over at Russell the last few days for final work

4515 has spent time in the service bays after a few days of testing and was back out test yesterday.

4616 was offloaded Tuesday with graffiti on the windshield

4616 has started its burn-in and testing. It is out on Quen as I post.

4615 may have completed its burn-in and testing last night as it has spent a day or so between being out as it was spending time in the service bay.

4614 is over at Russell for its SWIS work.

Back